CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Can't wait to see the pics. We're you by any chance able to salvage the old grips? I've destroyed every set I've ever removed. :D

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. Not really. To my suprize the the throttle grip wasn't glued to the throttle sleeve, so I just rolled it off the sleeve to remove it. Which don't get me wrong I'm glad that one wasn't glued on. It made it a whole lot easier to remove. :) The clutch side was glued on and so I just used a utility knife and cut that one off. It probably took about 45 minutes to switch out the grips.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No. Not really. To my suprize the the throttle grip wasn't glued to the throttle sleeve, so I just rolled it off the sleeve to remove it. Which don't get me wrong I'm glad that one wasn't glued on. It made it a whole lot easier to remove. :) The clutch side was glued on and so I just used a utility knife and cut that one off. It probably took about 45 minutes to switch out the grips.
I'm considering these grips as well.....do you know if they will work with the heated grip option????

Thanks.....

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately the Kuryakyn ISO grips will not work with heated grips option. You have to choose one way or the other. Me personally I'd much rather have the comfort of the ISO grips than any other. Thats just my personal opinion. I had them on my 2011 Honda Fury that I trded for my CTX and I loved how they felt, so I had to go with those as the replacement of the stock ones, they look really good on the bike too! :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Unfortunately the Kuryakyn ISO grips will not work with heated grips option. You have to choose one way or the other. Me personally I'd much rather have the comfort of the ISO grips than any other. Thats just my personal opinion. I had them on my 2011 Honda Fury that I trded for my CTX and I loved how they felt, so I had to go with those as the replacement of the stock ones, they look really good on the bike too! :)
Looking at the grips more today and yes, changing would mean no heated grips....so I've ordered a pair of "Grip Puppies" from the UK. That will give me a larger diameter grip and their site says that they will work with heated grips. Not as attractive as the ISO grips but I'm not giving up my heated grips.....cool rides here in the Spring and Fall.

Ordered them off of eBay. As a bonus they are a lot cheaper and have great reviews.

Looks at some others locally but they looked like junk....

grip_pupies

Reactions: Richard Fischer

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
ps- I guess I just like the junk factory grips!:eek:

I did have grip puppies on my Burgman and my ST. The GW grips were very much like the grip puppies from the factory. But now my hands are doing just fine with the junk factory grips so I think I'll leave those as they are.

As is often said... everyone is different. Make it your own. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I like the spikes -- nice touch. Just curious -- how was the glue they delivered with yours? I tried punching a hole in mine with the cap, no go. Tried punching a hole with a nail, still no go. Scratched my head and cussed a lot, then whipped out my cordless drill and tore into it with that. The glue had completely hardened in the tubes (yes, both tubes that came with the grips). Did a lot more cussing then headed to the local Benny's and got a tube of Duco cement, knowing I didn't want something that would set up too quickly, especially on the throttle side which was very tight. Now I'm just hoping it sets up on the clutch side.

Anyway, here's a few pics of mine, just installed. Kinda boring after yours, but they've got the grip end weights, and a throttle boss on the throttle side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! :ty: I had the exact setup on my Fury and I liked how they looked, so I thought what the heck... I would just go with the same setup as what I had before. No... I didn't have any issues with my glue that came with the ISO grips, as a matter of fact I didn't use any glue on the throttle side. :eek: It was so snug that I barely got it twisted on there. Now on the clutch side was a different story. I had to do the barber pole thing with the black electrical tape then used the glue. I probably used a half of one of the tubes of glue. BTW... I don't think yours is boring. Yours looks cool too! I almost went with the exact same setup as yours. :smiley-happy0034:

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Hoosierman, those look great, though the spikes are not my style. I think I would go with the black end weights, since I'm not a big fan of chrome on this bike (except for the awesome exhaust pipes, of course). Do you think I could put on ISO grips like you did and use the end weights?

I assume you bought Kuryakyn part number 6341 for the grips, since those are the black ones for 7/8" bars. Can you confirm that? Their web site says that the item number for the end weights is 6339 (the black ones, anyway). I am seriously thinking of doing this mod. Thanks so much for being the guinea pig on this!!

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Thanks! :ty: I had the exact setup on my Fury and I liked how they looked, so I thought what the heck... I would just go with the same setup as what I had before. No... I didn't have any issues with my glue that came with the ISO grips, as a matter of fact I didn't use any glue on the throttle side. :eek: It was so snug that I barely got it twisted on there. Now on the clutch side was a different story. I had to do the barber pole thing with the black electrical tape then used the glue. I probably used a half of one of the tubes of glue. BTW... I don't think yours is boring. Yours looks cool too! I almost went with the exact same setup as yours. :smiley-happy0034:
I was going to ask you about that, too -- throttle side, very tight; clutch side very loose. I actually needed the glue on the throttle sleeve for lube to get the grip all the way on. Luckily it went on in the right position, because there was no twisting it to reposition it once it was all the way on. Clutch side I just used a ton of Duco. It felt like it was finally setting up after a couple of hours. I'll give it a good yank tonight and make sure it's solid; if not, I'll just pull it off and do that barber pole trick. But no way that throttle grip is coming off in one piece if u ever have to remove it. :eek:

And thanks! ;)

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
:ty: Sure... I'm pretty sure that's the same setup that "Sleepngbear" went with. He has pictures of his posted that I saw, they look really sharp! I myself like a little bit of bling on mine, but to each his own. :D

Well actually I went with the Universal 7/8" part # 6241 and I went with the contoured throttle boss too. I double checked and you are correct on the black end weights # 6339. I think that you will really like how they feel and how they look, it wasn't too hard to switch out. No problem... I just didn't like the stock grips that came on the bike.

Hoosierman, those look great, though the spikes are not my style. I think I would go with the black end weights, since I'm not a big fan of chrome on this bike (except for the awesome exhaust pipes, of course). Do you think I could put on ISO grips like you did and use the end weights?

I assume you bought Kuryakyn part number 6341 for the grips, since those are the black ones for 7/8" bars. Can you confirm that? Their web site says that the item number for the end weights is 6339 (the black ones, anyway). I am seriously thinking of doing this mod. Thanks so much for being the guinea pig on this!!

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
I like the spikes -- nice touch. Just curious -- how was the glue they delivered with yours? I tried punching a hole in mine with the cap, no go. Tried punching a hole with a nail, still no go. Scratched my head and cussed a lot, then whipped out my cordless drill and tore into it with that. The glue had completely hardened in the tubes (yes, both tubes that came with the grips). Did a lot more cussing then headed to the local Benny's and got a tube of Duco cement, knowing I didn't want something that would set up too quickly, especially on the throttle side which was very tight. Now I'm just hoping it sets up on the clutch side.

Anyway, here's a few pics of mine, just installed. Kinda boring after yours, but they've got the grip end weights, and a throttle boss on the throttle side.
Sleepngbear - Your grip setup is what I will be doing this weekend; black ISO grips with end weights and throttle boss. Did you do the work yourself? I see Hoosierman did his install, and from what I read, it was simple job (just gotta fight the glue on the left side).

Any advice from anyone for the grip removal/install on the CTX1300?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
My grips are ordered and I will install next week. I have in the past used an air hose with a small tip. Work the tip under an edge of the grip and shoot high pressure air. This will expand the grip and release the old glue. Should be able to work the grip off then. If you don't want to keep the old grips, then just cut them off. Be careful on the throttle side.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Sleepngbear - Your grip setup is what I will be doing this weekend; black ISO grips with end weights and throttle boss. Did you do the work yourself? I see Hoosierman did his install, and from what I read, it was simple job (just gotta fight the glue on the left side).

Any advice from anyone for the grip removal/install on the CTX1300?

Thanks! :)
Yes, I did these myself. The stock grips were not able to come off in one piece -- I had to slice them with a razor knife. No biggie, because they would have been impossible to get back on anyway.

The Kury grip on the throttle side was very tight, but the clutch side was so loose that I had to wrap electrical tape overlapped around the bar to get enough friction for the grip to stay put. Check yours -- you'll want it to be pretty snug before applying any glue.

Some quick advice if you've never done this before:

- Go to your nearest bike shop or dealer (doesn't matter what brand) and get a tube of grip cement. It will probably be easier to work with than what Kury provides, as their stuff is like super glue and sets up very quickly. In my case, both tubes that came with the grips were already set up solid in the tubes and completely unusable, causing much cursing.

- Replacing the end caps with weights and throttle boss requires a small standard Allen wrench (I think it's 3/32"), so be sure to have a set handy.

- Dry-fit the grips first before gluing them. Position them where they're most comfortable for you, and then mark that position with pieces of tape on the grip and control housings on each side. This will help you to position them quickly when you install them for the final time with glue. The throttle side may not want to go on all the way, and that's OK while test-fitting it -- push it on as far as it will go so that you can still slide it off without too much effort. It's the rotational position you want to set before final installation.

- Apply glue to one grip at a time, and be ready to move quickly to install it because the glue sets up pretty fast. Again, be sure the clutch side is snug enough that it does not move freely with no glue. If it's too loose, wrap tape around the bar until it needs a little effort to push the grip on.

- Plan to let the bike sit for at least an hour for the glue to cure (unless you're using another type of grip cement, and then follow it's specific instructions about drying and curing time).

- I installed the throttle boss and weights after the grips were on, as I found it easier to work with the grips without them.

- It may take you a few tries to get the throttle boss positioned just right. When you first install it with the weights, keep the Allen screws loose enough to be able to slide the throttle boss up or down to get it in the right position. Once you've found the comfortable spot, tighten the screws and take it for a ride. Be sure that your palm rests on it during normal riding, but also be sure that it is not so high that it could interfere with your other hand movements. It may take a few tries to get it just right; but when you do, you're gonna love it.

Enjoy the ride, because these grips are comfortable as all get-out. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
OK, here's the good: these grips are phenomenal. They feel absolutely wonderful, and if you have any qualms whatsoever about the stock grips, I highly recommend these.

And the bad: Duco cement makes a horrible grip glue. You really don't realize how much torque you're putting on that left grip until you go to squeeze the clutch and it moves. If you can't use the crap that Kury sends with the grips (which I couldn't because it was already solid as a rock in the tube), make sure you have some other actual grip cement handy and don't try messing with anything else.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe your local m/c shop has some grip glue that you can buy??? :350x700px-LL-66dd6d or give Kuryakyn a call and I'm sure they would send you some glue.

OK, here's the good: these grips are phenomenal. They feel absolutely wonderful, and if you have any qualms whatsoever about the stock grips, I highly recommend these.

And the bad: Duco cement makes a horrible grip glue. You really don't realize how much torque you're putting on that left grip until you go to squeeze the clutch and it moves. If you can't use the crap that Kury sends with the grips (which I couldn't because it was already solid as a rock in the tube), make sure you have some other actual grip cement handy and don't try messing with anything else.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts