CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I bit the bullet and bought the Honda LED Fog Lamp Kit. I finally got everything installed and put back together. :D These puppies are BRIGHT!! :smileygarden_de_ban Let me know what you think????

Attachments

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
They look good to me. Do you dare turn them on and take a picture? Might burn the camera out.:D
What do they bolt to? Is the wireing on the bike ready for the lights?
Where is the switch mounted? Is that a prepared place?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I can try and take a picture with the lights on, but may not be able to see much with all the light. I will try though and see what it looks like, if I can see anything I will post it. :D The are mounted just below the crash bar that sticks out on both sides of the bike. One of my pictures shows pretty good where they mount. You should be able to make the picture larger so you can see a close up of how they're mounted. The bike is already pre-wired for the LED light kit, but you have to buy the lights and the LED light driver as one kit and buy the mounting kit to do the install. The mounting kit comes with a wiring harness for the lights and to plug into the existing wiring on the bike. The mounting kit also comes with a new knob for the driving light switch which is already on the right switch bank. Also when you turn the lights on there is a green light on the dash that lights up too that shows that they are on.

They look good to me. Do you dare turn them on and take a picture? Might burn the camera out.:D
What do they bolt to? Is the wireing on the bike ready for the lights?
Where is the switch mounted? Is that a prepared place?

·
Registered
446 Posts
(...) The bike is already pre-wired for the LED light kit (...)The mounting kit comes with a wiring harness for the lights and to plug into the existing wiring on the bike(...)
Which in my book amounts to "no, it's not". "Pre-wired" means "I plug the lights and at most a switch in and I'm good to go".

A driver box + a rather complex harness with expensive and different connectors at each of its 6 (!) ends + a power relay doesn't count as "nothing", so the fact that all that has to be added doesn't count as "pre-wired".

Enter the term "prepared for", often used in the auto industry to depict a situation not unlike the one of the Fog Lights on the CTX1300: there is a plug somewhere and we tried not to make it impossible for you to do it.
"Prepared for iPod input" = "there is a plug somewhere and the audio head unit has an iPod input button/menu entry"
"Pre-wired for iPod input" = "there is an iPod connector in the center console and it's plug-and-play".

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the bike is already pre wired for the lights from the factory with the plugs pre wired and so in my opinion it's a plug n play type hook up. The hardest part of the whole process was figuring out exactly how to route the small wiring harness. The actual plugging everything up was not a big deal.

Which in my book amounts to "no, it's not". "Pre-wired" means "I plug the lights and at most a switch in and I'm good to go".

A driver box + a rather complex harness with expensive and different connectors at each of its 6 (!) ends + a power relay doesn't count as "nothing", so the fact that all that has to be added doesn't count as "pre-wired".

Enter the term "prepared for", often used in the auto industry to depict a situation not unlike the one of the Fog Lights on the CTX1300: there is a plug somewhere and we tried not to make it impossible for you to do it.
"Prepared for iPod input" = "there is a plug somewhere and the audio head unit has an iPod input button/menu entry"
"Pre-wired for iPod input" = "there is an iPod connector in the center console and it's plug-and-play".

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
. The mounting kit also comes with a new knob for the driving light switch which is already on the right switch bank. Also when you turn the lights on there is a green light on the dash that lights up too that shows that they are on.
I don't understand your description of the "driving light switch... on the right switch bank." So maybe a new rocker switch is added to right bank? Can you take a picture of it?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well the bike is already pre wired for the lights from the factory with the plugs pre wired(...)
The plugs which the fog lights plug into are part of the harness in the kit, not of the bike's harness. Therefore, not factory pre-wired :)
Honda ain't stupid: if it were pre-wired everybody could install their own lights for a fraction of the price and they can't have that.

I don't understand your description of the "driving light switch... on the right switch bank." So maybe a new rocker switch is added to right bank?
On the right switch bank, the outermost switch is a dummy cover over a real switch. The dummy cover has a longer (higher) skirt which prevents it from being depressed -- you replace that cover with the one in the kit which has the skirt of the same depth as the other buttons in the row, thus mechanically enabling the usage of the switch it sits upon.
The real switch has a short cable which plugs into a dummy connector taped to the wire harness -- you take it out of the dummy plug and connect it to one of the ends of the wire harness in the kit.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I'm serious when I say Thank you for answering my questions. I like more lights and maybe these will work for me. But considering my tip over troubles, I wonder if the bike went down on its side, what will hit the pavement first, the crash bar or the fog light?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a picture of the LED light switch that is with the right side switch bank. Hope that helps you out. :smile:

I don't understand your description of the "driving light switch... on the right switch bank." So maybe a new rocker switch is added to right bank? Can you take a picture of it?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, I've been thinking about this for a while and a couple of questions:
1) How do these light up the shoulders at night? I ride home sometimes and it's usually dark, my headlight slants as I turn and I can't see the shoulders. Deer and other critters come from the shoulders.
2) Did you get any type of specific info with the light as in the beam pattern or how many lumens?

They do look nice on the bike, and I've been reading and re-reading the installation instructions.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Nice lights, but $$$.

I installed the lights below for about $130, which includes menosabe's bracket that you can use for pegs, plus switch and hardware and beer. These LED lights alone only cost about $27, cheaper than I paid for them! I didn't look into mounting them where the OEM lights attach, but maybe you can do that.

Very bright flood light pattern which you can kinda see in the dark pic. I wired them to flash opposite the signal lights for added visibility and coolness. Instructions here

Attachments

Reactions: Blue Baron

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi all : I bought my bike second hand, although it was only a few months old with 900 miles on the clock so good as new. The first owner had spent money on quite a few extras : Honda top box, Honda tall screen, an analogue clock (not sure why, as the bike comes with a digital one), gear indicator (not very accurate), Tom Tom satnav and the Honda LED lights. I have to say that the lights are brilliant, both literally and metaphorically. When I had the clutch replaced (see my post on that elsewhere on this forum) my wife took me to the dealer in her car and I rode home behind her on the return journey. When we got home, the first thing she commented on was how bright these lights are and how visible it made me to other road users without being dazzling. Definitely worth having.

Happy and safe riding,

Stretto Boy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is the fog light switch only there on the CTX1300A? I don't have a deluxe.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Is the fog light switch only there on the CTX1300A? I don't have a deluxe.
the switch is included in the kit for both standard and deluxe
you remove a dummy switch and put the fog switch

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
The switch is under the dummy cover which is the triangular blank on the right end of the right button bank of all versions of the bike. It is a separately wired plug, that is also there under the panels. If you are adding the OEM fog light kit a new cover is provided to enable using that switch. If you are adding your own lights you can cut a tab off the bottom side of the dummy cover to enable the switch as well.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts