CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Honda has a LED fog light accessory. Very expensive when you have to spend 400+ for the attachment kit, and then 300+ for the lights. HOWEVER, I did exactly that on my Honda CB500X and they looked great, and had that nice OEM fitment (and integration).

Does anyone have the Honda LED accessory lights?

·
Registered
764 Posts
The general consensus here is that the headlights are awesome. Most owners don't feel the need to add more lighting. Those who do are looking at less expensive options.

I will eventually be adding the lights to my blue bike, but I will take a look around to see what the aftermarket offers before I plunk down all that money.

I ride to work at prime deer hitting time in the morning. A deer killed my Gold Wing two years ago near Hilham TN and I don't want that to happen to my CTX.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone know where the OEM LED lights mount on the CTX1300?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Just below the tip-over bar cover on each side in front of the cylinder head covers there are 2 bolts. Those are the mount points for the OEM fog light brackets.

If I were to feel the need to supplement the phenomenal OEM headlights on this bike I would likely buy and aftermarket LED light kit and mount them in that same location.

You really should take your new bike out at night and verify if you feel the need for more light.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking of them more of making people see me. I agree the stock LED headlamps are incredible. With that being said do you all drive during the day with high beams on? I don't on the CTX, but do on my BMW that has a standard halogen bulb.

Eric

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
105 Posts
I haven't used my high beam during the day.....the lights are great but I may consider the fogs to enhance the daytime visibility.....I remember some talk somewhere about a "triangle of light" being good for daytime visibility.....I think I can justify them as there really aren't a lot of accessories to be had for this bike yet......

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't used my high beam during the day.....the lights are great but I may consider the fogs to enhance the daytime visibility.....I remember some talk somewhere about a "triangle of light" being good for daytime visibility.....I think I can justify them as there really aren't a lot of accessories to be had for this bike yet......
Agree

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have them but have not yet installed them. 63 steps from honda to install.
I am going to wait till it is put up for the winter and do them the cruise and the center stand at the same time.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
If you look at thread "Highway pegs and fog lights together" and like what you see. The Kuryakyn pegs with LED lights and powder coated bracket are only $300. If you want chrome bracket brackets, its an extra $20

·
Registered
268 Posts
I find the stock headlights to be adequate. However...the projected beam is flat. When leaning into a turn the flat beam leans with the angle of the bike leaving a large dark area.
I went to the Honda shop to check on availability and cost of the OEM driving lights and balked at the cost. Shopping around now for something more cost effective.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find the stock headlights to be adequate. However...the projected beam is flat. When leaning into a turn the flat beam leans with the angle of the bike leaving a large dark area.
I went to the Honda shop to check on availability and cost of the OEM driving lights and balked at the cost. Shopping around now for something more cost effective.
yep, I know what you mean. I actually like riding at night but noticed the flat beam myself. I paid a pretty penny for the OEM fog lights on a Honda CB500X... and don't wish to repeat it for this bike.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Then you need a BMW K1600GTL :) The first bike with a "leaning" headlight (the low beam points upwards and there's a mirror in front of it that shines the beam on the road. On the "GT", the mirror only moves up and down to compensate for bike load and raise/dive as mandated by EU regulations for Xenon headlights.

However, if you've got way too much money and don't feel offended by BMW charging about 500USD for the equivalent of flipping a bit in the bike's firmware, you can get the GTL in which the mirror also moves left and right when leaning in a turn so that the corner is kept fully illuminated as if you were riding straight.

Maybe I'm cheap, but if I had 500USD to spend on cornering lights for a bike, I'd buy a pair of good LED spotlights on eBay and a pair of servo camera gimbals for GoPro (the ones you use to keep your GoPro pointed at what you're shooting when attaching the former to a drone). Those four will be under 150USD in total. I'd mount the lights on the gimbals and drive them with two ATtinys reading one inertial sensor each. All in, it would be under 200USD and it would look beyond awesome because you could actually see the light mounts turning and pointing themselves at the turn as the bike leans :)

Reactions: bruceb and bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Menosabe, I really like the vid you posted of the rear facing view with your wife riding the Texas curves. For sure your fogs create a highly visible profile.
I did have the OEM fogs mounted when I got the bike Feb 7 and find them really fantastic. I have ridden in dark rain etc quite a bit so far and find them to really help from my point of view as well.
Your option seems a lot more affordable though.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Thanks for the nice words. I enjoy making things that help other riders. $60 is not much compared to OEMs prices. I see riders are looking for a saddlebag guards and I will be creating one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts