CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking I can pair my iPhone to CTX and then the CTX to the earbuds, that way I can adjust tracks and volume from the controls on the bike, also ordered the Honda Tall screen, not a screen guy, but it's just ridiculous with the short 1. Will I get enough air on hot days with the tall screen? I wonder if removing the short screen entirely would work on hot days
"SONY DR-BT150NC-B Black"

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
How hot is hot where you are?
I would say in the mid-west the tall screen will provide just enough to do well on "hot" days. In the south, I would say the shorty will work much better. No screen will likely cause more buffeting since what little there is of the shorty it still contributes in a big way to smooth the air flow even while letting a lot of air by. IMHO. YMMV. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put 200 miles on the bike this past Sunday and it was very blustery so maybe the small screen did smooth the air flow out some but it didn't feel smooth, rode my other fairing less bikes later that day for comparison and the wind was quite a bit less noticeable (clean air).
I took the fly screen completely off my Kawasaki Versys and it actually did reduce the buffeting!
I can always ride another bike in the stable on the super hot days :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Will I get enough air on hot days with the tall screen? I wonder if removing the short screen entirely would work on hot days
From my experience in Hawaii with the tall screen? You'll probably want more air flow depending where you are living. Tall screen works well, maybe too well in warmer weather. I used to stick my knees out to get some airflow onto my chest.

Dig around there is another thread where I talk about running the MRA X-creen on top of the stock low screen, that combo works better for me now.

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Maybe we need to get some Baker Wings fitted to the bike. Direct the airflow toward or away from the bike depending on how much air you want at the time. And I don't mean they have to be Baker, that was just a reference because they were the most popular brand when I was going to rallies.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Mark, I've never been a big windshield guy either, but I found the wind noise just a little too much with the shortie shield. While last summer was one of the more moderate ones around here, there were a few hot days in the 90's, and I was still plenty comfortable with the tall shield.

But if you're really concerned about it, Cee Baileys has some alternatives that are shorter than the Honda tall shield that might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
also ordered the Honda Tall screen, not a screen guy, but it's just ridiculous with the short 1. Will I get enough air on hot days with the tall screen? I wonder if removing the short screen entirely would work on hot days
"SONY DR-BT150NC-B Black"
The one factor that seems absent in the "airflow-vs-screen height" comments seems to be consideration of the rider's height.

I'm 6'1", have the Honda Touring Screen and have been somewhat bemused by the large amount of air, both wind and slipstream, that I feel going down the road. Given the plethora of panting people comments, I was expecting much less:)

I had a Reckless Fairing with a shorty screen on my Yamaha Stratoliner, and the complement of the fairing design and screen deflected virtually all slipstream around me. I could ride with my helmet visor up under all but the highest slipstream conditions (high speed/headwind).

The CTX's fairing/screen design do not divert slipstream nearly as effectively. That's not a criticism, simply an observation.

So I would take into account rider height when considering aerodynamics and available "cooling" wind.:wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From my experience in Hawaii with the tall screen? You'll probably want more air flow depending where you are living. Tall screen works well, maybe too well in warmer weather. I used to stick my knees out to get some airflow onto my chest.

Dig around there is another thread where I talk about running the MRA X-creen on top of the stock low screen, that combo works better for me now.

Aloha,
Huladog

Thanks Huladog, I ordered the MRA X-creen!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts