CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up - it is possible to start and run the CTX and NOT have any lights work. If you turn just a little too far to ACC., this happens. I have done this twice, at night and after having it locked. Do I have a bad switch or just goofing it up?:350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I have turned it there from Lock once in a while. Didn't think the engine would start in ACC position. I've turned to that intentionally to charge my Sena on the 12v socket in my right saddlebag and it turns off my engine. At least I THOUGHT it turned off the engine. Will have to go try it now just to make sure I remember right. Maybe you are turning it to between run and acc and only some of the contacts inside the switch are bridging to both. Not a good thing if that's what it is.

Update: I did check and the engine will not start and ALL factory lights are off in ACC, except the dash back lighting and LED panel is on. Oh. Since my Eastern Beaver fuse block is activated by ACC that is also on with the key in ACC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had that happen once, not sure if the circumstance had anything to do with it or just coincidence. Turned the key on and hit the starter before the dash display did its cycle through and noticed the headlights weren't on, shut it down restarted after cycle through and lights came on when it started. Like I said could have just been coincidence but been letting display cycle through before hitting starter and haven't had any problems. Might not be the case for you but just passing on some info.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The dash doesn't talk to the headlight so the dash not finishing its start animation (or being dead altogether) shouldn't prevent the headlight from coming on.

Question: were all lights off or just the headlight? If only the headlight, then its controller got confused by the sudden surge when starting the engine and decided to remain off to protect itself. In theory, the beefy resistor in series with the headlight's power line is meant to prevent exactly that, but you appear to have tricked it anyway.

As for the ignition switch being halfway there, the same wire that powers the ECU, powers the headlight as well so if it were the case that the switch was still electrically in the ACC position, the ECU light would've been ON in the dashboard and the engine wouldn't have started.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sorta same thing happened to me while riding.Bike was running fine but no lites or horn at all. No signals either. Stopped n shut off bike. Thought it was the fuse. Turned key back on & all is ok?? Anyone else had this happen to them? Bike only has 3k on it. Bought new in july...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I started the flashers with the acc on, and then turned off the ignition switch. The flashers stayed on. A good thing. Still learning the audio system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes if flashers are turned on, they remain on when the ignition is turned off. This is to maximize battery life for the flashers. I have never had an issue with the headlight not turning on when bike is turned to the on position.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I turned it on Acc. once. When I bought the Bike, right in front of the Dealer. Wouldn't Start, messed with the shifter, kickstand, start button and every button on the Audio/Dash Control. Then I tuned off the key, turned it 1 click and BAM fired right up.(glad I didn't have to go back and ask how to start my New Motorcycle) I'm Old, I learn slower now:350x700px-LL-66dd6d:350x700px-LL-66dd6d:350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sorta same thing happened to me while riding.Bike was running fine but no lites or horn at all. No signals either. Stopped n shut off bike. Thought it was the fuse. Turned key back on & all is ok?? Anyone else had this happen to them? Bike only has 3k on it. Bought new in july...
After you turn the key on, do you wait the end of the "system boot/check" before hitting the START button?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I will often hit the start before the boot sequence is done... usually when I stop to check the mailbox and restart to go the rest of the way home. Doesn't make a difference waiting or not from what I've experienced.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I will often hit the start before the boot sequence is done... usually when I stop to check the mailbox and restart to go the rest of the way home. Doesn't make a difference waiting or not from what I've experienced.
I just don't turn my bike off when I check your mailbox :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes!!!
Let the gauges do their thing, then hit the starter button.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Guys can anybody post a photo of the dash when the ignition key is in the 'ACC' position?

On my bike when the key is in 'ACC' the engine shuts down and audio still works (expectedly), BUT at the same time ABS, TC, check engine and oil pressure lights are still ON. I assume since the engine got shutted down there is no any sense to keep those lights on, right? Is it per Honda design and it does happen for everybody when key is in 'ACC' position?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hi Guys can anybody post a photo of the dash when the ignition key is in the 'ACC' position?

On my bike when the key is in 'ACC' the engine shuts down and audio still works (expectedly), BUT at the same time ABS, TC, check engine and oil pressure lights are still ON. I assume since the engine got shutted down there is no any sense to keep those lights on, right? Is it per Honda design and it does happen for everybody when key is in 'ACC' position?

Thanks!
See picture.
The engine light should turn off after 1-2 seconds
ABS/TCS lights turn off after start moving if everything is OK
Oil light turn off after you start the engine, if I remember well.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
psullam, citixen asked about "key in ACC", not about normal usage (which is what you described).

First of all, all the "lights" are LEDs, they consume close to nothing and produce no heat.
Second:
- the "check engine" light comes on and stays on because the ECU is not powered in ACC and the dashboard interprets that as an error (since it cannot talk to the ECU anymore)
- same story for the ABS (ABS controller powered off) and TC (ECU powered off) lights
- the "oil pressure" light stays on because the oil pressure switch is off (since the engine's not turning)

I'm sure all of you are old enough to remember somewhat old cars do the same: you get the "battery" (alternator not charging because it's not spinning) and the "oil" lights on in ACC mode.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for clarification CSDEXTER!
So IIUC all CTX1300 behaves in such manner in 'ACC' key position - seems like it per Honda design then.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I'm sure all of you are old enough to remember somewhat old cars do the same: you get the "battery" (alternator not charging because it's not spinning) and the "oil" lights on in ACC mode.
Ok, you mentioned age:
[hijack]
Rather than a number for how old I am(I do remember), let me tell you this. To start my first pickup, you had to place your right foot over the brake, twist it to the right and depress the gas pedal half way. Left foot depressed the clutch pedal and twisted to the left to press the starter switch which was right next to the dimmer switch. Being a good driver meant you could peel rubber in every gear with small skips on the road between gears until you reached high. BUT you still had to be good enough once you moved to the fields not to dump the guys in the back stacking the hay and still keep up with the crew on the ground tossing the bales.[/hijack]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts