CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...my wife and I went to a local dealer the other day to try and see what a 2014 CTX 1300 Deluxe (Black) would run me. In the end, I ended up walking out without the bike, and a tad irritated.

I wanted to throw out the scenario and pricing I got here, and see if I'm just naive and not 'getting it', or are they sticking it too me?...sorry a bit wordy, and some details are vague (I was flustered to say the least), but I'll do my best...

The dealer has a brand new black CTX Deluxe on the showroom floor listed for $9,499. I was pretty stoked.

For my part, I had a $2,500 bike trade, and $500-1000 cash (if needed). I would be doing financing through the dealer. I thought ****, with my trade and a few bucks down on a bike that's $9,499, I might get a deal, and not have big monthly payment for umpteen years (which is what I was aiming for)!

Well, I was wrong...long story short...

What he came back with was, @ 5.5% (best rate I could get - even with bumping up to "tier 1" supposdly), my payments would have run "around" $199/mo. for 60 months. Now, that might not be a lot, and I "can" afford it if I wanted...but...that just seems very high and an awful long time to pay on a bike that's $9,499? Especially when i have $2,500 to trade, and some cash?

I was sort of irked when he came back and gave me the finance 'song and dance', so I don't remember all the details he was spouting out...but...

To show me how much of deal I was getting, he broke down the cost/payments in 2 ways: full retail price and the sale price. He was all excited to show me the deal and how lucky I was :)

For the full retail breakdown, it came out to be like $19-20K and $240+/mo, or something along those lines. Again, I was flustered do details were out the window...

For the sale price breakdown ($9,499), I do recall the final amount he came up with with fees/taxes and everything was like $15,499...that's on a $9,499 bike (!). And only "then" did he start subtracting my down payment and trade. So I guess he added up fees/taxes everything off the top, and then too my trade/dp and worked from there. I figured they would take my trade and dp off the initial $9499, but I guess that's must me being naive/not knowing how it all works (?). He also mentioned some crazy $850 fee for prep/un-crating, etc?...just nuts...

I wish I could remember better details with the numbers, but man, I was just annoyed (and so wasn't my wife - not a good thing)!

I guess what I'm trying to wrap my head around is how does a bike that's $9,499 end up costing $15,499 off the top?

I know $9,499 for that bike is a deal for sure...but with $2,500/trade and $500-1000 down, is $199/mo for 60 mo. a good deal?

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Hind sight is 20/20 -- but when you find yourself getting that flustered, you probably should have put on the brakes, get the figures in writing, and then tell the guy you need a while to chew on it and understand what you're about to get into.

I ran those numbers through a reverse loan calculator: $199 a month for 5 years at 5.5% comes out to a principle of $10,418.21. That's $919 over the $9,499, which wouldn't be bad by itself, but it does not account for your trade. I'm guessing that buried somewhere in all his jibber-jabbering was an actual trade-in allowance that was less than the $2,500 you expected; or he just worked in enough crap to bring the sale price of the bike up to $11,999, which isn't really bad for a Deluxe. They're still showing on the Honda site at $17,499. So if you do factor in $2,500 for your trade, you still got $5,500 off sticker and then about $900 in various fees added in.

In all the paperwork they generate there should be a full disclosure of all the terms of the financing; it's a mile-long sheet that includes details of everything you paid, everything you financed, and how much of your final total payout is finance charges (interest). It can be confusing, but when you're in a calmer state of mind, it should tell you everything about the deal. You didn't quite get a steal, but that price is pretty good. If it makes you feel any better, I put a deposit down on my Standard before any were in the local dealerships and bought it the day after it came off the truck. The bike I traded was two years old, and I was lucky they allowed me what I owed on the loan for a trade. Let's say my loan payment is quite a bit higher than yours.

I had a similar experience when we traded my wife's car for a new/old Tiguan earlier this year. It was advertised as $5K off sticker because it was a 2014 model. The guy started giving us a load of crap about the trade-in value we wanted, saying he couldn't come close to blue-book AND give us the advertised price on the new car. It was literally one of those cases where we were getting up and leave when this jackass finally realized he was going to lose the sale if he didn't stop treating us like idiots. That's the game they play. You have to be really shrewd, keep your cool, and be ready to leave without your new vehicle if you don't like what you're hearing.

Edit: Oops, sorry -- you did put on the brakes. I misread! Good on you. Take your time, go through the numbers, and see what they're really offering.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
All I can say is the Honda dealer in St. Augustine Fl, First Coast Powersports, sold me my bike for $9999. After fees, tax, and I also paid for the extended warranty which I think was around $700, I was out the door at $12,000 without a trade. I also financed it through them. Not sure who you went to but if you're in Florida I would definitely check them out.

·
Registered
406 Posts
VANHAMMERSLEY,, Have I got a deal for you. Blue deluxe with a WHOLE lot of options, including a new russell day long touring heated saddle. tailtrunk riders backrest ,,menosabes custom made highway peg and light mounts, ROX handlebar pull backs both windshields, bag liners, 8200.00 or BEST reasonable offer

·
Registered
86 Posts
VH: There are a few things that simply do not add up with those numbers, so good thing you walked. I have walked out of at least three car dealerships for the same reasons. The salespeople count on us to be caught up in the emotion and excitement of buying the shiny new object of our obsession. Which is why I fix into my head the exact number I can live with and walk if it isn't that number.

I once haggled with a sales person, then the sales mgr -- for two and a half hours. Never again. I told them right up front the number I needed was probably out of their reach but they wanted to make a sales goal for a car sales event. So, I got the deal I wanted ultimately. But I don't get why they feel the need to play games. I despise it. Which is why I am anxious about going through this to get this motorcycle.

There is ALWAYS another dealer out there willing to work with you. Tell the dealer the number you need and that you are not interested in playing lots of word games to get there. This is not complicated stuff. They make it that way.

You do not have to finance through them either. My local bank can do a lot better than 5.5% for top tier credit. But only you know if you qualify for the best interest rate and have the credit leverage.

Not sure where you are located but in South Dakota where I live, not many motorcycle sales occur after September. That dealer will be sitting on inventory for 6 mos and it's dead weight to them.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Good for you for refusing this confusing offer. Now you are open to better deals possibly. I haven't financed a bike ever since I always prefer to pay up front and then enjoy without that monthly pain. I know not everyone is able to do that but it's saved me a load of interest that I never had to pay. Bought my last 4-5 cars that way too. Wish I could have done that with the house but some things are just beyond the bank balance. I'm like Ed and paid the price when it was still newly introduced. But I did shop around a lot and asked for OTD (Out the Door) quotes from nearly every dealer in the state and also referred those dealers to deals I had been reading about in other states. The one who got my money matched the best deal to be found in the country at the time for both price AND discount on accessories. They are still my go-to place for anything else I decide to buy from Honda even though they are 3 hours away and I have 4 dealers much closer... including the local dealer who seems to think MSRP means Mandatory SuckeR Pricing. I just told them I was going for a ride... to the other dealer who was willing to actually sell one. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
too much jibber jabber

$199 for five years sounds very high to me. And sounds like too much jibber jabber and dancing around for my taste. But that's a great price on a new bike and if you really want it, you could try to cut thru their BS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$199 for five years sounds very high to me. And sounds like too much jibber jabber and dancing around for my taste. But that's a great price on a new bike and if you really want it, you could try to cut thru their BS.
Yeah, I'm bummed to pass on the price...but as you said the "jibber jabber" was too much. I felt totally uncomfortable...wasn't hard to walk my butt out of there :) Lesson learned...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good for you for refusing this confusing offer. Now you are open to better deals possibly...MSRP means Mandatory SuckeR Pricing. I just told them I was going for a ride... to the other dealer who was willing to actually sell one. :D
Thanks for the info bob. Yeah, I'm glad I walked. My younger self would have bit, but I've lived and learned :) MSRP, too funny! When I get back to looking, I'm going to definitely check on the OTD pricing upfront, and try not to waste time next time around.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When you finance a bike through the dealer, they make an extraordinary amount on the financing. Here in Australia it's not uncommon for the dealer to make more on the financing than on the sale of the bike itself.

Get a Ride Away price, and then arrive with a cheque from your bank. That will be cheaper, and won't line their pockets further.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do your research and it will pay if you want to get a great deal on a super bike!! With few exceptions, guys/gals(?) on this forum love this bike.

If you simply look on Cycletrader you will find that there are still approximately 500 CTX 1300s new on dealer floors(there may be some duplicates between base and deluxe model). Honda did not make this bike in 2015 and it is not clear if they will make it in 2016. If you look around the country right now dealers are blowing these bikes out at huge discounts some approaching 40/50%.

For those looking for a unique sport/cruiser/tour at list price the CTX 1300 was good value and with the $3000 bonus bucks that Honda offered it was a great value. Today with the current close out pricing I believe it is "the" most bike that you can in the market....period.

Go buy one and get ready for symptoms of a sore jaw due to the big ass smile this bike will permanently plant on your face.

Go

1 - 13 of 13 Posts