CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bit the bullet today and bought my first ever brand new motorcycle in the colour I wanted - blue.
I read a number of posts here first about the snap in the handle bars when going over small bumps and the wump on the rear with larger bumps. So i was not surprised when I went for a test ride. I have also been reading about top boxes - Honda and Givi and other accessories.
I am planning on taking a long trip in July to the Cabot Trail and will be gone 2 to 3 weeks.
Has any one summarized in one spot the information about what works and what does not as far as making the the suspension a less stiff ? How hard is it to change the oil to 5w and how much difference does it make ?
I am also wondering about the pros and cons of the Honda top box vs aftermarket besides the colour and price ?
Any tips to point me in the right direction would be appreciated as after I have read a number of dirrect threads it gets a bit confusing.
thanks
James

Attachments

Reactions: willajabir and bob

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
IMO as long as you drive on paved and maintained roads you probably don't need to do much with suspensions (beside adjusting rear pre-load).
Mostly you'll get used to the occasional bump, at least wait the first service (~800 miles) before making any decision: things may improve with mileage.
I think the Honda top box is adequate, the Givi top boxes are not really matching the CTX style and the rack/attachment is not as good looking as the Honda rack.
BTW Honda top box is actually made in Italy (probably by Givi itself).
Bear in mind, the Honda top box uses the ignition key so you don't have to carry extra keys just for the trunk.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Congrats on the buy! That colour just really looks nice in any light :D
Can't help on how easy it is to change out the fork oil since I haven't done it. I do agree with the wait for a time idea. Mine has softened up a lot since new. I now have just under 9100 miles on the bike. I did adjust the rear and found improvement there that suits me. Based on my experience with top cases on other bikes the after market does cost a bit less, how much depends on what brand and model. But the Honda box matches the bike best in both colour and style. It's a really personal thing. On my Burgman scoot I added the Givi e52. On my ST I didn't want to spend the cash and added a Bestem 2012 top case. The Givi sure was nice, but the Bestem surprised in that it was more than up to the task and plenty for what was needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts