CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Does anyone know how to switch out the air filter on these CTX's? I'm going to order me a K&N air filter for mine. Since the air box isn't visible on this bike I'm assuming the plastic will have to come off again. I think the air box is under the top shelter correct me if I'm wrong. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes, the airbox is the black surface you see after removing the top shelter. There's quite a bit of wiring that has to come off to be able to take the airbox cover off and get at the filter.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Was wondering if anybody had installed a K&N filter yet? I've got one coming for my CTX. If so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Other than "get enough time on your side" and "take pictures, if you feel you can't remember where everything came out from", there's no special magic to it. Just be prepared to remove a lot of stuff (wires and hoses) from the top before you can open the airbox to change the filter.

Reactions: Rockind

·
Registered
133 Posts
Reactions: Willmarth

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I don't really see any cons to having a K&N filter on the CTX other than you have to disassemble half the bike to get to it. I got mine a couple of days ago and so when I get time and while it seems to rain about an inch and a half every day here I prob won't be riding much if any, so it might be a good time to install it along with my power commander V. I've been holding off so I can do the install on both all at once. I've had several K&N air filters on motorcycles and cars and they have all done better job of filtering than the stock ones that I've replaced. They have a better media in them. As far as maintenance goes it won't have to be serviced for quite a while especially since I won't be riding on dirty/dusty roads. Besides I can clean my K&N for a whole lot cheaper than you can replace the stock air filter element.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I don't really see any cons to having a K&N filter on the CTX other than you have to disassemble half the bike to get to it. I got mine a couple of days ago and so when I get time and while it seems to rain about an inch and a half every day here I prob won't be riding much if any, so it might be a good time to install it along with my power commander V. I've been holding off so I can do the install on both all at once. I've had several K&N air filters on motorcycles and cars and they have all done better job of filtering than the stock ones that I've replaced. They have a better media in them. As far as maintenance goes it won't have to be serviced for quite a while especially since I won't be riding on dirty/dusty roads. Besides I can clean my K&N for a whole lot cheaper than you can replace the stock air filter element.
You will definitely get the most bang for your buck out of both by installing both. I'm on the fence myself about a PC, so I'm very interested to hear how that turns out for you. :smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just tried to install the K&N 1302 but it isn’t the same as the Honda one , which has 2 screws holding it to the upper air box cover.
It’s listed as a replacement, maybe a mistake ?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Just tried to install the K&N 1302 but it isn’t the same as the Honda one , which has 2 screws holding it to the upper air box cover.
It’s listed as a replacement, maybe a mistake ?
If it is listed at a ST1300 replacement or compatible with that bike it WILL fit the CTX1300 which has the same air box, except for ONE difference. Those 2 screws that hold it in the lid. Simple solution is to use the old filter as a guide and drill the holes for the screws in the new filter. I hear ST1300 air filters cost less anyway. If it has a thicker top as some air filters have for the ST, then take one of the screws to the hardware store and get longer screws in stainless. Again, compare the old filter with the new filter to see how much longer. Don't get too much longer or you risk pulling the threaded inserts out of the lid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is a different height so even if you drilled the holes it won’t seal to the lower air box plus it will deform when you tighten the attaching screws

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Where the screws would go on the K&N are inset so the filter will deform when tightened .The filter is a lot smaller overall , which will restrict airflow anyway
I see that.
What I stated previously was what some members have done with using a Honda OEM ST1300 air filter, which should be the same size and same fit as on the CTX as compared by those members.

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
I too once was a K&N filter booster, but after doing do diligence and reading tests I’ve gone back to OEM filters. Yes they (K&N filters) allow more air flow and much more dirt per said tests. Dirt causes wear and that’s what a filter is for, to protect the engine. I never really saw any increase in performance or fuel mileage increase. I think in today’s climate manufactures try to get the max out of their engines while also protecting them from wear. They do have to pay the warranty bills. Just my thoughts. Your experiences may be different and I don’t want to start a filter or oil war.....hehehehe I’m more concerned with longevity than all out performance.

Reactions: Virgil2014
1 - 18 of 18 Posts