CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Snow expected here... again... tonight and tomorrow so thinking I won't get to ride to work Monday at least. Temps will be lows from -2*F to highs from +13*F to mid 20s this next week. 15*F now at home. Figured I'd better get out while in between snows and the streets are dry. Took off to go to one my favorite lunch stops about 2 miles south of my home, but took the long way of course. About 70 miles worth of long way there even though the place is only 2 miles from my home. Naturally I started off turning left instead of right. Went through Waukee, then Woodward, then Madrid, then Polk City, then around south of Saylorville Lake to Grimes, then past my home to Chick-fil-A in West Des Moines. Kept to county roads as much as possible. Saw mpg reading all over, but mostly averaging around 38 mpg at 55 mph. About 10 lower going up a few hills and much higher to almost 90 mpg going down. Wicked north wind so the east-west legs were at a lean. The last 8 miles was 35 mph +/- in city streets with a little traffic but was able to maintain that speed at least. During that part saw an average around 63 mpg in 5th gear at 35 mph! Pretty good considering the temp. MPG always goes down in colder temps. At least half the trip, the middle half, was less than 14*F. Can't say for sure what it was since there were no bank signs and the dash display showed "---" and I didn't bring my portable temp gauge along. Travelled mostly north going out so it did get a bit cooler, then mostly south on the return so it warmed back up to 15*F. Sun was shining all the way so was a nice ride.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Sounds like a nice ride @bob.
It was in the upper 50s here today, but only rode 3 miles out. Hang in there, it'll be warm before you know it and the fair weather riders will be out like insects.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bob,

You would never make it as a Harley rider :), they mostly won't ride until it is 60+ degrees out. However...as I will admit, I just can't get into cold weather riding like you do.

Being in Sioux Falls South Dakota, you have slightly warmer temps, but I sort of do the cut-off around 45-50 degrees F. I did buy heated pants last fall, and for Christmas I purchased myself some heated socks, so at 45 degrees I am very comfortable. I plan on taking a nice long ride on the CTX once we get close to 50 degrees again, but so far, I can't see it in the February forecast.

Approximately 15 years ago, I remember taking my old BMW K75Rt for a winter ride once, about 90 miles down to Yankton SD. The roads were dry, but snow was piled up everywhere with the temperatures in the low 30's. I had my heated vest on, and heated grips while being bundled up and as I recall it was a very enjoyable ride. I distinctly remember people looking at me like I was nuts, as it must have been in January and people just aren't used to seeing motorcycles out on the road at this time.

I have heard there is a ST1300 owner about 100 miles north of my location, that will go out riding in -20 degree F. temperatures....please bring summer soon!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Gonna be months before my ride sees the outside of the garage. We've had so much snow, there's about 2" of hard pack on the driveway that the snowblower can't scrape up that all the new snowfall is piling up on (and it's 110' long, so I'm not about to try to shovel it all up). We're in the middle of yet another one right now, expecting another 6-10", with even more of the s#!+ coming on Wednesday. And unlike winters past, after every snowfall this year the temps have plummeted, so the crap hasn't even started melting yet. This has been one of the more miserable winters in recent memory, and it seems like it won't be happy until it's the most miserable one.

I am, however, putting plenty of miles on my snowblower.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bob,

You would never make it as a Harley rider :), they mostly won't ride until it is 60+ degrees out. However...as I will admit, I just can't get into cold weather riding like you do.

Being in Sioux Falls South Dakota, you have slightly warmer temps, but I sort of do the cut-off around 45-50 degrees F. I did buy heated pants last fall, and for Christmas I purchased myself some heated socks, so at 45 degrees I am very comfortable. I plan on taking a nice long ride on the CTX once we get close to 50 degrees again, but so far, I can't see it in the February forecast.

Approximately 15 years ago, I remember taking my old BMW K75Rt for a winter ride once, about 90 miles down to Yankton SD. The roads were dry, but snow was piled up everywhere with the temperatures in the low 30's. I had my heated vest on, and heated grips while being bundled up and as I recall it was a very enjoyable ride. I distinctly remember people looking at me like I was nuts, as it must have been in January and people just aren't used to seeing motorcycles out on the road at this time.

I have heard there is a ST1300 owner about 100 miles north of my location, that will go out riding in -20 degree F. temperatures....please bring summer soon!!!
You are right. I would no longer make it as a Harley rider. But I was a Harley rider once. My first bike was a HD but I did still ride in cooler temps, just not as cold as I do now. And I used to park my GW for 3 months of the year... the first two years I owned it. I do know some other GW riders who won't ride when the temps are below 50*F. Over on the Rounders' Website web site you can find those who ride in deep snow as well as cold temps. And most of those ride BMW.

My gear is good enough that I don't need any electric heat except the gloves. And I don't turn those on until mid 30s or lower. My hands end up sweating with the controller turned up all the way even below zero*F. Don't care the temps, as long as I am comfortable. The secret that everyone knows is layers. One of my co-workers used to ride in temps just as low as I do but now won't ride quite so cold. He says his BMW can't handle it cuz the cold makes the plastic tabs break. Right. Funny I've never had that issue due to cold :rolleyes:

That rider north of you lives in Watertown, SD and was the winner of the ST-Owners Coldest ride game on that forum. I've gone to moto camping events with him. There will be one in Wisconsin in June and another in MN in Aug and he'll be at both most likely. Dan won the game last year on a ride at -25*F. I won two years in a row and then Dan won the next two years. The moderator on that forum cancelled the game this year due to 2 riders whining about someone in the game not riding far enough. I mean, really! It's a game. But oh well. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

I just ride when I can even if it's not as far as some of you.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, today I had to go to the grocery store to pick up something for my wife. She went out with a friend for the afternoon and left that to me. I needed gas in the bike anyway so went to fill the tank. The gas station I always go to is 1.4 miles south of my home. The grocery store is 1.5 miles north of my home. After filling the tank something came over me and, once again, instead of turning right I turned left. The country side is really nice when it's clear out, even though the temps hovered around 29-30*F the whole way around. I was a little concerned about frozen runoff crossing the roads but didn't really find any. There were one or two spots where melted run off did cover most of my lane but those places were easy to avoid and manoeuvre around even at highway speed. Nothing in the many curves along the route. 55+ miles later I arrived at the store and carried out my mission before returning home. I did have one mishap. Just before arriving at the store I saw something "pop" in my peripheral vision (just out of my focus straight ahead. It was something between me and the dash on the left side. Then I noticed my GPS cradle, which I have always left on the handlebar RAM mount, had cracked and the latch popped open. I've had that mount since 2010 and it's been in -15*F temps a few times and below zero temps many times with no issue. It's the official Garmin Nuvi MC cradle and can only be bought in the kit that includes the Garmin power adapter. I don't need to spend $44 to buy the whole kit again. I may attempt a repair with JB Weld, or I may buy the RAM cradle with RAM ball for $16+. The big difference is that the Garmin cradle has a latch with a positive lock to hold the GPS and is very sturdy, the RAM cradle is all one piece so the GPS simply snaps in place. I have the cradle sitting on my desk now warming up so I can try to fix it.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Glad you got to go for a winter ride. No chance of me going on a m/c ride any time soon. Had about 1/2" of sleet/freezing rain today along with snow. It could be worse though... I could be living on upper east coast, so I won't complain too much. I am chomping at the bit though! ?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Funny... My wife sent me a message at work the other day and said she knew what wrong with me... and that I had PMS ( Parked Motorcycle Syndrome )

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many of us suffering from PMS...

Parked Motorcycle Syndrome
I try to control my symptoms by ignoring the temps and riding anyway as long as I can keep the bike shiny side up. We've been very lucky this winter with few snow days. The weather prognosticators talk one time about pending drought and another time talk about a flood forecast. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, since it's STILL officially winter, and even though the temps are above freezing there is still white junk on many grassy areas, went for a ride.
Rode about 107 miles going north west and back a different way. Had to test my new GPS mount (the old one spontaneously shattered on its own during a ride a few weeks ago and turned out to be unrepairable). About 50*F all the way today until near the end it went up to 52*F. Blue sky with not a cloud in sight the whole way around. As most roads around central Iowa are relatively straight the first part of the ride was just going along enjoying being out on the bike with no particular place to go. The second half had a lot of sweeps and some twisty parts due to following rivers and streams. Sometimes you have to take a boring road to get to an interesting one. Was watching the instant mpg meter along the way and during level constant speeds of 55 mph was seeing around 55 mpg. At 65 mph I was seeing lower of course, around 43 mpg. I don't think the fuel suppliers have switched to their summer blend yet but that should happen very soon now. Around the northern Midwest there is a winter blend of fuel during colder months (Nov-Mar) and then the "normal" summer blend brought back in for the other months of the year. The different blend is to enhance complete burning, lowering emissions, but at a cost to mpg IMHO. I had just filled up the tank at the start of the ride and the average mpg showed just over 47mpg at the end. Saw a number of other riders out and about this time too. Expected that with the first really good day to ride in a few months.

Overall a very enjoyable little ride.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bob,

It was a nicer day here also, so I put about 50 miles on...had a lot of wind from the Northwest, so made it not as comfortable....47 degrees. Looks like the next 7 days look great, so I probably will be close to my break in oil change next weekend.

There has been some discussion about the bike, and the rebates...but let me just say this about that - the bike gets attention! I pull up into the driveway, and the two neighbors come right over, one was driving by and stopped to get out to take a look. They just can't figure it out, but with the way the engine sits in the V4 configuration, it looks very unique and aggressive.

Speaking of the V4, I can't get enough of the character from this engine. Smooth power, and a growl to it that is very satisfying. Even though I didn't get much of the rebate money, I still think for the price there aren't many bikes out there that can offer as much as this bike does!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
It looks like many of us had the same day, but in different areas of the country! Glad to see signs of impending Spring. I can't wait 'til riding every day is the rule and not the exception! I am going to put some more miles on tomorrow, too... and think about riding to work this week. The only thing about that is I will have a passenger. My daughter is a student at the middle school where I teach, and she's itching to get on two wheels too. Happy trails, everyone!

·
Registered
81 Posts
My hands are still my biggest problem. I dont have heated, yet, but i am really good at the whole layering thang. I have ridden down to about 20 degrees but cant tolerate it well. Does anyone know if the connections for the heated gloves is a pain to do, electronics is not my best capability. At least on a motorcycle. I was also contemplating making a windbreak out of hardened leather. Dunno, it will get too cold here to ride for my wimpy self at some point

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Randall Fralin, if you don't have the OEM 12v socket option installed then there is a plug for that option under the seat in the center. It's the cable and connector that's all taped up. The dummy shell part of the plug is a real plug, just without the pins to protect the live part of the connector. If you do have the socket option installed that's good too. I would just use that cable or socket if that's all you want to connect and to keep it simple. That connection is only on when the bike is on. You can also just add a pigtail directly to the battery (most heated gear have a direct connect harness for this) but that would be live all the time. I added a few more electrical farkles so went a bit fancier with an aux fuse block and other connectors coming off the battery.

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just purchased a pair of Hotwired Heated gloves at Cycle Gear while down in Tucson. Going to try to wire the bike tonight and ride tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Just put my gloves in the freezer to cool them down for the ride home from work ... ( joking) ......... Its 45 degrees Celsius up home today ....
Not very nice! 28F and snow here for the next 4 days+. Enjoy your hot weather for all of us on the other side of the equator.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Just purchased a pair of Hotwired Heated gloves at Cycle Gear while down in Tucson. Going to try to wire the bike tonight and ride tomorrow.
I've got the Hotwired jacket and glove liners and love them both. Need to get studded tires on the CTX now to so I can go enjoy their heat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts