CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a centerstand, don't read this. If you don't then you've probably struggled with checking the oil level in your CTX 1300. You've probably tried that delicate balance thing where you grab the handle bars and pull the bike into the upright position and then bend over and try to find the sight glass. Good luck with that one and don't pull it too far toward you or here comes 730 pounds of metal and plastic. Here is an easier approach. Sit on the bike and get it perfectly upright. Then reach down with your cell phone and snap a pic of the sight glass. Looks like this:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Genius! I use my phone a dozen times a day for things like this... Never considered using it to check the oil level. Thanks, Flytrap!

·
Registered
314 Posts
You're suppose to check the oil?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Brilliant :smiley-party0005:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I've owned 12 Hondas since 1988 and never had one that I had to add oil. They are just great. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
I wonder if an Android can do this? ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I've owned 12 Hondas since 1988 and never had one that I had to add oil. They are just great. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
I wonder if an Android can do this? ;)

I haven't owned as many Hondas, I haven't even owned as many bikes. But I have had the same results with most of the bikes I've owned. I only had to add oil to my first bike back in '79-'81... a Harley! :eek:

Oh, and yes, an Android CAN do this. Any smart phone can. In fact anything with a camera can. The trick is aiming in the right place. @flytrap, I wonder how many takes was it to get a good shot like that?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
This trick seems most useful for just after you change the oil or have the shop do it. A little bit of confirmation is always useful. :)
I've never had to add oil to either this bike or my previous Magna. Just got my centerstand in, so I won't have to use this tip after my next oil change.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I lay the edge of the phone on the arm of the brake pedal. If I tilt the phone just right the image shows on the screen before I push the button. So..it only takes one shot. I'll admit I'm a little obsessive about checking the oil after owning an oil head BMW that used a quart every 1000 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts