CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a trip I took from San Francisco to Vancouver Canada and I have developed a greater appreciation what a well engineered machine this. I had a couple days where I rode 500 miles and was in the saddle for 10 hours and could have gone even further. This bike is so much more comfortable than any of my previous bikes where after 300 miles I was exhausted.

I had some heavy rain and really appreciated the tall windshield. I had perforated summer gear on and didn't even get that wet other than my shoes.

Great bike.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
David:

That sounds like an AMAZING trip! Vancouver is my favorite place in the world, and San Francisco is high on my list as well. I can only imagine the incredible scenery along the way.

And I am happy to hear that you were so comfortable on the trip. One big reason I traded in my Shadow Sabre for the CTX is because the ride was so uncomfortable for more than 30 minutes or so, even with a Mustang seat upgrade. I have not yet had the opportunity to ride more than about 150 miles in a day, but the CTX is certainly FAR more comfortable. Like you said, I feel I can go much longer distances without a break.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
David do you have the Honda tall ws with the 2 holes in it? If so how did it do in heavy rain?
Yes, that is the one I have. I thought it did great. My chest stayed pretty dry and my vision wasn't too obscured by the rain (full-faced helmet).

This doesn't have anything to do with the windscreen, but it seemed like water was being funneled straight into my shoes, though

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
This doesn't have anything to do with the windscreen, but it seemed like water was being funneled straight into my shoes, though
My ST was notorious for this. Everything was pretty well protected except for my feet. Except in this one gullywasher -- nothing was dry. I mean I was even wringing out my underwear, that's how soaked I got.

But I digest -- every bike I've ever owned offers nothing for foot protection from the elements.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I also just got back from a trip, over 2200 miles. Most days over 300 with a max of 400. Very easy and felt like I could just keep going and going for many more weeks. I also got rained on hard but it happened suddenly while stuck in slow traffic in a small town so I got wet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
David:

That sounds like an AMAZING trip! Vancouver is my favorite place in the world, and San Francisco is high on my list as well. I can only imagine the incredible scenery along the way.
Yes, it was a lot of fun-- and relaxing-- exactly what I needed. Vancouver actually reminded me a lot of San Francisco. I took the scenic route, but also had stops in Portland, Seattle, Bend and Crater Lake.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its nice to read all the good reviews on comfort on longer rides. I'm taking my CTX on its first decent ride this weekend to Baradine (NSW Australia) on the weekend 800km round trip. Some nice fast sections with sweeping bends and a couple of bendy sections over the range. Roll on the weekend, and will post my thoughts after the ride..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Its nice to read all the good reviews on comfort on longer rides. I'm taking my CTX on its first decent ride this weekend to Baradine (NSW Australia) on the weekend 800km round trip. Some nice fast sections with sweeping bends and a couple of bendy sections over the range. Roll on the weekend, and will post my thoughts after the ride..
Sounds good, I hope the weather holds up for you.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Except in this one gullywasher -- nothing was dry. I mean I was even wringing out my underwear, that's how soaked I got.
I know all too well what you mean. This past Saturday I got stuck in a rather sudden downpour while still about what is normally 20 minutes from home. It was raining harder than I had seen in years and the wind was blowing in every direction, it seemed like; it actually took down some trees in my area. I was soaked within a very short time. And of course everyone in front of me slowed down, AND I hit every single stop light! I could barely see to drive and could not find any place to pull under for shelter. When I got home (after being rained on for about 30 minutes) I had to pour the water out of my boots, and I too was wringing out my underwear.

The only good thing about my incident is that I had been thinking about washing the bike, and this did it for me. The wind even got the water into those little crevices that would have been tough to reach.

Ironically I had cancelled a planned bike trip that day because the forecast at the destination didn't look good, nearly 50% chance of rain. It turned out that they only got about 30 minutes of that and were able to pull off for lunch to wait it out.

This is just not my year for weather. Labor Day weekend is coming up and the forecast is for rain all three days... :mad:

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I have found that if you ride a bike in rain you will get your boots wet. Even on my GW my boots would get wet. That's why I always use waterproof boots now. On the GW I was wearing either Alpine Stars mid-height WP boots, with the zipper on both sides, or Tour Master Response WP boots. Like the TM boots at the time since they were low tops but still had a problem with heavy rain getting over the top because of that. Since 2010 I've been wearing Tour Master Solution boots and have been very pleased with them. Dry feet in any weather. My Frogg Toggs keep the rest of me dry. I do get a little wicking at the bottom pant cuffs and at the sleeve cuffs resulting in my wrist getting a bit damp and the very bottom of my riding pants getting a bit damp. Since my street clothes are tucked into my boots they stay dry and my sleeves are usually rolled up. I have waterproof gloves too, but none I have tried keep the hands really dry in harder rains. Usually get the hands damp but never cold wet which is a very good thing. And of course I always wear a full face helmet, and with my FT hood being used as a head liner my head and neck stay dry in even the worst gully washers. If it even looks like it might rain I put on the rain gear. I have been caught in some bad rains before, wasn't thinking it would hit until after arriving at destination, and the normal gear just doesn't keep the water out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Your comments about the CTX 1300 being so comfortable on those long rides, is what I am concerned about. I still have my R1200Rt, because it has cruise control and is a comfortable bike, but when I sit on the CTX, it feels oh so good. I just have always wondered if that feels that same after an hour or two on the saddle.

Speaking of being wet, I have owned a few bikes that if you had driven the bike right into the lake, you would have been dryer! I think it was my Kawasaki W650, which is a Triumph Bonneville look-alike. The water would channel right from the front wheel, on your shin and feet. No fairing, no protection, it was the worst bike to ride in the rain.

I have to give my BMW R1200Rt one of the best riding in the rain bikes. I was caught in a moderate rain shower this summer and didn't have any wet weather gear along...it was 85 and nice when I left the house! If you keep the speed above 50 and the windshield up, I found my shoulders would get some mist, everything else stayed relatively dry. This works most of the time, but I did have an encounter with heavy ++ rain for Memorial Day weekend trip, and no matter what you do, you are going to be wet!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts