CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I want to share my mod for the throttle manage. The first think I do was on the grip, reducing the ratio at the cable base and increasing in the throttle drum. The second and third was closing the pair valve and O2 sensor eliminator. For the O2 sensor eliminator you need a 300 ohms resistor with a heat shrink and I found the connector in Cycle Terminal, You need a soldering tool to put the resistor on the connector ,two 4pin-HV.040 female connector 4.95 each one plus shipping. The connectors are located on the black cover back near the seat. on the left side the connector is the blue one, in the right side is black and is located in the middle of the 3 connectors. To close the pair valve hose I used two rubber hose caps from Pepboys.I can said the bike runs much much more smooth on the throttle manage on all gears at any speed and is better with the girl on back no engine light and if you have a warranty issue only need to removed it and connect back all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reactions: sleepngbear

·
Registered
446 Posts
Some people just don't get the point and do things out of mere habit or because there's a legend going around claiming that if you do X you get Y.

But then again, it's not my bike, not my money/licence and not my emission laws ;-)

Oh and about the "no way they can tell" part, this is not the '80s anymore. The ECU will record a freeze frame if any fault occurs and in that freeze frame it will immediately become apparent the oxygen sensors weren't really there anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Here's another option that just showed up on the ST forum -- a G2 Street Tamer throttle tube. No idea if or how it would work on the CTX, but there's one specifically for the ST1300, so it could work.

G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube - G2 Ergonomics

The same poster there is also raving about BMW sport grips over the same throttle tube, which he seems to like much better than the stock Honda grips. Could be another alternative.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Here's another option that just showed up on the ST forum -- a G2 Street Tamer throttle tube. No idea if or how it would work on the CTX, but there's one specifically for the ST1300, so it could work.

The same poster there is also raving about BMW sport grips over the same throttle tube, which he seems to like much better than the stock Honda grips. Could be another alternative.

Him this might be a good solution. After only 700 miles, the jerky throttle is my only complaint.

I emailed the company regarding fitment to our bike.

Eric

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Him this might be a good solution. After only 700 miles, the jerky throttle is my only complaint.

I emailed the company regarding fitment to our bike.

Eric
Did you get a CB yet? I don't say don't do the mod, but the CB does help a LOT with throttle control. I don't feel the need for any throttle mod but others seem to want it anyway.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Did you get a CB yet? I don't say don't do the mod, but the CB does help a LOT with throttle control. I don't feel the need for any throttle mod but others seem to want it anyway.

Yes, in fact got one today while at dealer for first service. It wasn't a CB but another brand that uses Velcro to tighten on the grip. Hitting bumps still jerked my throttle when using it. Ive started just letting off the throttle when I see an impending bump. I can't imagine prolonged throttle jerk can't be good for the transmission.

Eric

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Response from the G2Ergo company said

"The CTX1300 has a shorter tube (per microfiche), so if you chose any CBR model like below pic at this link you will get the correct part"

See attached

Attachments

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I've just ordered the Street Tamer Throttle tube from G2 Ergo and will provide a review after receipt, installation and performance. I will be also adding the Domino XM2 grip to the tube
Domino XM2 Motorcycle Grip

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jerkey throttle

Some people just don't get the point and do things out of mere habit or because there's a legend going around claiming that if you do X you get Y.

But then again, it's not my bike, not my money/licence and not my emission laws ;-)

Oh and about the "no way they can tell" part, this is not the '80s anymore. The ECU will record a freeze frame if any fault occurs and in that freeze frame it will immediately become apparent the oxygen sensors weren't really there anymore.
You are right on the emissions I put a little more but for the ECU the resistor play that part telling to the ECU to run in the open loop.I have A 2012 Suzuki VZ 1500 with 7k miles with the same mod and no problem, also the bike pass the emission test. There is a lot info about the topic in internet and you are right this is 2014 why at this time you have to deal with a no perfect throttle manage. I am not saying the bike is bad, now its better.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Well, my G2 throttle tamer tube arrived late today. G2 also threw in a free pair of Domino sport touring grips if I wrote up up a review after installation. I'll try to get the new throttle tube installed tomorrow and give some feedback. First impression is, the tube is very high quality, and the Italian made grips look great.

More tomorrow.

Eric

Reactions: sleepngbear

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Got my center stand, 12v accessory plug, and a battery tender plug installed, along with the throttle tamer tube and new grips. After about 100 miles today, I can say the G2 Street Throttle Tamer was a very good investment. It dramatically improved throttle roll-on from a stop, and moderately improves throttle surge at speed when hitting bumps. The Domino Sport Touring Grips look great and feel a bit better than stock.

Big Blue got quite a few upgrades today! ImageUploadedByMO Free1410030756.348700.jpg

For more info in the throttle tamer, see it here:
http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-tamer-throttle-tube/

ImageUploadedByMO Free1410030646.846716.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1410030684.131220.jpg

Eric

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Thanks for the reviews. :smiley-happy0034:

Those grips look nice. How were they to install? I had to cut off the original grips, and I think I'd have had much difficulty installing them new if I had to. The Kury grips I installed were also very tight on the throttle side and loose on the clutch side.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
The inner diameter of the pair of grips is different. It sounds like you put the throttle grip on the left clutch side and vice versa. The grips didn't require glue, so compressed air can be used to "inflate" them slightly as they slide on ( or to remove )

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
The inner diameter of the pair of grips is different. It sounds like you put the throttle grip on the left clutch side and vice versa. The grips didn't require glue, so compressed air can be used to "inflate" them slightly as they slide on ( or to remove )
I've done lots of Honda grips -- there's no way the sides were switched. They did go on; the throttle side probably didn't need glue, either -- it was that tight, but it was definitely the bigger diameter of the two. The clutch side needed a couple of wraps of tape for the grip to be tight enough for the glue to set up (though much less than the thickness of the throttle tube). Another guy here had a similar experience with the same Kury's.

Anyway, I have no intention of swapping them out -- I'm too hooked on the throttle boss, and much prefer it to something like a Cramp Buster that has to wrap around the throttle grip. I was only asking for the benefit of others who might be looking for another option (and maybe just a little out of curiosity). ;)

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Got my center stand, 12v accessory plug, and a battery tender plug installed, along with the throttle tamer tube and new grips. After about 100 miles today, I can say the G2 Street Throttle Tamer was a very good investment. It dramatically improved throttle roll-on from a stop, and moderately improves throttle surge at speed when hitting bumps. The Domino Sport Touring Grips look great and feel a bit better than stock.

Big Blue got quite a few upgrades today! View attachment 2170

For more info in the throttle tamer, see it here:

View attachment 2154 View attachment 2162

Eric
So, only a "moderate" improvement in throttle surge at bumps. That's disappointing considering it's my only complaint about the bike. I was hoping for a positive review of the G2. Can you elaborate since you must have a few more miles on Big Blue since your post? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Ultimately I think the improvement to throttle surge at speed will be as a result of an improvement to the suspension of the bike rather than the throttle itself. After about 400 additional miles on my bike, the G2 still performs extremely well from a stop with very smooth throttle response. All in all I'm very pleased with the mod considering it was only $79 to do.

Eric

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Thanks - It sounds like it's worth a shot. I'm going to bite the bullet and order it! Also, I want to complement jmmont on this subject. His diy solution sounds very similar in basic concept to the E2. You should have patented it jmmont!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ordered the G2 and new grips yesterday. Will also post my review when I get them installed. Looking forward to a little more finesse in the throttle.

Reactions: V0X
1 - 20 of 77 Posts