CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2005 Victory Kingpin. Gettin a hankering to move up to a modern motorcycle.

I want a comfortable cruiser with TC and ABS. Don't want an 800#+ touring machine, as I don't ride 2up any longer and I'm a senior citizen. Need some fairing protection since I moved to the NW from AZ.

I plan to see and ride one in two days. More to come.,..

Bruce

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Welcome Bruce,
The CTX ain't quite a ST bike, but it feels a bit more than a cruiser to me.
I've been riding multiple new Honda & V-Star cruisers the past 2 years trying to find one I liked for my last purchase. This was number 27 (lifetime purchases) which is not as many as some here and more than others.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them(the cruisers) tremendously, but there just wasn't the umph and smile factor. The CTX has put it there.
As far as being senior, I do believe you are going to find about 90% here will call you young. Most here are nearing or past the point of getting the free drink and discounts at the eateries. I'm only 60 this year, so maybe I'll catch up with you old f***s in about 30 years.
If you've been reading the threads, you can see it doesn't fit everyone. After you kick some tires, come back and express your opinion(s), good or bad.
I going with the "I took a ride and rode it home" report.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Bruce! Looking forward to your opinion after a test ride. From what you say you're looking for, the CTX1300 with a tall windscreen ought to meet your needs about perfectly. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Welcome here @bruceb. Let us know what you think. No bike is for everyone, but I sure like this one. I was just looking for a while. Seems I do that for many new bikes that show up on the scene but this is the one I rode home on. I figured it was worth going 145 miles away to get it. Really enjoyed that ride home! :D

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took my test ride this afternoon, along with a ride on a Harley Softail Deluxe. I also stopped at another dealer, and the salesman insisted I ride a Yamaha Tourer, and an enhanced Vstar.

Softail too cramped. The salesman suggested a different seat, then went off to complete a sale. Too much money for something I don't really want. Goodbye.

Then I rode a CTX. I only learned after returning that it was not a deluxe. Thought I, "Not impressed with these self-canceling signals." And "I guess I'm not hitting the brakes
hard enough to engage the ABS." And "Where are the hand controls for the music system?" Sighhhh.

The riding conditions were unfavorable. Light rain on heavily traveled roads that had not seen rain in a while. Coupled with new tires. And heavy traffic. I skidded the Harely
rear tire once.

Thus I could not judge the handling. I accept the evaluation of others that it is great. I have never owned a motorcycle with a low center of gravity. Felt funny. But I'm sure I
would grow to like it. It felt lighter, tho it weighs more, than my Kingpin.

Couldn't judge the power much, with so little room to run. Certainly faster than my Kingpin 1500 Vtwin.

It felt comfortable, with a good seat. I would have moved the bars a little closer. And add a back rest. Didn't pay much attention to the dash.

Can't understand why they don't offer cruise even as an option, since it is available overseas. Looks like a place for a throttle lock tho, like the one I use currently.

Would rather have floorboards and heel-toe, but I shifted easily. And would hope for someone to the boards later.

Looks sharp, as you know. A modern style in contrast to the Depression era vibe of the Harley.

I have a good price on the Deluxe from at least one dealer - $13,889 delivered, plus tax and docs. I have not talked with him, so don't know if that also includes extra bucks or
other goodies.

I would add a taller windshield and center stand. And aforementioned back rest. And some highway pegs, tho my quick scope of the frame did not reveal where one would put a set on both sides.

But, but, but.

The shock I felt thru the bars when hitting anything more than a pebble! :eek: You know what I mean, as people on this forum complain of the same problem. I rode five motorcycles today, and none of the others registered much on a bump, even my 10 year old machine.

I won't buy it the way it is. Salesman knew not of the problem. He had never ridden one.

Service guy talked of lighter fork oil and spring adjustment and new shock. $500. On a new motorcycle?

Even if I agree to pay it, with what guarantee? I would only buy it with a guarantee to fix it to my satisfaction, or $ back. And don't sell my trade-in. Which I will tell each salesman tomorrow.

I read the discussions about this problem, but could not find an agreed upon solution. Do we have one yet? Is it Flytrap's and Colin's ideas here? http://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/wheels-tires-suspension/7938-front-suspension-improved-lot.html

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
That thread does have the easier fix for the front shocks. I can wait until I need to swap out the oil there anyway to put in the 5w. Mine has softened up a lot since new and I really don't notice any difference between my CTX1300 and my old ST1100 now. I know everyone is different in this and it is definitely personal impressions. Seems those who are used to a much softer ride think this one is harsh and those who have been used to bikes that give a harsh ride think this one is fine.

While I've never previously owned a bike without a center stand I'm fine with this one as it is without it. I do intend to buy a front wheel chock to hold it straight up. I rather prefer having it on the side stand, on a 2x4, for oil changes. Tips the bike just right to drain the oil (drain plug on the left side of pan, and makes it actually easier for me to get to the filter. WAY easier to change the filter than any of my recent bikes (GW, Burgman, ST) since no plastic to remove and can get to it easily by comparison. When I need it straight I also need both tires on the ground. I found that doing some maintenance on my ST I needed to compensate for the rear tire being elevated a few inches for some fluid level checks. Not enough to really matter but if I'm checking I may as well get it right.

I had cruise on my GW but not any other bike and that's also a non-issue for me since at least 80% of my riding is close to home and I wouldn't use it then anyway. There are a few owners here who added that feature on theirs.

Too bad conditions weren't better for really testing the bike. I think once you get going this one shines even better. BTW, you didn't activate the ABS because you were not on a Deluxe. In the USA only the Deluxe has ABS/TC.

Oh, look up posts by menosabe here to find a really good bracket for foot pegs. That one's been solved in my book. I just need to beef up my farkle fund to buy some stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Just chiming in: I don't know if it is just me getting used to it or not, but I did notice the handlebar "resonance" when I first got my bike but I can't remember the last time I noticed it. Either I have become acclimated, or the front suspension just needed some break-in time. Either way... I'm going to pay close attention next time I go on a jaunt to see if I can discern any vibration. It probably doesn't have anything to do with it, but I stiffened up my rear preload a couple of weeks after I got the bike. It was very easy to do, and resulted in a completely different feel. It was set WAY too soft at the dealership. Good luck, and no matter which bike you choose, have fun! But I do hope the CTX wins you over. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bruce,

Here is what I would do - since Honda has such a huge rebate going on now, you are getting a lot of bang for the buck. The CTX is a VERY versatile bike, it is a bagger that can be a weekend touring bike. It is very comfortable, smooth engine, and when you get the ABS, you get the Bluetooth system also. It will outperform your King Pin up/down/over/under/everywhere...hands down, so you are talking about a significant upgrade when it comes to the practicality of a bike.

Regarding the front end harshness...it isn't that difficult to totally transform the front end if you want, and I would agree that the shock setting on the rear probably affects the front end feel. For not a lot of money, you can put some softer springs, but I think it is a valving issue so changing the fork oil weight will dampen that jarring feeling you prefer. For me..I feel it a little bit, but I don't mind it as bad as I like feeling the road more, even the joint cracks in the road...it tells me I am on a bike.

Victory makes a great bike, I go to the plant on weekends and check to see what is going on there, and they are building the beautiful new Indian bikes! IF...IF you just can't get a woody over the CTX, I would step up the money game and buy the new Indian Dark Horse that just came out. It is the Indian Classic that is blacked out, solo saddle, but nice wide bars, the 111 c.i. engine with a 6 speed, ABS and factory electric cruise (did you hear that Honda/???????)....price $16,990 but don't expect any rebates like is going on with the Honda...Indian dealers are getting to be like the Harley dealers used to be...retail + set-up + delivery cost, or they broom you! What a racket :)

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I took a second test ride. No shock thru bars. Don't know why.

Better riding conditions. Convinced! I see what you mean. I like go fast. Got a woody.

Yesterday I ordered a red Deluxe with some added chrome. Drain the fork oil. Put in Bob's recommended horn. Ordered brakeaway throttle lock and mirrors. Will order mini floorboards and some other stuff I forget.

Delivery on one week! :smileygarden_de_ban:smileygarden_de_ban:smileygarden_de_ban

Reactions: shane and bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Way to go Bruce! Now we're going to have two CTX1300's on the Olympic Peninsula. It'll be tough telling them apart 'cause their both red. Guess yours will be the one with the loud horn and the floorboards.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
You two need a meetup and take some scenic twin photos!!!!
And I do mean to post on the board....don't keep 'em to yourselves.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You two need a meetup and take some scenic twin photos!!!!
And I do mean to post on the board....don't keep 'em to yourselves.
Easy. We already belong to the same club - The Outriders of the Olympic Peninsula. I should have my machine by time of the meeting week after next.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Congrats, bruceb!
My bike is the red deluxe too... it *is* the fastest color... :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Congrats, bruceb!
My bike is the red deluxe too... it *is* the 2nd fastest color... :)
Why do you think BLACK holes are black and RED dwarfs are red?:520::tongue:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
OK... 2nd! But only because I really like the black too! :)

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Black = Harley

Red = Honda. And Fast.

End of discussion.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Although, I will be glad to see if/when the white model makes it to the states... A great picture would be getting the red, white, and blue together for a photo shoot. Or the black and white model. Or any of them, actually. :p
I'm not alone in thinking that the black one looks almost exactly like the dragon Toothless from the How to Train Your Dragon movie. I wish some rich customizer would get their hands on a black one and make it REALLY black, with no chrome showing. Not that I would want to own that bike, but it would be interesting!
... and that's enough coffee for you this morning, Mr. Shane...
:)

Reactions: willajabir

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Obviously you've never heard the ode made famous by Roy Orbison:

"Blue by you":wink:
No, I was thinking of Bobbie Vinton's song
Blue on blue.

Uh oh. Geezer alert!! :eek::eek:

Reactions: bob and Springer