CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 170 mile ride I noticed dirt on the rear wheel rim. Only the rim not on the spokes. Upon checking I found it was oily apparently thrown out of the rear drive by centrifical force. The rear end was a tad low, none ran out when I removed the filler cap. I text photos to my dealer who said DO NOT RIDE IT. But get it in to be checked. I'm sure they are CTA should it puke all the oil out on the tire or brake pads.
They say it will be at least a week to get the ok to tear it apart, then order parts and get it back together under warranty another week.

Anyone else run across this. The bike has less than 1000 miles on it.

I would have put up pic's but it says my phone camera pic':confused:s are too large.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If this turns out to really be a leaky seal, I think you will be the first to report a "real" problem (or have I missed something). A dubious distinction - but I suppose it has to happen sooner or later...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just removed my rear wheel to change the tire. When you pull the rear tire you will see that the fine drive gears are greased pretty well. So much so that a lot of that grease was flung out to the edges of the final drive housing. Hopefully, your problem is that some of this grease just worked it way out of the housing and not a seal problem.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got my bike back today. First mistake I made was to clean the mess off the rear wheel. I figured it would reappear when I rode to the dealer. BUT when I text them the pic's they said don't ride it. So I trailered it there.
They rode the bike but could not duplicate what I found on the rear wheel. They checked with the dist rep and I assume they forwarded my text pictures to him. He "opened a file" on my bike for future reference should I have a problem. But they did not tear it down for inspection. I rode it home about 45 miles and it's still dry.
So I guess the lesson I learned is, if you suspect a leak ask before you clean it up. I still have the dirty pic's on my phone. The wheel, guys. The dirty wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts