CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone located reasonably priced lights that would be supplemental for my CTX 1300, I'd like to mount them somewhere perhaps on the tip over wing but I'm not really sure, I want ones that have really good lighting power, anybody located any,?

·
Super Moderator
5,444 Posts
Most I've heard of that are added to many bikes are only 13-18 watts per lamp. I found some that were 20 watts per lamp. The ones I found were also a pencil beam concentrating the light at 10 deg vs most that are much wider at 30 deg spreading out the light. I was still lighting up the ditches on each side of a 2 lane road and WAY farther down the road than any I've used before. Mine were driving light rather than fog lights.

See my thread on the install on my CTX1300 here:
New Driving lights installed

And a few pics of a remote road with very little lighting that was on shortly after installing these.
Here is factory low beam

and high beam

and high beam with driving lights. Note: there is a sharp turn going right at the bottom of the hill a little over a quarter mile away. Only the driving lights illuminate the warning arrow signs and the turn very much. The high beams do a little but not nearly as much as these driving lights.

I mounted these in the very same location on the bike as you mentioned. That also happens to be the location for the factory fog light kit mounting.

There are a few other ideas mentioned if you do a community search (top of page) on DRIVING LIGHTS.

OH, what the camera doesn't show here is that in person I could easily see the leaves and branches at least half way up the trees lining both sides of the road.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If price is no problem I understand Clearwaters are very good. I run the oem fog lights and a pair of Denali DR1 with the data dim (gives you a high and low setting). Those I mounted under the mirrors with mounts for an st1300, minor modification required. They light up the road very well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would recommend Cyclops CIL-OPR110- Long Range Optimus LED Auxiliary light Round

Use a Skene controller that way the lights can be driving lights and daytime running lights.

Here is a write-up of me adding Cyclops with Skene controller, an Eastern Beaver 8 circuit fuse block, new horns, etc on my Triumph Trophy just last month. The wiring diagrams are all on there also.

Fuse Block, Driving Lights, New Horns, GPS Mounted on Dash, etc.

There is a member here on the CTX1300 forum who was selling saddlebag guards/tip-over protectors and brackets to install lights on the CTX1300. I have both items but only have the tip-over guards installed at this time. My plan was to use the CTX1300 as my long-distance travel bike but decided to use the Trophy that way. Now the CTX1300 is limited to round trips of 600 miles or so. Anything longer than that will be on the Trophy.

So far I have put 18,662 miles on the CTX in a little of 3 years of riding. Its an easy motorcycle to ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,444 Posts
@[email protected] , same driving lights I put on mine a few years after I bought it in 2014. The big thing I liked about those is they have a 10 degree pencil beam instead of the more common 30-40 degree wide beam. These shoot the light farther down the road and still light up the ditch on both sides... just not right next to the bike. Since you are moving while you need the light I consider that much better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read an article on Denali D4 lights. Pretty impressive, I don't ride at night so for me, I will pass. for now. available at "Twisted Throttle"

Glen.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I read an article on Denali D4 lights. Pretty impressive, I don't ride at night so for me, I will pass. for now. available at "Twisted Throttle"

Glen.
Official site:

Yeah Denali D4's are available for sale at Twisted Throttle

and some more info:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts