CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am thinking about putting some accessories on my blue CTX and am looking for some advice or suggestions.
Windscreen - already have the tall Honda windscreen but find I am still getting buffeting and general discomfort around head area. Am looking at a CeeBaileys and notice they have both a 14" [same height as the Honda tall so I don't think it will fix my problems]and a 16". Two probs that may be an issue with the 16", line of sight - I am worried that it is going to be a bit too high. Has anyone had any experience with this height windscreen? I am 5'11". And I would love to get the dark tint but again, possible issues with line of sight and/or vision thru the tint?
Backrest - would like to finish off rear of bike. To me it looks like it's kind of missing something, so am looking at either the top box or the backrest. I've seen pictures of the top box and it looks a little bulky plus I don't really need the extra space, so am leaning towards the backrest. It's not thru any necessity. I just want something for cosmetic's sake. With the backrest installed, does anyone have problems slinging a leg over and catching the backrest? [have got some arthritis problems - hard to bend the old knees].
Does anyone know where I can buy an OEM backrest from outside Australia as the local prices are exorbitant? [Aus tax]
Don't get to post much on the site - haven't got much to say I guess, but I really enjoy reading what you all have to say. One last thing, I have nearly 4,000 on my CTX and the harsh suspension does seem to be softening up a little. Thanks everyone.

· Registered
797 Posts
I am only 5'10' inches tall, but I'm long in the torso. My windshield experiences seem to match up with other guys who are about six feet tall.

On my blue CTX1300 I added a Laminar Lip to the Honda Tall screen. This is the best solution I've found. I have the tall Cee Bailey on the red CTX1300. I've been thinking about adding a lip to that one as well.

I've had no issues looking over the tall screen with the lip.

CTX1300D - TennesseeSmith

Reactions: HansenCTX

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Can't speak to your windscreen issues -- I have the Honda tall screen and I'm very happy with it. I'm a very average 5'9" (32" inseam), so I'm no help to you there. I can see over the top easily, and there's all the wind protection I need with no buffeting.

I've also got the factory passenger backrest, and I have no problem getting a leg over. My wife, on the other hand, struggles a bit climbing on because of the width of the bags and the height of the backrest. But it doesn't present any problem to me.

· Registered
82 Posts
Hello Jim - I have the OEM rear back rest on my blue CTX, and it works out just fine. I'm 6ft 1in tall, (34 in inseam) and do not have any problems slinging my leg over the saddle. To me, the backrest really makes the back of the bike stand out. There is a Honda dealer in Toledo, Ohio, USA that is selling the OEM back rest & rear carrier on eBay slightly less than the Honda list price. This is where I purchased mine. $147.54 USD for the rear carrier and $244.99 USD for the back rest.
I too have the 14" Honda windscreen. If you do go with the 16" CeeBaileys, I would be interested to hear about your experience of going from the 14" to 16" and whether or not there's a noticeable difference.

· Registered
797 Posts
I have noticed an improvement with the Cee Bailey 16 compared to the Honda Tall. The difference seems to be more from the width than the height.

The Laminar Lip puts the Honda Tall back ahead of the Cee Bailey. If I ever get around to adding a lip to the Cee, I expect it to be about perfect for my size and shape.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again boys and sorry its taken a while to get back to you! i have had the 16" ins cee baileys fitted now and its much better than the 14" ins for me-turbulence wise- but not perfect-laminar lip next i think. I can see easily over the top, i am 5'11 and did get the dark tint.
Put on the rear carrier with backrest, looks great and easy to swing the leg over. By the way great service from CB order to delivery less than 2 weeks. Jim

· Registered
229 Posts
Laminar lip

Thanks again boys and sorry its taken a while to get back to you! i have had the 16" ins cee baileys fitted now and its much better than the 14" ins for me-turbulence wise- but not perfect-laminar lip next i think. I can see easily over the top, i am 5'11 and did get the dark tint.
Put on the rear carrier with backrest, looks great and easy to swing the leg over. By the way great service from CB order to delivery less than 2 weeks. Jim
Hi Jim,from Cornwall UK,I have just this week fitted a x-creen to my CTX it is fully adjustable and easy to fit,it directs the air to about 8 inches higher than the tall screen.
Not sure but is the laminar lip adjustable ?

· Registered
797 Posts
Not sure but is the laminar lip adjustable ?
The Laminar Lip is not adjustable. You have some choice about where you mount it. But once it's mounted, it's fixed. I have one on my Honda Tall screen and I'll have one for my Cee Bailey screen on Monday.

The Laminar Lip is a very simple stick-on solution for raising and smoothing the air flow.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guy's. I'll have a look at the x-creen as well as the laminar lip, however i think i have just about reached my limit height-wise and i noticed from images on the relevant sites that both appear to sit over the top height of the existing screen and would disrupt my 'line of sight' am i correct or can either be lowered to not do this? Does it even matter if i could see through them anyway?. i only need to get the air flow 2-3 ins above me now as while i hunch down that much its calm air!

· Registered
797 Posts
You wouldn't want to look through the Laminar Lip. It's curved enough to warp what you see.

I saw a bike once that had the Lip installed at the same height as the regular shield. I did not see the owner to ask him how well it worked. I think it would still provide smoothing, although I wouldn't expect it to lift the air much that way.

· Registered
412 Posts
If you get the X-Creen with the bolt-on and drill-through mounts, you'll be able to use to the bolt-on mounts to attach the foil to the top of your windshield, but then have longer arms that angle down so it winds up being aligned almost with or barely higher than the top of your screen.

I tried something like this, and it gave moderate improvement, but not enough for my particular case (I was having really nasty head turbulence with the honda tall screen).

Jeff

· Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Jim.
Check out GIVI tour/top trunks. They make one that is removable that I have and I love it. I leave it off unless riding two up or touring and need the extra space. It can be had with a passenger backrest. BUT CAN NOT be used with the Honda passenger backrest.
Stan (Stulburd2). You can check it. search GIVI.

· Registered
2 Posts
Jim...help please...I am a new CTX 1300 owner. Previously had noting but V-twin cruisers. Love the bike...need to hammer out the windshield issue, as I like riding with a 1/2 helmet if possible. I am 5'11". I want to look over the windshield but have the air directed over my short helmet. Based on your writings it sounds like the 14" won't be tall enough. I do like the added width of the Cee Bailey. I thought of having them make me a 15", which they will do, but should I just go straight to the 16" extra tall? Basically I want it as short as possible but still provide good protection. I don't like the "lip" idea and I don't like the way the vent looks. What's your take? Thanks.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi KPS, i would go straight to the 16 inch CB, i was a bit worried as i mentioned in my earlier comments but its worked out fine. its easy to see over and i ordered the darkest tinted one as well [but general do,nt ride at night] i still find it better than the Honda screen. As for the vent, this is my second CB with it and i really don't find much difference between air=flow with it fully closed or open and no difference with back pressure or turbulence but other people on this site may feel differently to me, bugs catch in the fitment as well. Personally i would,nt bother with the vent again.

Here in Australia the the rear rack does not come with the backrest, i,m pretty sure that its the case in North America as well!

I do not have photos with the backrest on but there are some on this forum somewhere but it looks great and really finishes off the bikes rear end nicely.

Welcome to the CTX 1300 WORLD mate! and good luck.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
Welcome KPS.
As Jim-Australia stated the backrest is a separate item from the rear carrier in all markets. I have the rear carrier but didn't want the backrest... at least for now. The link for the mounting instructions for the carrier, however, are only found in the link for the backrest. Not a biggie as long as you know that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.