CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I will be pulling the trigger on a new 1300 deluxe this week. Are there any advantages to the short windshield versus the tall one?

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Sure. Many posts on this forum about windshields. Like this onehttp://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/h...m/8202-cee-baileys-extra-tall-windscreen.html Try typing in "windshield" in the search box in the upper right of this screen.

In sum, the short windshield provides minimal wind protection, but an unrestricted view. Tall one gives good protection from wind, but depends on your height. You can find options to the Honda windshield at Cee Bailey site.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@Omega Man,
Tall Honda windshield will give you better comfort zone if you are wearing open face or 1/2 helmet. The vents in the tall shield help reduce the buffeting effect usually found on cruisers. The Honda tall shield is easier to mount.
The Madstad shield seems to provide even better protection and better air flow.
I have the Honda shield because I didn't know about the others until after I got it.
If you plan to listen to tunes while touring, get the tall shield if you will listen on the speakers. If you use bluetooth in your helmet, then it won't make that much difference.
One question I have is how these shields influence the passengers comfort. My bride hasn't tested it yet, so I can't give a report. She is waiting until it is not just warmer, but HOTTER.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I love the look of the short shield, but my wife and I experienced a lot of helmet buffeting when we rode two-up. There was no problem at all if I was solo, but when she got on the back, it messed with the aerodynamics and after a couple of hours I could feel the strain on my neck. I mentioned it in another post, but it's worth repeating: Swapping out windshields is very quick and easy. I really do intend to switch to the shorter shield in July for the increased airflow, then back again probably in September. As far as *advantages* go... I think more wind in hot weather just about sums it up. Having said that: this isn't a Goldwing, so you will probably get enough air even with the taller Honda shield.

Reactions: bob

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I love the look of the short shield, but my wife and I experienced a lot of helmet buffeting when we rode two-up. There was no problem at all if I was solo, but when she got on the back, it messed with the aerodynamics and after a couple of hours I could feel the strain on my neck. I mentioned it in another post, but it's worth repeating: Swapping out windshields is very quick and easy. I really do intend to switch to the shorter shield in July for the increased airflow, then back again probably in September. As far as *advantages* go... I think more wind in hot weather just about sums it up. Having said that: this isn't a Goldwing, so you will probably get enough air even with the taller Honda shield.
I found the exact same thing with the shorty shield. No issues at all with the tall one. Another thing I noticed was that, while the wind flow was smooth over the shorty (going solo, anyway), it was still very loud -- louder than any other bike I remember, even those with no shield. So much that I did a ton of research on the quietest helmets (that didn't cost a mortgage payment) and still dumped a bundle on a new one to try to quiet it down. It helped, but it was still too loud, and that's what convinced me to get the tall shield. Even with the tall shield, I still get enough air on me on hot days. You may find you won't need to swap them out seasonally.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Another thing I noticed was that, while the wind flow was smooth over the shorty (going solo, anyway), it was still very loud -- louder than any other bike I remember, even those with no shield.
I'm glad to know it's not just me! I thought I was crazy when I noticed that my old Magna had less wind noise. Now that I think about it, maybe the shorty shield tends to funnel more air right into the bottom of my helmet. And I agree with your sentiment on the shorty shield: I would probably be just fine without swapping at all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
And I will be pulling the trigger on a new 1300 deluxe this week. Are there any advantages to the short windshield versus the tall one?
It's easy to beg forgiveness than ask permission..... :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts