CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
My bike suffered from the same issue as covered many times. Purchased it had a broken tab on the colored side panel which I welded about a year ago building a new end. That certainly helped end of black filler (panel inner left 64335-MJN-A01) but it still popped up just a bit at lower point and a few inches up. I had the pocket and filler off for a battery change and was disappointed again looking at it. I've done some abs shaping before and it came to me how people posted about leaving the push buttons out helped so must be an issue of mold vs actual was a little out of fit. Attached pics I drew red lines along where I heated from the rear and bent edge downwards to relieve the stress that popped it up.

I have a pic of the small heat gun I have that allows a focused heat to be applied. This is way different than a big heat gun, but you might be able to adapt a nose piece or use a blow dryer to accomplish. My take was fix or destroy and order a replacement if things went horribly wrong as they supposedly reworked the mold for this, but wasn't a real concern from my experience.

There is a point heating that the dull finish on the back gets shiny and thats hot enough to allow shaping or bending. When its cooling it goes dull again.

My end result was it seems to fit like its supposed to now. This is an attempt at your own risk and don't blame me.
The small edge scratches was prior to my purchase when probably the shop tech broke the tabs prying up vs lifting from under.
Watch Tool Clock Kitchen utensil Wood

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I have the same bowed up spot as in your two red lines. Instead of plastic welding the broken tab, I used black plastic epoxy and fiberglass cloth to fix it.
Just haven't gotten around to heating up the raised spot and flatten it down.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same bowed up spot as in your two red lines. Instead of plastic welding the broken tab, I used black plastic epoxy and fiberglass cloth to fix it.
Just haven't gotten around to heating up the raised spot and flatten it down.
Sounds like a good repair.

I suggest doing it pulled from bike and heat reverse side to protect finish from damage.
Its a warm it up and gently flex down. Then try fit and repeat if needed.
You probably can't tell you changed shape in your hands looking at it, but it will be obvious when you test fit. Originally mine always wanted to pull the corner up so small nibs that catch to painted edge separated. Now aligning push pin holes doesn't pull corner up.
I think I've got it but some riding will be the final test.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Sounds like a good repair.

I suggest doing it pulled from bike and heat reverse side to protect finish from damage.
Its a warm it up and gently flex down. Then try fit and repeat if needed.
You probably can't tell you changed shape in your hands looking at it, but it will be obvious when you test fit. Originally mine always wanted to pull the corner up so small nibs that catch to painted edge separated. Now aligning push pin holes doesn't pull corner up.
I think I've got it but some riding will be the final test.
My trailer box is made of ABS so I've had some practice with heating that. You really have to take it slow or the plastic is too hot before you realize it. And I'll heat it from the back side.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My trailer box is made of ABS so I've had some practice with heating that. You really have to take it slow or the plastic is too hot before you realize it. And I'll heat it from the back side.
Watch color goes shiny, once shiny you need to be moving heat.
My little heat gun is a huge advantage for this small stuff.

I used to blush heat the plastic on my jeep fenders. Made them look new for a while.

This is thin material so for all I just would offer caution if using a big heat gun/ paint stripper.

Here is a pic of mine with a dime for reference
Office supplies Liquid Chemical compound Font Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Watch color goes shiny, once shiny you need to be moving heat.
My little heat gun is a huge advantage for this small stuff.

I used to blush heat the plastic on my jeep fenders. Made them look new for a while.

This is thin material so for all I just would offer caution if using a big heat gun/ paint stripper.

Here is a pic of mine with a dime for reference
View attachment 48274
I use a butane fired soldering iron. Remove the tip and it's a heat gun about the same size as yours. Remove the entire end and it's a mini torch. It has more BTUs than an electric iron so it's nice for cutting and welding plastic.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a butane fired soldering iron. Remove the tip and it's a heat gun about the same size as yours. Remove the entire end and it's a mini torch. It has more BTUs than an electric iron so it's nice for cutting and welding plastic.
Sounds like you fully understand what you're doing. My extreme words of caution would be for someone with less experience reading this later. I absolutely believe anyone that can do basic diy stuff could do it, probably with the wife's blow dryer 😉. If a person has never played with plastic like this maybe worth finding a piece of plastic similar and practice a little. If nothing else play with milk jug or old piece of dare I say it kitchen ware, but you better ask before you melt the kitchen masters favorite piece she inherited from grandma.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Sounds like you fully understand what you're doing. My extreme words of caution would be for someone with less experience reading this later. I absolutely believe anyone that can do basic diy stuff could do it, probably with the wife's blow dryer 😉. If a person has never played with plastic like this maybe worth finding a piece of plastic similar and practice a little. If nothing else play with milk jug or old piece of dare I say it kitchen ware, but you better ask before you melt the kitchen masters favorite piece she inherited from grandma.
Exactly. I had some trial and error repairing my trailer box. It would have been easier just to buy a new trailer, but I like DIY for one. And the weight and dimensions of the box was better than anything else out there. I made a new aluminum frame, used torsion bar suspension and aluminum hubs. Lowered the weight by 39 lbs for an empty weight of 130 lbs. That will increase by about 5 lbs as I add a few final touches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts