CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rumor is that the new iPhone 6 which comes out in September is going to be bigger by 0.7 inches. My iPhone 5 barely fits in the top right compartment with the USB port so I am pretty certain the new model won't fit. I will probably hold off upgrading because of this.

This is disappointing. I really like being able to keep my phone charged on long trips.

I guess I could get a tank bag and leave the compartment open and run the USB cable to that, but that seems less than ideal.

Any other iPhone / bigger phone users have any other ideas?

David

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Blue tooth!

And Bob wired a power outlet into one of his bags -- that would work with a mobile charger.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Blue tooth!

And Bob wired a power outlet into one of his bags -- that would work with a mobile charger.
And HERE THAT is.
I put it in the right saddlebag since I wanted to use it for charging devices on the road/ride and cannot do that where Honda puts the official, and MUCH more expensive, 12v socket. I did use the cable that Honda so graciously provided taped and sealed laying across the center under the seat. So nice of them. That cable also gets power, only when the bike is on ACC or running, from a 10 amp fuse also pre-wired and provided by Honda. My photos do also show an additional 12v socket that I did put under the seat for emergency use only. I added the wires for that directly from the battery through a 15 amp inline fuse. My mini Slime air pump that I bring along on trips needs the 15 amps and I don't trust the factory wires to handle more fuse amps than the factory puts in. For the socket in the saddlebag I put the wires through the gromet first and then crimped the quick disconnects on the ends. I also used the factory plug with the pins I indicated in that other post. Allows me to unplug at the bike to remove the saddlebag, and also unplug at the quick disconnects to replace the socket if needed.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Do you have a Battery Tender? for $12, you can buy an adapter that turns the Battery Tender into a USB charger:

Battery Tender USB Charge Port

I got mine from Amazon, works great, but don't plug anything into it when the bike isn't running. I can post pics later on. Also, be aware: my phone didn't take enough power from the bike's integrated USB port on my last long trip, and it ended up going dead. When it got close to being dead, the phone crashed every time I plugged it into the bike's USB port, possibly because the bike kept looking for a media player. I'll give more info about this after I have everything set-up for pictures. I can't take a picture of my phone in my Ram mount with my phone haha. :)

Reactions: sleepngbear

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a Battery Tender? for $12, you can buy an adapter that turns the Battery Tender into a USB charger:

Battery Tender USB Charge Port

I got mine from Amazon, works great, but don't plug anything into it when the bike isn't running. I can post pics later on. Also, be aware: my phone didn't take enough power from the bike's integrated USB port on my last long trip, and it ended up going dead. When it got close to being dead, the phone crashed every time I plugged it into the bike's USB port, possibly because the bike kept looking for a media player. I'll give more info about this after I have everything set-up for pictures. I can't take a picture of my phone in my Ram mount with my phone haha. :)
That sounds perfect. Thanks, Shane. I would have never thought to have looked for one of those.

Interesting about the phone not staying charged when plugged into the USB port. My phone seems to charge when plugged in, but I will pay closer attention now.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
That sounds perfect. Thanks, Shane. I would have never thought to have looked for one of those.

Interesting about the phone not staying charged when plugged into the USB port. My phone seems to charge when plugged in, but I will pay closer attention now.
My phone seemed to do fine for about 5 hours, but I'm pretty sure the combination of GPS and full screen brightness is what did it in. The phone used JUST enough extra juice to slowly bleed out even when plugged in. I haven't checked to see if the same thing happens with the new Battery Tender USB connection, but at the very least I know there won't be an issue with the bike looking for a media player and the phone having a hissy fit as a result. Of course, dummy me, I didn't even try to switch the audio on the bike off, because I was routing the phone GPS audio to the bike's bluetooth... another thing which I'm sure helped drain the battery. Full report coming soon! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GPS really drains the battery, at least on the iPhone, so that probably explains it. I was just listening to music and it seemed to charge fine.

I ordered the battery tender to USB adapter, so thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
One reason I don't use my phone for GPS on the bike. I like having a dedicated device for certain tasks. GPS is one, and I have the directly connected power feed for it. My phone is for phone calls only while riding (BT to my helmet directly). My SD card or mp3 player is for music through the speakers. My mp3 player has a 70 hour battery life but don't need that since it's not BT so it's plugged into the USB cable and stays charged. That way I still have 70 hours of play time at the campsite. If I use up battery on any device while at the campsite, and not riding, I have a 12,000 mAh battery charger with 2 USB ports, 1 amp and 2 amp, to charge up my devices. That will charge my tablet and my phone a few times. Then I have to go for a ride to charge up the charger in my saddlebag :D

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
I suggest installing the 12V accessory socket. My phone is the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and it is HUGE :eek: I knew that the top right pocket on the bike would not work for me. I use it for the garage door opener and my IPOD.

I installed the 12V socket is under 5 minutes. The instructions provided by Honda are a bit to much... all you need to do is bolt the thing on and plug it in.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I suggest installing the 12V accessory socket. My phone is the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and it is HUGE :eek: I knew that the top right pocket on the bike would not work for me. I use it for the garage door opener and my IPOD.

I installed the 12V socket is under 5 minutes. The instructions provided by Honda are a bit to much... all you need to do is bolt the thing on and plug it in.
Where do you put your phone while it is charging while riding? The Honda location for the accessory is in under the seat, in the space inside the cover just behind the right shock outside the frame. The only options I could see were to have the phone under the seat or somehow tied on the pillion or in a tail bag. I suppose you could run the phone cable into the saddlebag but that would pinch it. That's why I used the factory provided connector but ran my own cable into the right saddlebag for the socket mounted inside there.:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked at the installation instructions and couldn't tell if the outlet is under the seat or next to it. It looked like it was accessible without removing the seat in the diagrams, but it was hard to tell.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If the iPhone 6 is even longer than the 5, Apple might lose me as a customer unless there's an amazingly good reason for it. I was irritated enough by the length increase from the 4 to the 5. They justified it as making it the correct aspect ratio for HD movies...because that's what I want to use my cell phone for. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a couple of the Battery Tender SAE/USB pieces, also bought at Amazon - as well as their voltage monitor. I picked up the SAE pigtail that splits one SAE lead into four outputs - and connect the USB outlets to those.
Kept that in the tankbag of my FJR to charge the phone, iPod, etc and have one left over to go SAE/coax for the Gerbring controller.

The CTX is not tankbag friendly though, and those little accessory pockets are really too tiny to be much use.....will probably find a handlebar bag that I can run the SAE tender pigtail into off the battery, and keep the USB connectors and stuff I want to charge, in that.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
.....will probably find a handlebar bag that I can run the SAE tender pigtail into off the battery, and keep the USB connectors and stuff I want to charge, in that.
On my 600-mile trip, I stopped in to Walmart half an hour into my ride and bought a (CHEAP!) bicycle handlebar bag. For as little as I plan to use it, it is perfect. It connects to the CTX's handlebars with two strong velcro straps. Phone, spare gloves, kickstand pad, and external battery pack it in perfectly with more room to spare. This was before I hooked up the Battery Tender and USB charger. I know it isn't strictly made for motorcycles, but just thought I would toss it out there: sometimes jiggering works! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts

Battery Tender USB Charge Port :)
I had read elsewhere in the forum that some dealers provided a battery tender. Assuming mine didn't, I looked in my owner's manual and see that the battery is under the left inner panel.

Is the procedure to install a tender cable and have it peak out from under the inner panel?
If that were the case, the iPhone charging cord could easily reach my handlebar mounted iPhone.
(I used a Mophie which provided several additional hours of power, but the charging cable would be great).

Looking for guidance...

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
It's actually not the Battery Tender itself that is provided by some dealers. What I've seen, and also noticed in at least one photo online, is the Battery Tender PIGTAIL that is peeking out on the top fin of the left shroud under the battery. What Shane is referring to is also just the pigtail connected to the battery. My local dealer does provide that but the dealer where I bought my bike does not. No biggie for me though, since I don't have a Battery Tender brand maintainer (big difference between a battery charger and a battery maintainer, but that's another story). I have an AccuMate Battery Maintainer from WestCo Battery. It uses a different connector on the end of the pigtail so I would have removed the one provided by the dealer anyway.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
On my 600-mile trip, I stopped in to Walmart half an hour into my ride and bought a (CHEAP!) bicycle handlebar bag. For as little as I plan to use it, it is perfect. It connects to the CTX's handlebars with two strong velcro straps. Phone, spare gloves, kickstand pad, and external battery pack it in perfectly with more room to spare. This was before I hooked up the Battery Tender and USB charger. I know it isn't strictly made for motorcycles, but just thought I would toss it out there: sometimes jiggering works! :)
@shane, I went and got that bag (Bell) and it seems a bit high for me. I'm only 5'10" and have a problem seeing the dash. Looks perfect for someone a smidgen taller.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts