CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Got a quick Q here: Is there any hardware provided for those large slots to hold the tag? Or do you just get your own large washers and mount either a wing-nut or nut?

I have mounted my plate and frame using large washers and nuts. I'm just wondering if there was anything special that the bike comes with as these slots are huge. Thanks.

·
Registered
446 Posts
On the EU model they don't even come with holes drilled :) I drilled my own and used nylon nuts and bolts to fasten my number plate onto the black plastic mini-fender-thing.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Both of mine just came with small bolts and wing nuts. No washers. I've not lost a plate yet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the EU model they don't even come with holes drilled :) I drilled my own and used nylon nuts and bolts to fasten my number plate onto the black plastic mini-fender-thing.
I don't understand. Where you have the mud flap, there is an area that has slotted holes that are huge. Are you stating that that's not the case for the EU models?

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I think the issue is that in Europe the plates from different countries have different spaced mounting holes enough that it is better to let the individual drill the holes themselves (not positive though). At least I do know they are very different than here. In the USA all plates are basically the same for mounting holes... a standard spacing here across the States.

I like the idea of being able to drill my own holes to mount the plate so I can also choose my own bolts. I am eventually going to add one of these to the bike:

Knight Rider Non-Sequential Dual Intensity 12 LED Light Bar with Flashing Brake Alert - Red, Item: LB03
(about half way down the page just after the photo of the red sport bike)

I plan to use an aluminum plate to mount on the bike at the license mounting holes, mount the license plate a little lower on that plate, and mount this LED bar just above the license. This is a very bright LED running/brake light. It flashes for 6 seconds and then goes solid on when brakes applied. Had one of these on my ST1100 and really liked it. Not as pricey as Hyperlites.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes, like bob said, if the car plates are pretty much standard (in what outer dimensions and mount points are concerned), motorbike plates are all over the place -- that's legally speaking. The full gamut of plate sizes and shapes people actually put on their bikes varies from keychain tag -sized to almost close to the US Letter page :D Finally, this is not helped by the fact that in some countries the plate stays with the bike until you dismantle it while in others it changes with every owner.

Moreover, if you look in the parts list, you will see the US model actually lists the fasteners that go into those holes too -- whereas the EU one doesn't have any (since there's no holes to start with).

I was also very happy to be able to drill my own holes because I could pick the exact fastener size I wanted (not too thick, not too thin) and I could also drill them asymmetrically since the design of the EU motorcycle plate (yes, I'm one of those guys that insists on wearing legal plates) fits much better with the left fastener closer to the center line than the right one due to the flag.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Where'd you get a plate holder like that?
Mine just came with the holes in the rear fender/mud flap and no holder.
That holder kind of looks the size of a standard automobile plate. My plate is the smaller mc plate... same size as a cargo trailer plate... much smaller.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't get that bracket with my bike. The image is a bike in the EU and that's the reason I raised the question originally wanting to know if we got any HW or brackets with our bikes in the US.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well after waiting almost the full limit of my 60 day temporary tag, I finally got my plate yesterday. I installed it tonight, and as the dealer rep told me, the ergo's on this install are HORRIBLE!

So how do you tighten down the bolt on the outside and stop the nut on the backside from spinning? The way they have this configured, you have to reach your fingers up under the fender, and curve them inward to reach the nut. And once in position, you can't get an ounce of grip on the nut. Certainly there is no tool that I know of that can reach in there and grip it tightly enough to hold it while you tighten the bolt. So how on EARTH do they expect you to secure the plate so the bolt doesn't vibrate loose? This mystifies me, and I can't believe any manufacturer, much less Honda, would design it like this.

How do you get the damned thing on and tight? I'm afraid to ride until I get it secured. But the nut just turns in my fingers no matter how hard I grip it.

Why is nothing ever easy?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
For me:
I used 2 fingers to hold the nut (not the one in the seat) and got it started, then used a ratchet with a short extension to tighten it. Make sure you have some washer behind each nut or it will easily pull through.

Having said that, I already have alternate plans for the renewal tag. Put slightly longer screws in from the inside. Use locknuts to secure it to the bike. Then the thread that sticks out past the lock nut will be used for mounting the tag with wing nuts so future interactions will be easy.

Reactions: psullam

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd advise against using wing nuts. I don't inherently trust people to be decent. And wing nuts can be removed by hand. Regular nuts, not so much. I'd think twice about that. But thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if I can get a socket extension behind there.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
98 Posts
Man, come to Richmond and I will buy you a beer! That worked perfectly. Still not easy, but it got the job done. Thanks!

Reactions: willajabir

·
Registered
446 Posts
I used nylon screws and flange nuts, it was easy to tighten them by hand all the way in and the nylon provides enough friction to prevent vibration loosening.

Maybe I have small hands, but it was no problem fitting a fist and box-end wrench in the space between the tire and the tail, to tighten the bolts just a bit (because nylon doesn't like too much).

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Did similar to above. Used pliers to hold the bolts for the extension plate I added. Washers behind to keep bolts/nuts from pulling through. Used nylock nuts. Mounted a LED bar on top of plate between the bolts and drilled smaller holes that just fit the bolts for the license tag that sits a little lower.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts