1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see a gentleman of certain class.
I agree with FortNine
Yes to Filtering, always.
Safe to do, if your speed is within 115% of the traffic flow.
Easy to do in Eu.
Feel sorry for the CAN and South Canada.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Lane filtering is the 2nd dumbest thing I've seen done commonly on a moto. Lane splitting takes the #1 spot. It's this kind of bad judgement and nonsense that caused me to start solo riding over 25 years ago.
I'll take my chances with staying in traffic, leaving myself an escape route and watching my own back before I'll put myself between cars that are already trying to kill me.

Reactions: JohnK and Stlburd2

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
Not allowed here in Iowa. Drivers here are aggressively against anyone who tries it. Mostly due to selfishness and lack of education. I've never felt comfortable considering mainly due to living here. Agreed that the right way to do it is at slower traffic speeds and only 15% AT MOST over other traffic. Many states in the USA that do allow it say only when traffic is 25 mph or slower and only at 30 mph or slower to split lanes. Most riders I've seen in videos (which obviously are NOT very many of them by comparison) are stupid and really rip down the road while splitting at high speed. That's what is really dangerous when the general populace is accepting of the practice.

·
Registered
597 Posts
@bob
I am curious when you say "many states that do allow it (lane splitting) say only when traffic is 25 mph or slower..."

"many states" is what confuses me.. because it is my understanding only California currently (as of this post) it is legal to lane split.

come on Arizona!

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I’ve done it on a trip to CA although I wasn’t real comfortable doing it.
Im sure those that live in areas that allow it and practice every day like it.
But really what we are talking about is “risk” and “comfort”. What risks are you comfortable with? Everyone’s level is different. As long as you ride within YOUR comfort level your all good. Don’t see a reason to criticize in either direction.
Ride safe all.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I really wish lane filtering would be legalized in Kentucky. It's frustrating to sit behind two cagers that both pull away from the light as if they have nothing to do all day. If I could filter between them at the red light, I could be out of their way as soon as the light turns green. I think I could save a good ten minutes just getting through Corbin after work if I could filter. And I would not be offering any inconvenience to the cagers.

I don't think it's all that risky to filter between a few cars that are already stopped for the light. It's probably safer than sitting at the back of the line waiting for a car to bump me from behind.

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
@CaliChaos , I guess I was thinking of all the states that were very close to approving the practice but have so far failed in their attempts. I haven't kept up with the end results of those attempts. I also include filtering and shoulder surfing when talking of lane splitting. It's all moving up through or by the lanes of slow moving traffic. So there really are more than just one state to allow any of those actions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lane splitting is illegal in New York. I am against it as there are too many squids that make it dangerous, for riders and cagers.
I agree that lane splitting is dangerous. However, this video was advocating lane filtering, which is a totally different concept. It is done at lower speeds, allowing motorcycles and scooters to arrive at stoplights ahead of cars and trucks, thus allowing for a smoother, more efficient traffic flow. Most of the world allows this, and it works very well. Canada and the U.S. are behind the curve, in my opinion.
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
357 Posts
I split and filter lanes. Have done so all my riding years. I guess that would make me OK with it. I am pretty mellow about splitting and only do it if traffic is less than 30-35mph, I keep it slow and reasonable, and stay hyper vigilant. Safe? I dont know. Is motorcycle safety an oxymoron? Others split at higher speeds. My son had been a rider (Yamaha R6) for less than a year and turned into a high speed splitter, then one day realized, with the help of an officer, that he shouldn't even be on a motorcycle. Sold it - good for him.

I will say this though - the one time CTX mirrors really suck is when I am checking to see if there is another splitter right behind me that I need to let pass!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Maybe I am a bit dense. I don't see the difference between lane splitting and filtering other than speed. If the motorcyclist is traveling between lanes at 10 KPH or 50KPH or 120KPH, it still lane splitting. As I see it, it is only semantics. My opinion does not change even if automobile traffic is at a standstill. IMHO, it is still lane splitting.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I generally consider it filtering when the cars are already stopped or slowing for the stop. In that situation you're pretty safe unless they open a door quickly. Lane Splitting is to make continual progress through the traffic. Lane Filtering is to get up front and be first in line at the stop light. The bike pulls away quickly when the light goes green, leaving the cages behind. You gain time on the rest of the traffic at every red light. But you just ride with the traffic between the intersections.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I generally consider it filtering when the cars are already stopped or slowing for the stop. In that situation you're pretty safe unless they open a door quickly. Lane Splitting is to make continual progress through the traffic. Lane Filtering is to get up front and be first in line at the stop light. The bike pulls away quickly when the light goes green, leaving the cages behind. You gain time on the rest of the traffic at every red light. But you just ride with the traffic between the intersections.
Don't get me wrong... I get the concept. But in real life there is no difference. The only way to "control" the filtering is to have special motorcycle lanes that bring them to the front. Otherwise, in the minds of cagers and riders its just lane splitting. I've seen cagers intentionally position their car so riders can't split. In some cases to intentionally cause harm. This sets up a scenario which has the potential to become confrontational. Just look at what happened in NYC the other day. Unfortunately, this happens every day in metropolitan cities. Its just the nature of the beast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts