CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody - I thought I would start a new thread on this since there have been no posts to the original thread in over a month. I have had my G2 Throttle Tamer in hand for several weeks but, I have been hesitant to tackle the install and I need some advice.

The reason I am hesitant is that, several years back, I installed Kuryakyn ISO grips on a Honda 1100 Sabre. This job, like the G2, involved changing the throttle tube. It took me about six hours of frustration to finally get the cable ferrules captured properly in the recesses of the new throttle tube. I simply did not have enough play in one of the cables - I forget which one (push or pull) but, it was the cable that was not adjustable. Or, maybe I was misaligning the tube somehow. Who knows?

In any case, it appears that the CTX has only one cable that is adjustable and I wonder if I am getting myself into a similar problem. I have the added complication that I will need to remove my (now perfectly adjusted) Brakeaway Cruise Control in order to install the G2. BTW, the Brakeaway is worth every penny and more.

I would greatly appreciate any tips/advice on how to make this project go easier. Also, is the removal and reinstall of the bar end weights a straight forward matter?

Thanks much,
Tom

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
By loosening the one cable, you're automatically loosening both of them. I haven't done a tube swap on this bike, but I did one on another that also had the adjustment on one cable only. Just be sure to loosen it up as far as it will go. I used a pair of needle-nose pliers to unhook the first cable end from the tube; then it was easy to roll the tube enough to just slip the second cable off. Same thing to replace the tube, only in reverse -- slipped the first cable on (bottom cable first, I believe), then used the pliers to tug the second cable end into place. Screw the clamshell case back together, then tighten the cable adjustment so that there's still about 1/8" play in it.

I know at least one other member here as done it on the CTX to install heated grips (can't remember who at the moment) -- I don't recall them having any issues with the swap. Hopefully they'll jump in and provide any additional details that might be helpful.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By loosening the one cable, you're automatically loosening both of them. I haven't done a tube swap on this bike, but I did one on another that also had the adjustment on one cable only. Just be sure to loosen it up as far as it will go. I used a pair of needle-nose pliers to unhook the first cable end from the tube; then it was easy to roll the tube enough to just slip the second cable off. Same thing to replace the tube, only in reverse -- slipped the first cable on (bottom cable first, I believe), then used the pliers to tug the second cable end into place. Screw the clamshell case back together, then tighten the cable adjustment so that there's still about 1/8" play in it.

I know at least one other member here as done it on the CTX to install heated grips (can't remember who at the moment) -- I don't recall them having any issues with the swap. Hopefully they'll jump in and provide any additional details that might be helpful.
Thanks sleepingbear. I probably did not have the cable loosened all the way last time. I didn't know that one applied to both. That info gives me a lot to go on - I knew I had to be missing something simple. I did finally get the grips back on to the Sabre properly but, it was a real PITA and I learned to refer to those ferrules as the "f---ing ferrules". Thanks again.

Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts