CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a question from a member over on the ST forum about this. He was looking at a CTX1300 and wondered about how it compares with the ST1100 or ST1300 for lane splitting or if there is any issue with that? In Iowa lane splitting is not permitted and I haven't been anywhere else on the bike where it is so I have no experience with it. If you have or used to have an ST of any flavor and live where lane splitting is permitted please chime in here. He may be lurking :D

btw- I looked up to be sure and the ST1100 is 36.8 inches wide overall, same for the ST1300.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Here in Texas the bill for lane splitting is up for vote. I talked to a Texas congressman last week and he said they just don't have enough information or support to pass the bill. It's not looking good for Texas

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Other than the width, how would it differ?

The WA state Leg is considering allowing lane splitting.

·
Registered
279 Posts
its hard enough to ride in my own lane with all the morons on the road I cant imagine trying to split between 2 cars or morons and still stay alive
yup almost died yesterday due to one of those morons
not that that has anything to do with the question at hand
sorry

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Not looking for an opinion on the practice of lane splitting, or whether or not it's allowed where you are, just a comparison from those who have done it with a ST vs the CTX. Thanks.

btw- I also don't know that I could trust enough in the BDC to lane split in any state. I understand that in states where it is allowed it is expected by all locals. Here in Iowa I know that if it were allowed tomorrow I would die of old age before the BDC would get used to the idea and not be tempted, or worse, to open a door or turn in on a rider who was passing by.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is legal to lane filter (commonly known as lane splitting) in NSW, Australia, but there are rules and guidelines.

I have no experience with the ST110 or 1300 but do filter with the CTX1300. You really have to pick where it can be done, it's all about common sense.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Not looking for an opinion on the practice of lane splitting, or whether or not it's allowed where you are, just a comparison from those who have done it with a ST vs the CTX. Thanks.

btw- I also don't know that I could trust enough in the BDC to lane split in any state. I understand that in states where it is allowed it is expected by all locals. Here in Iowa I know that if it were allowed tomorrow I would die of old age before the BDC would get used to the idea and not be tempted, or worse, to open a door or turn in on a rider who was passing by.
What is 'BDC'?

·
Registered
229 Posts
And we here in the UK can lane split,BUT only if the traffic is stopped or almost stopped,I used to lane split with the GL1800 no problem most cars/trucks would move over,except the odd one who would try to block your way through.
We can also use dedicated bus lanes in our nearest city (Plymouth) Devon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am not sure how the CTX compares to the ST in lane splitting ( PC term is " lane sharing" or " lane filtering") but I got to do it with mine the other day. It does fairly well. It's how I know the brakes and the horn is pretty awesome on this bike. :wink:

Being a guy from NY living in CA I find lane splitting great. If done responsibly. Just can't do it at 70 when traffic is doing 10.

But despite the CTX being as big and heavy as it is a decent rider can make it dance through traffic pretty easily. I am impressed how maneuverable it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts