CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through the comments on tire longevity and grip, I feel like I'm standing next to Monty Hall trying to decide on door number 1, 2 or 3.
AAHHHH!

But I've picked up on a few ideas on tires and air pressure. Thanks @bob.

Got some pointers on what handles better in curves. Thanks @HansenCTX.

Through the process of elimination 200/55 size is out, my trailer hitch won't allow that.

Personal experience with the Shinko Advance 005 eliminates that one. Doesn't last long.

My current tire, Bridgestone G852 lasted 10k miles before belts started showing. But I don't like the wet handling.
The Excedra Max seems to have a short lifespan for some.

The Metzler ME888 is out. Seems like it isn't lasting as long as advertised and the added expense doesn't help justify using it over another brand that's cheaper and lasts as long.
And can slip in the twisties, no good with a trailer pushing at the rear.

A friend had Avon on a Road Gluide Ultra and loved them. The tires lasted a long time and gripped the pavement.

So it's going to be door number 4 Monty! And behind door number 4 is an Avon Spirit ST.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX1300
91 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX1300
91 Posts
guys guys guys, I meant to only suggest the K671, not the size that popped up on the link. no one thinks a 130 is proper, lol.

Reactions: Stlburd2 and bob

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX1300
91 Posts
hmmm, looking further, Kenda doesn't seem to make a 200/50R-17 in any model.
I recommended Kenda because I have been so very impressed with the quality of these tires. Considering their cost, they are great value. I now have them on my dual-sport and my moto guzzi.

·
Registered
84 Posts
so, what have we determined, the Avon tires? I keep hearing the Michelin Commander 3 are decent.
I've had unbelievable wear on the Dunlops on my new to me bike. They were a little worn but decent when I bought the bike, fast forward 2 months, and the back is showing cord between the tread that remains.
My bigger problem is my mechanic will only put on a tire you buy thru him, and dropping the shaft is not something I will endeavor.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
so, what have we determined, the Avon tires? I keep hearing the Michelin Commander 3 are decent.
I've had unbelievable wear on the Dunlops on my new to me bike. They were a little worn but decent when I bought the bike, fast forward 2 months, and the back is showing cord between the tread that remains.
My bigger problem is my mechanic will only put on a tire you buy thru him, and dropping the shaft is not something I will endeavor.
I can't use the Commander III. It's a 200/55 size and my trailer hitch is too close to the tire, there's only a half inch of space left with a 200/50.
You can still change the rear tire yourself. The shaft drive is inside the swing arm, all you do is pull the wheel out of the hub, which stays attached to the swing arm.
And I Love the Avon tire. Read the link.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
No need to remove any shaft. I actually watched my trusted mechanic swap out my rear tire in like 30 min. Two guys working together. One tilted the bike to the left on the center stand while the other slid the tire/wheel out to the right. Same thing to install. No lift or anything. He even commented he should never have let me watch knowing their labor rate. 😂

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No need to remove any shaft. I actually watched my trusted mechanic swap out my rear tire in like 30 min. Two guys working together. One tilted the bike to the left on the center stand while the other slid the tire/wheel out to the right. Same thing to install. No lift or anything. He even commented he should never have let me watch knowing their labor rate. 😂
Once read this: Someone can't get their safe open. The locksmith sprays WD40 in the dail and it works. The customer complains the bill is too high for just spraying the dial.
The answer, You pay me for what I know, not what I do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts