CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I installed my K&N Air Filter and my PCV and everything was going well with putting bike back together until I got to the dreaded "Battery Cover" It was fitting just fine when I disassembled the bike, but wouldn't fit right when I was trying to put it all back together. :confused: Needless to say I'm very disappointed that this seems to be such a BIG issue for these CTX's, the fact that these bikes cost so much and the plastic issues these things have had and do have. It's amazing to me why the right side went together so smooth, but the left side is a pain in the A$$. I had to order a new inner panel "Battery Cover" from my dealer because I tried to do some modification to it and it didn't work. I'm just frustrated! :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I'm witcha. Right mirror does not fit as well after removing to connect wire for driving lights relay. Then there's the TAB!

I try to forget it by looking out the windshield instead of downward and revving to REDLINE.

Reactions: Richard Fischer

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same issue here - the piece between the left compartment and the front left cowl doesn't stay flush - keeps popping.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Add me to the list. The dealership replaced the original battery cover panel with a new one. Same problem. Been bitching at them for a fix for eight months now. Keep telling me they're gonna call me with updates. They never do. I think they're hoping that I will just go away. I just might do that. There's another Honda dealer the same distance in the opposite direction. This treatment will not be forgotten when it comes time to purchase another bike, parts or service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
@bruceb for the mirror cover you just need to adjust the metal claw that grabs the mirror covers. When I got mine I had this problem I just squeezed it to make tighter and it worked. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took my bike into the dealership to replace the battery cover which should have taken a few minutes. I found out they thought the problem was the left piece of the fairing and replaced that. When I picked up the bike they said they still had a problem, and realized that wasn't the problem. NO ?!?! !!!! So, they ordered the right part and I have to go back for the 'few minute' install. I told them they needed their mechanics to spend some time on this forum because they admitted they don't work on the CTX's too much.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
@bruceb for the mirror cover you just need to adjust the metal claw that grabs the mirror covers. When I got mine I had this problem I just squeezed it to make tighter and it worked. Hope this helps!
Thumbs-up on this. I swap out my windshields way too often and have had to do the little socket squeeze. I also have the issue with the side pocket popping out. I keep saying "one of these days I'm going to get that fixed" and then I see a bird or remember that I have to get groceries or post bond for Uncle Jedediah again or something and it completely goes off my mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I picked up the bike I had the same issue with the broken tabs. I think mine was the first or second ctx 1300 the shop had unpacked and put together. That was May. Move forward to June. I hit a deer getting off highway and every plastic cowl forward of the seat was broken or bent beyond repair. I got the bike back about two weeks ago and I got to say the mechanics have learned alot about the ctx 1300. The cowls are tight and stay in place, no issues. No broken tabs. The seams between panel are consistent dont move or vibrant. Great job to Station Park.

·
Registered
14 Posts
added thought- The original panels had weak or missing tabs. after the deer incident the new panel tabs looked like honda had beefed them up (so to speak) adding more side legs to the tabs. The panels do fix extremely tight and better now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

If possible, could someone post a pic of the issue? I'm looking at possibly buying the CTX and would like to have an idea of what to look at when I'm at the dealership.

Thank you!

·
Registered
114 Posts
As I heard from HondaBiker there is a spare-part with a different no. which is replaced on warranty. I asked my dealer to get this part as long as I'm in warranty (March 2016). As far as I could see (with installed cover) this little triangular part is replaced by a larger, more squared part.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
As I heard from HondaBiker there is a spare-part with a different no. which is replaced on warranty. I asked my dealer to get this part as long as I'm in warranty (March 2016). As far as I could see (with installed cover) this little triangular part is replaced by a larger, more squared part.
Would you provide a little more detail about this? Part number and any info on this being a warranty replacement?

Mine broke after a few months. When I bought my CTX, I paid the dealer to reinforce that tab. Tech said he tried and tried and could not get it to work right. I have a case for a replacement.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Would you provide a little more detail about this? Part number and any info on this being a warranty replacement?

Mine broke after a few months. When I bought my CTX, I paid the dealer to reinforce that tab. Tech said he tried and tried and could not get it to work right. I have a case for a replacement.
As soon as I have information from my dealer I will post it here.

PROMISE! :wink:

Ahh and I'm only talking about the cover, NOT the tab that is mentioned in the other post "the broken tab story"! (see picture)

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I just looked on CheapCycleParts.com where I usually end up to buy Honda OEM parts. They do have a correction on the part number and a second entry for that Left Inner Panel. The diagram does not show clearly any changes though. It is Item 17 on THIS web page. There are 2 listed in the parts list on the right, one is the old one with a strike through the original part number and the second is the new one.
The new part number they show is 64335-MJN-A01 and is $13.67 + shipping from that web site. I don't know for sure if this is the new part that GermanMike is getting with the improved small square tab or not but it is a change from what they originally listed. That tiny triangular tip/tab, shown exposed on the right along the edge of the panel in GermanMike's photo in post 13 above, if made larger and a different shape would help significantly to keep that corner of the panel in place.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
As soon as I have information from my dealer I will post it here.

PROMISE! :wink:

Ahh and I'm only talking about the cover, NOT the tab that is mentioned in the other post "the broken tab story"! (see picture)
You right. My sad.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Revised Left Inner Panel

Just now saw this... I can confirm that that Honda does have a different left side inner panel, the difference is the the little tab toward the corner of the panel is a little bit bigger and is shaped more squared off instead of triangular shape. It still doesn't fit as good as the right side though. I think it's a issue with the way its' molded. It seems to me that when you put it in place it's in a bind to me. It fits better than the other panel that I replaced though.

I just looked on CheapCycleParts.com where I usually end up to buy Honda OEM parts. They do have a correction on the part number and a second entry for that Left Inner Panel. The diagram does not show clearly any changes though. It is Item 17 on THIS web page. There are 2 listed in the parts list on the right, one is the old one with a strike through the original part number and the second is the new one.
The new part number they show is 64335-MJN-A01 and is $13.67 + shipping from that web site. I don't know for sure if this is the new part that GermanMike is getting with the improved small square tab or not but it is a change from what they originally listed. That tiny triangular tip/tab, shown exposed on the right along the edge of the panel in GermanMike's photo in post 13 above, if made larger and a different shape would help significantly to keep that corner of the panel in place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello. I created my own fix. I drilled a small hole through the small tab at the corner of the panel. I slipped a small black zip tie through the hole where the end of the zip tie extended, considerably, past the lip of the panel thereby creating an edge for the panel to slip on the cowl.

When installing the zip tie "head" looks like it won't make it past the cowl. Simply press with screwdriver, as the zip tie is pliable. Upon breaking the "plane" of the cowl the zip tie pops into place, under the cowl, holding it in place.

It feels solid and, again, the zip tie is pliable for when you need to remove the inner panel.

Hope this makes sense. Next time I remove I will post pictures.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hello. I created my own fix. I drilled a small hole through the small tab at the corner of the panel. I slipped a small black zip tie through the hole where the end of the zip tie extended, considerably, past the lip of the panel thereby creating an edge for the panel to slip on the cowl.

When installing the zip tie "head" looks like it won't make it past the cowl. Simply press with screwdriver, as the zip tie is pliable. Upon breaking the "plane" of the cowl the zip tie pops into place, under the cowl, holding it in place.

It feels solid and, again, the zip tie is pliable for when you need to remove the inner panel.

Hope this makes sense. Next time I remove I will post pictures.
Welcome. Waiting for the post of pictures. I don't understand. But, I'm slow. Usually after it is explained 3 times, I understand simple things. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

1 - 20 of 21 Posts