CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to this Forum so if this has been discussed before I apologize. But, I am curious about what others use the little (tiny?) storage compartment on the left side of the CTX 1300 for. I thought I might be able to keep my side stand plastic temporary foot in it, but, nope, too small. Then I thought I could keep my little notebook that I write my gas fill-up and mileage data in, but, nope, too small. I thought keys would fit, but why would I put them in a non-secure place? I think I could keep a tube of chap stick there, but in warmer weather it might turn into a gooey mess. Soooo, what do you more experienced riders put in that tiny space?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea. I'll see if mine fits. It would be more convenient than digging it our of my jacket pocket each time I need it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
When I stop at the ATM I stick my money, receipt, and card in there so I can move on quickly and not hold up the line behind me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That compartment gets warm from the engine, regardless the weather, so nothing that melts belongs there.

I personally keep my ear plugs box in there and an L shaped adaptor for the tire valves. When using the USB stick connected to the cable in the right pocket, the USB stick cap also sits in the left pocket.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I keep a pen for writing some info on my gas receipts (I know it gets very warm but never had one leak on my ST in that hot pocket and in winter the heat keeps the pen from freezing), and my tire gauge, and my retractable helmet cable/lock. All fits perfectly. Since I ride in some very cold weather I keep my ear plugs in my jacket pocket so I can put them on inside, and my helmet, before I go out to the bike. In warmer weather I might keep those in that left pocket.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Now this is a fun question...

Like Hoosierman, I put my garage door opener in there. But I like seeing what others use this tiny space for.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Garage door opener. I put velcro on the lid and the opener so it sticks to the lid.
When you open it, you can't see the opener.

Reactions: Drummer

·
Registered
314 Posts
Garage door opener. I put velcro on the lid and the opener so it sticks to the lid.
Now that is a clever idea. That would keep it from rattling around in there like mine does.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am brand new to this Forum so if this has been discussed before I apologize. But, I am curious about what others use the little (tiny?) storage compartment on the left side of the CTX 1300 for. I thought I might be able to keep my side stand plastic temporary foot in it, but, nope, too small. Then I thought I could keep my little notebook that I write my gas fill-up and mileage data in, but, nope, too small. I thought keys would fit, but why would I put them in a non-secure place? I think I could keep a tube of chap stick there, but in warmer weather it might turn into a gooey mess. Soooo, what do you more experienced riders put in that tiny space?
like many others, a garage door opener. Also I routed my heated gear hook-up wire through that compartment. I coil it up and it is out of the way when not in use. I leave the compartment open when I am hooked up. All the more reason for the Velcro on the garage door opener. On the other side I keep a pen, tire gauge gas receipts and such.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Huh... I never thought of that. Does your lid on your compartment open up okay? I guess you do that so nobody will see it and steal it?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Yeah... I totally agree. That's what I used to do was dig it out of my jean and or jacket pocket everytime. So I thought I'd try putting mine in the left compartment since it wasn't rally big enough for anything else anyway, walla it was just the right size to fit in there.

Good idea. I'll see if mine fits. It would be more convenient than digging it our of my jacket pocket each time I need it.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Huh... I never thought of that. Does your lid on your compartment open up okay? I guess you do that so nobody will see it and steal it?
Opens fine. I mounted the velcro on the opener first (both sides), then just put it all the way to the back with the button closest to the front. Just pull it off if I want it in my pocket/jacket. I've had people(other riders checking out my bike) reach under and feel for a spare key to the bike, but never said anything about the opener.

**edit**
Never had anyone steal even when I left the key in at rally, but some jokers like to move your bike across the street, take things and put them in opposite pockets, tie knots in your bungies, etc.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
You could cut down your plastic foot to fit, Rev. I keep my sidestand prop in that compartment. I used to have one of those plastic foot-shaped one, but then I realized that every convenience store sells sidestand props. I get the "Red Bull" brand, usually in the red if they have it because it matches my motorcycle. It's nice that they come with a refreshing beverage for free! When I'm done drinking, I just step on the can and toss it the left dash pocket. If I forget to pick it back up, I can always stop at another convenience store and get another one. PLUS, it's cheaper than the plastic ones! :D

Reactions: willajabir

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don't store anything in there permanently, but use it as a staging area for my wallet if I'm going somewhere involving a toll/parking booth. Nice to have someplace to put your wallet, change, and receipt and close it up without fumbling for jacket or pants pockets. And like Ken said earlier about the ATM, you're not holding up the line behind you as long.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
For that side stand plate...
I found the ideal location for that IMHO. There is a gas cap holder in the gas door that I kept forgetting about. I never seem to remember to put the gas cap in the provided holder when filling up and end up letting it just hang there, either on the bike or on my cages. So I put it to good use. Easy to open while still on the bike and I have a neon colored cord on my plate to remind me it's there. It fits perfectly as shown in this photo (so nice of Honda to provide a side stand plate holder) :D

BTW- I've had that plate for the last 3 bikes... thus the bit of rust stain on it, mostly from the ST. I had a bolt on round plate on my GW.

I originally wanted to fit my plate in the left storage box but as y'all found out it doesn't fit. I did see one plate that would likely fit however. HD makes one (and I'm sure others do too but the one I saw was HD) that is octagon or pentagon shaped and looks to be just small enough to fit in there. The one I saw was under the side stand of a newer HD that was parked on new asphalt just the day after I recommended to the owner to get one to avoid the obvious tip over on a hot day in July. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I love to see good ole American ingenuity at work!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts