CTX 1300 Forum banner

LED's

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Doin Time 2 
#1 ·
I hope that this hasn't been asked before but is everyone happy with the LED's? Is the headlight bright enough? Does it need aftermarket driving lights such as Clearwater? Darla's or are the Honda Fog light acceptable for those dark country roads? Are the tail lights enough or would extra light be wanted or rear brake modulators? Thanks

#2 ·
I'm my opinion they are great, they are incredibly bright, they offer a long beam of clear white light. I see no need to upgrade or add fog lights. The blinkers and rears are crystal too. I often have drivers flashing their brights at me when oncoming because they're that bright. That being said, the more lights you have, the more visible you are, so I don't think you'd hurt anything adding, but definitely not necessary.

#3 ·
Hi : my bike has the Honda fog lights and they are great. They make really good daytime safety lights. I did wonder whether they should be used when it's not foggy but there doesn't seem to be any way of turning them off. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, have you found a way of turning them off?

Happy and safe riding all.

Stretto Boy

#4 ·
The Honda fog lights "should" turn off with high beams on. At least that's the law in most states in the USA. Fog lights on only with low beams, driving lights on only with high beams. Don't know about outside the USA but can't imagine Honda would make that option different like that for other countries.

I also have felt no pressing need to add more light up front for me due to how great the stock LED lamps are. But as @JBone says, more light=more visibility to others, flashing light=even more visibility. Can't hurt. I added a LED flashing brake light bar to the rear, without modifying the stock lights, just for more visibility from behind. If I decide to pull the trigger on adding more light up front I'll likely go with THESE driving lights with 10 degree pattern (pencil beam) mounted at the Honda factory provided location under the tip over bars. But I haven't convinced myself that I do enough nighttime riding to justify them yet.

Reactions: JBone
#5 ·
The front light are more than enough.
I find the rear light, as for the most bikes, not so bright.
I added some reflective tape at my side bags and added lights in my rear top trunk. witch with a resistor and two diodes works as rear and brake light. see 'my garage' for pictures.
I am still looking for more lights. the led flashing lights are nice but not allowed over here :(

#6 ·
I learned about the "triangle of light" years ago, i.e. three lights placed as a triangle are easier to see, as well as judge the distance and width of the object. Thus I added a pair of these lights to the front, using menosbe's brackets. Description here.

As for the rear, I ride with two [also good looking] friends with CTXs. Tho I can see the signals, the tail light is not adequate. I installed a Motoglo light system on my helmet, but it's worthless in the daytime. Next week I will add a pair of Hyperlights U32 LEDs to the back of my saddlebags. They consist of running and flashing brakes. This will give me more light and the aforementioned triangle in back.

Don't tell me I'm not bright!

Reactions: JBone
#7 ·
The standard lighting is very good but I have the fog lights to be more visible.

For the Honda fog lights, there is a switch on the "dash" to turn them on or off (rightmost switch on the right side). They also come off with the high beams.

Reactions: bob
#8 ·
Thanks for all your replies. As I occasionally have ADD, I want to get things done before its time. Your helpful comments have told me to slow down and enjoy my ride BEFORE I try to fix what does not need be fixed. I guess after 45 years of riding, I may still be thinking old school and start thinking Comfort, Technology, Xtreme! Thanks Again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.