CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a fantastic ride around Lake Michigan, clockwise, starting from Chicago West Suburbs. Avoiding all the toll ways along the lake, I rode up north following Fox River to St. Charles and further North along route IL-47 to Stonebank, WI. Stopped at Alpine Valley Ski Resort. From Stonebank, you want to follow Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive all the way up to Kettle Moraine State Forest (Rt-E). Very engaging hilly road through the forest. From there, I rode to Denmark, WI for the night at campsite.
The 2nd day was visiting Door County (not very interesting with the exception of Potawatomi State Park road at 5 mph. Good place for camping for future. I have not explored the rest of the Door County beyond the Sturgeon Bay. BTW, there is very interesting history of Sturgeon origin. From Potawatomi I rode to Green Bay for a lunch and further up north to Michigan, Escanaba and Gladstone for another camp site night.
Day 3 was the forest road NF-13 to Munising. Very fast and nice road with some curves. If not for the fear of damage to wildlife, it would be very tempting to let the bike go fast… From Munising, after obligatory Pictured Rock sightseeing, I took H-58 road to Grand Marais. Now, this road is a motorcyclist treat! Some 50 miles of high quality asphalt and very nice curves. Apparently one of the top 5 roads in MI. I follow a couple of adventure bikes for few miles, but I had to back off, worrying about scraping my foot pegs too much. After that, it was a quick run to Mackinaw Bridge and famous Tunnel of Trees (M-119) from Cross Village to Harbor Spring. Seriously considered going back to ride this road again but it was late in the day and I had to find a place for the night.
From Petoskey, I followed the lake roads (Rt-31) to Traverse City, made a quick trip to Leelanau State Park going up on the West side and going down on the East side. Sleeping Bear Dunes – all great riding areas for day 4.
Day 5 was return home. Going south from Manistee, I tried to stay as close to the lake as I could, but it was proving difficult due to quality of the roads. Accepting the fate, I went on to ride south the absolutely boring Rt-31 all the way down I-196 to Chicago. With the exception of Blue State Hwy!
Almost 1,400 miles in total. Some absolutely amazing roads and interesting people I met. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That is a fun ride. I did the Lake Michigan tour 2 years ago with couple of my friends. We did it counterclockwise basically from Illinois down South to Indiana and then in to Michigan. Door County in Wisconsin is great for camping, but also you can do a motorcycle ride to visit all the Lighthouse and also you can take a ferry boat on to Washington island. In Michigan North from Traverse City is Hwy 22 also very fun ride, also like yourself I would like to ride The Tunnel of the Trees one more time.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Did a big loop up from MO to Wisconsin then over into the UP of MI. Got in that road to Grand Marais and it was neat. Then down across the Mackinaw bridge with a overnight stop to visit the Island by ferry. Then down and across to Detroit area to visit in-laws before headed home. A really nice ride all over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts