CTX 1300 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Seeking a little clarification here on installing the ISO grips before ordering. I have ISOs on my current ride and my prior one...wouldn't be without 'em.

Do I

• remove and reinstall the current bar weights or
  • slip these ISOs over the weights after removing the current grips or
  • order new weights?
I kinda guess the second, since Mr. Hoosier installed those spikes on the end. Just wanna be sure tho....

Discussion starter · #22 · (Edited)
Hey bruceb, Yeah... you will have to loose the stock bar weights when you install the ISO grips. You can add the Kuryakyn bar weights to the ISO grips though. They have them in chrome and black chrome. Hope this helps! :D

Seeking a little clarification here on installing the ISO grips before ordering. I have ISOs on my current ride and my prior one...wouldn't be without 'em.

Do I

• remove and reinstall the current bar weights or
  • slip these ISOs over the weights after removing the current grips or
  • order new weights?
I kinda guess the second, since Mr. Hoosier installed those spikes on the end. Just wanna be sure tho....

Hey bruceb, Yeah... you will have to loose the bar weights when you install the ISO grips. You can add the Kuryakyn bar weights to these grips. They have them in chrome and black chrome. Hope this helps! :D
How does one know which weights to purchase? I thought that the manufacturer specified certain weight to counteract certain harmonic vibration. Yet I only see one type and two colors on Kury site.

Did you notice any diff in vibs when you replaced the OEM with Kury weights? Kury does not list the CTX1300 as a model on their site. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

I was originally planning to install the Kury black grips, because they look and feel great. But given the weather this year and my problem with keeping my hands warm, I instead opted to have my dealer install the Honda heated grips while the bike is there for the winter. I like the fact that they integrate so well into the bike, including being able to see the heat level setting on the LCD display. Not cheap and still not the feel I'd like, but I think it will extend the riding season for me, and that's a big plus in my book.

I was originally planning to install the Kury black grips, because they look and feel great. But given the weather this year and my problem with keeping my hands warm, I instead opted to have my dealer install the Honda heated grips while the bike is there for the winter. I like the fact that they integrate so well into the bike, including being able to see the heat level setting on the LCD display. Not cheap and still not the feel I'd like, but I think it will extend the riding season for me, and that's a big plus in my book.
Yup, I'm witcha on adding warmth to ride more. I already use a pair of Gerbing gloves and First Gear heated liner, so I can go for the ISO grips.

How does one know which weights to purchase? I thought that the manufacturer specified certain weight to counteract certain harmonic vibration. Yet I only see one type and two colors on Kury site.

Did you notice any diff in vibs when you replaced the OEM with Kury weights? Kury does not list the CTX1300 as a model on their site. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d
It's kind of a crap shoot when you start replacing grips and weights. Kury only makes one size weight, I believe, so if you're going with Kury grips, that's what you're stuck with.

That being said, I can't say that I feel anything different as far as vibrations go; if anything, the ISO's are fatter and they just make the bike feel more substantial. Because the rubber is thicker, I think they dampen vibrations even better than stock. That's about the only non-factory mod I've done on this bike, and combined with the throttle boss, it was easily worth every penny. :)

I installed the Kury ISO grips a few days ago. Left one went on well. Right one went on so tightly over the sleeve that I cannot remove it now to glue it on. After two rides, it has moved out about 1/2", but no further yet.

Even if I get it off, I worry about pushing it back on quickly enough before the glue sets. Maybe I need to find a way to remove it, then sand down the inside a tad so it will slide on easier. But I'm not sure I can pull it off without damaging it.:mad:

I installed the Kury ISO grips a few days ago. Left one went on well. Right one went on so tightly over the sleeve that I cannot remove it now to glue it on. After two rides, it has moved out about 1/2", but no further yet.

Even if I get it off, I worry about pushing it back on quickly enough before the glue sets. Maybe I need to find a way to remove it, then sand down the inside a tad so it will slide on easier. But I'm not sure I can pull it off without damaging it.:mad:
You should be able to get the throttle grip off, but it is definitely tight. If you do decide to remove it and glue it, use a slower drying grip cement, like Honda brand. It will actually help the grip slide back on while it's wet. It just takes a few minutes longer to set up, and then overnight to completely cure.

A local mechanic uses White Rain hair spray to install Kury grips. They slide on easy, then dry and stay in place. No excess glue, no mess, extra hold, and quick dry.

A local mechanic uses White Rain hair spray to install Kury grips. They slide on easy, then dry and stay in place. No excess glue, no mess, extra hold, and quick dry.
In place of, or in addition to, the glue?

Hair spray, leftover clear spray paint, etc.

Yep, the hair spray trick does work as a grip glue. I've used leftover clear spray paint (sort of the same thing, right?) shot into the grip and then slide onto the bars, but this works if the grip fits snug on the bar ends.

Sometimes you don't even need glue if the grip is flexible and barely fits over the bars. I've slid them on using solvent alcohol and by the time the solvent air dried those grips were stuck and not going anywhere.

Don't bother with the super glue stuff they usually include with grips, that stuff doesn't give you enough working time to position your grips.

I've also used silicone sealant or home construction adhesive since both will give you plenty of working time if you have a difficult time getting the grip into position. They also are slippery enough to help get the grip onto a messed up bar surface (with leftover old grip glue) but they will probably ooze out so don't use too much.

Sure they take longer to set up, but just do your install the night before you plan to ride and you'll be fine.

Aloha,
Huladog

I like the idea of silicone caulk, as I just purchased some fresh last week. The grips are very snug, but move just a bit. I want to install a throttle lock, so need 'm to stay in one place.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

ISO grips very nice. Comfortable, snazzy, easy enough to install. I used the supplied grip cement.

As I said in this thread, they are too thick to install two different adjustable clutch levers I have tried. Small detail tho.

Mine installed nicely - HOWEVER - throttle grip worked great with supplied glue - left, not so much.

I used the supplied glue, white rain hair spray, hockey tape with Gorilla glue....after each removal to try something else, I sanded the handle each time. It's on there now, but it still has play in it.

I'll try something new shortly - outside of that - I put the throttle boss on the ISO grips with Kuryakyn weights - looks great, feels even better!

Mine installed nicely - HOWEVER - throttle grip worked great with supplied glue - left, not so much.

I used the supplied glue, white rain hair spray, hockey tape with Gorilla glue....after each removal to try something else, I sanded the handle each time. It's on there now, but it still has play in it.

I'll try something new shortly - outside of that - I put the throttle boss on the ISO grips with Kuryakyn weights - looks great, feels even better!
I had the same thing -- throttle side was nice an snug, clutch side not so much. I ended up putting a couple of wraps of electrical tape around the bar to get the grip tight enough where it doesn't move. Spread grip cement over the tape and slammed the grip on; been almost a year now and it hasn't moved.

Seems like there's some inconsistency in the thickness of these grips. Try the electrical tape; do one layer first and see if that makes it tight enough. Just keep adding layers until it's on there pretty tight without glue (they really need to be pretty snug to 'help' the grip glue), and then glue it in place.

And just for grins, go to your local dealer and grab a tube of grip cement -- it takes a little longer to set up than the crap that Kury provides, giving you a few more seconds to locate the grip exactly where you want it.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.