CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received the front Swingwing pegs I bought from Hoosierman Wednesday last week. I had ordered and received the 8808 adaptors from Amazon the week before so was anxious to install and try them. :)
The right side installed easily and I set them to the same level as the factory pegs. I sat on the bike to verify the level and it was good. :)
I then installed the left side... or tried to. The adaptor went on the bike fine but the bolt for the peg wouldn't screw into the adapter! :confused: Turned out that the adapter was cross threaded!! :mad: I have a metric tap and die set but not for that size or thread!!! :(
Glad that Amazon has an amazing return policy for most things. I reordered the adaptors Wednesday and returned the bad ones using the return label Amazon provided (free of charge as it should be). The replacements arrived Friday and I put them on that night and everything went fine this time. I figured I'd better replace the cotter pins while I was at it since I had the original pins in and out a few times doing all this so picked up some aluminum pins at True Value on my way home Friday. I didn't get to test ride until today due to rain all day Saturday. Here are a few photos of the pegs installed.

And more of a front view with the pegs extended.

Close up of the peg closed:

And extended:

On the low side of the bike on side stand with peg extended you can see how the clearance is less than it would be with the wing closed. Naturally a turn taken at normal speed on this bike would lean over enough to scrap the wing... and I did just that once on a turn at an intersection during my ride today.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Now for a review of my opinion on the Kuryakyn Swingwing foot pegs.
I needed to go to Lowe's for some painting supplies so turned that 1.5 mile ride into a 10 mile ride on some roads I knew I'd be able to use these to their fullest... at least for a short few miles just to get a feel for them.

I really like them. For the most part they really don't feel any different from the the stock pegs other than there is more width for my foot to set on when closed. I am used to my boot heel snugging up to the back of the pegs while I ride most of the time. But now it doesn't really, unless I have them extended.

I reach and can use the brake pedal and shifter just exactly the same as with the stock pegs with these adjusted level. I was initially concerned about the wing on the left side getting in the way of getting my toe under the shifter for up-shifting when it is extended but that was unfounded as I learned.

As I mentioned earlier I did scrape the extended wing on one side going around a turn at an intersection. I really don't expect to have these extended during normal in town riding but do plan to use the wings extended during long rides on the highway, when things won't normally get that exciting. There are rubber pads on both sides of the wings only and the outer bottom rubber pad was sanded just a little on the outer edge and there was a very small scratch on the bottom outer tip of the wing. The peg folds up like the stock pegs so no biggie. Can't see it unless I am running over you. :)

When I want a different position for my feet it is usually on a warm day and very close to where the normal stock riding position is but just a little out and forward and to get a little breeze up the legs. These do exactly that. The foot position on the wings is just enough forward for me and outside the standard peg. I even found I can set the heel of my boot on the front of the wing and let my foot hang over the front for even a bit more extension of my legs if needed. The little spike on the wing keeps my boot from sliding in and off. With the wings closed there is more peg available to move my feet around on so that will help as well when the wings are closed.

Overall I do really like them and anticipate using them going to or from my moto camping trips this summer.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
good review Bob. my dealer has these in stock, may have to give them a whirl.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing to try before to see if they are right for you. Place your foot just on the top front of your current pegs, and then move them straight out away from the bike until your foot is just outside the stock pegs and your heel is on the side of the pegs. That's real close to where the wings will put your feet. If that is enough for you then get these. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi bob, I'm new to this forum. I did notice you have the swing wing pegs. Can you tell me where I can get a pair of those with any necessary adapters? I love the look and the function but I cannot find adapters for them. Do they need special adapters?

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi bob, I'm new to this forum. I did notice you have the swing wing pegs. Can you tell me where I can get a pair of those with any necessary adapters? I love the look and the function but I cannot find adapters for them. Do they need special adapters?
Moved your post to a thread on this subject. See the first post in this thread for more pics and review of mine.
I bought the pegs from a member here who decided he preferred the Kuryakyn Mini Boards instead, but Amazon has them HERE. You do want this Kuryakyn model (4467) because you will need to buy an adapter to fit the CTX. Yes, a splined adapter is needed. It is the same adapter as for the ST1300, as many parts on this bike are including almost all of the engine and tranny. The Kuryakyn adapter model number is 8808 for the front and Amazon has those HERE. It looks like the same model number for the rear mounts per the Kuryakyn web site.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts