CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a lot of people who either have a much older Gold Wing or seem to (think they) know them, who stop and ask me if the CTX is "the new Gold Wing" or sometimes just "the new one." Most recently a 78-year-old guy with a GL1500 pulled up next to me at a stop light and asked that.

There's often a moment of awkward confusion in these conversations as I explain that it's a new model and that the Gold Wing still exists too.

Do other folks find themselves having this conversation too?

Jeff

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't but the answer for the 78 year old gentleman that is still riding ( my hat's off to him ) is "Yes, as a matter of fact, it is, at least for us older guys that don't want to ride 900 lb. plus bikes anymore! "

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I haven't had that happen. I've had several Adv riders to call it a mini wing.
My response would have been something along the lines "Morning sir, nice ride you got there. This is Honda's new cruiser with the detuned ST1300 engine. Not as comfy as yours but for me, a bit more fun".

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Did have one person ask that. But they really didn't know bikes very well in general, not a rider. Most just ask "what is that?"
Thinking of this question reminds me again of why I like this bike so much. I loved my GL1500, but it was just too bulky and heavy for me in many situations. I didn't like wrestling it around in tighter traffic. Since it wasn't living up to my mpg expectations (my Corolla got the same mpg) I sold it and started my search for something just the same in comfort but not as bulky and better mpg. I tried the Burgman. That satisfied in the mpg and less bulk things but not so much the comfort for LD riding. Then I tried the ST1100. That also satisfied in mpg and less bulk, but also not so much in LD comfort. Better than the Burgman, it was good but not quite there yet. The CTX1300 is perfect. Just what I've been searching for. So to add to this question. This bike is my 2/3 Gold Wing. :D

BTW @willajabir, that would be "RE"-tuned ST1300 engine. :D
Remember, it may not have as high a peak hp or torque, but below 5000 rpm it has more of both than the ST1300. :D :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should add that every time I've gotten this question, I've had the bike configured with the tall touring screen and rear top case.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
How about a "Reimagined Goldwing?"

Gets around my [barely] concealed belief that that the CTX is better than the Goldwing. [From a former Goldwing owner who didn't want the weight.]

·
Registered
143 Posts
I haven't had the GoldWing question, but I do have two funny stories that make this bike unique. I have the read Honda factory top box, and the taller windscreen, which makes the bike look very different than it is delivered.

My college roommate from 30 years ago recently purchased a new 2015 Indian Vintage. He had a BMW K1200Gt prior to this, and he hadn't ridden for a few years, so I coaxed him into another bike. He had considered the CTX 1300, but the dealer only had Red and wasn't interested in finding a different color for him, he purchased the Indian. Nice bike, black with the tan saddlebags and seats, so it really pops.

We wen't for our first ride, and as we were having a beer in the parking lot after a few hundred miles, I was telling him about how the Indian is going to be a conversation piece for sure. A few people came out of the lounge area, and the bike had caught their eye, so these older guys came up and wanted to talk motorcycles...the HONDA! They made 1 comment about the Indian looking nice, but wanted to know everything about the Honda. Why? They had owned Honda's before, and didn't even know Honda was building anything like this.

Last night, on our way back from the lake resort, we stopped to have a beer about 30 miles from home in a small Iowa town. We were debriefing the road we just tackled, when a farmer pulls up after turning around his 3/4 ton diesel pickup, and wanted to know what kind of bike that was. No...not the Indian, he said he had one sitting in a crate with his name on it, but didn't seem to care about that, he wanted to know what kind of bike the Honda was.

So...it draws attention. I think to mess with their heads, I am going to tell them this is the new old Gold Wing :)

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Reactions: bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't been asked if it is Gold Wing; however, several different people have asked me if it was a BMW. I am not sure how I should feel about that. The CTX does look enough like the F6B to justify a little confusion.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Ha! Why not just drive a car! I did have one person (after quick glance in the parking lot) ask if I got a BMW...I think it's the medallion size and location. One thing that was funny was when I was parked in chik-fil-a lot and standing about 20 feet from my bike when a guy pulled up behind it, got out, looked at the bike and to himself said "CTX?", took a few pics with his phone and then just as quick as he appeared, he was gone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got the "Is that a Goldwing" question from a homeless guy at Circle K the other morning. More like the little brother of the mighty G. bd.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Last year, about a week after I got mine, a local town police officer walked up to me while I was filling up at a gas station and asked if my bike was the "new Goldwing." I asked him if he meant the Valkyrie or the F6B, and the confused look on his face told me that he didn't know, so I spent the next 15 minutes telling him all about the bikes. He loved that the CTX1300 didn't look like a barge. He also snapped a pic of it, which made me a little nervous since I ride through that town at least 4 times a week. Now I have to watch my speedometer for sure, haha. Also, I had the bike for awhile when I was talking with my neighbor and discovered that he though I had a BMW. I think maybe this bike is just so different that people don't really know how to take it. Admittedly, the bike that is parked in the parking lot now waiting for my ride home is the very first CTX1300 I had ever laid eyes on. I mean, I hadn't seen it in magazines or anything before I saw it at the dealership. It was love at first sight, and I think that happens to a lot of people. (Not gonna say a word about those twisted folks who hate on it as soon as they see it, except to say "to each his own.")

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Something like this?
Goldwing wif roof 2 by AndreLim, on Flickr
I've seen a couple of these on the road in the past few years. But this is really a two wheeled golf cart.

No, to complete the RV look, the awning would deploy from the right side. As much as a GW weighs, the added bulk shouldn't be a problem.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
I have had a few people comment on the bike being close to a Gold Wing. Just yesterday at our local Cycle Gear location a few guys asked me if it was the new GL model. When I pull up to a F6B folks seem to thing they are the same (when looking from the front). Then they see the rest of the bike and think I have the smaller version of the same bike.

I also get BMW folks who cant tell from a distance, but when they get close they see the Honda logo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I consider the CTX a middleweight F6b to a point . Add a trunk and a visor and it's a Goldwing Jr. I talked to a woman at the Honda dealer the other day who was looking at an F6B after wrecking her Goldie. Shewanted something lighter. I looked at her in honestly and told her to stop looking at the F6B and start looking at the CTX. After she looked at it hard she said it's basically a lighter weight Goldie. It was hard not to disagree.. Especially the Deluxe model.

Reactions: bob

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
On my way home yesterday I got stuck in some traffic. There I was sitting on the bike with the stereo blasting and waiting for traffic to move. Then a guy off in the distance yelled at me. He was in a barn on a farm off the road. I acted like I didn't notice him. He started walking my way. As he got closer I noticed he looked kinda rough, messy long hair, missing most of his teeth, all beat up looking. He seemed to be in his 30s but looked older. He was wearing a Sons Of Anarchy shirt. When he got to me he said "I thought that bike was a BMW! It's a HONDA! Great looking bike dude." Then he walked slowly back to his barn.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got the BMW comment from a fellow at the gas station this morning. I spent a few minutes explaining what it was. He said that it may be his next bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts