CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a couple of rides since the Honda Touring Screen was installed and I am very pleased with it. It keeps the wind away and there is no turbulence around my head. It looks like I'm not going to need to try three different windscreens like I did on my NC700. One thing I did notice (although it may be my imagination) with the taller windscreen is that I lost a little speed going up a long grade. I seemed to climb over them with no effort with the 'shorty' screen, but the bike worked a little harder with the Touring screen. No big deal, just add a little more throttle or down shift. I am enjoying the CTX more and more every time I take it for a ride. Can't wait until I can take in on a long ride.

A couple of things I've noticed in comparison to my former NC700. One, I feel a lot more engine heat on the CTX. The cylinders were set so low on the NC you didn't get any engine heat to speak of. I don't know how this will play out as the weather gets warmer. Second, I get more wind up my pant legs. Since my leg was bent a little back on the NC I got no wind up the pant legs, now I do. Of course, this may be a good compensation to the the engine heat issue.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
I bet you really just didn't notice or hear the engine picking up more loading with the shorty installed as you would be more likely do with the taller screen. I think it's just an illusion. I didn't notice any difference going up hills after I added the tall screen. Of course, we don't have some of the "hills" you are more likely to have in Oregon.

The ST1300 owners have often reported a lot of heat coming off their engines. Same engine here BUT it's not covered up with all the plastic that the ST has around it so heat does escape a lot more. On hot days last summer I did feel some heat but it was really nothing compared with some other bikes I've been on. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Don't think it is an issue really. I do wear armoured mc over pants every ride so that will help there too.

· Registered
23 Posts
When I brought my new CTX home it had the Honda tall screen and I was excited that I was supposedly going to be riding "in the bubble". Instead I found that the top of my helmet was in about two inches of turbulence and the wind noise was pretty annoying. I found that when I lowered my head about one and a half to two inches all was quiet and the buffeting was gone. I figured that if I got the Cee Bailey 16" extra tall shield that my problem would be solved and I would surely be "in the bubble". After installing the Cee Bailey extra tall screen I was again disappointed since the buffeting was just as bad as with the Honda tall screen.

I know some of you are going to say to suck it up. It's a motorcycle for god sake and it's going to be windy. The thing is, I got a CTX because I wanted to ride a smooth quiet bike that didn't buffet my helmet and that's why I got the tall screen in the first place. I guess my problem is that I'm too tall (6'2") for the tallest screen and I don't want to have to ride hunched over so I can stay in the clear air.

Does anyone have a solution for my problem? Would a laminar lip or some other add-on be a solution, or am I stuck with a buffeted helmet?

· Registered
2,179 Posts
When I brought my new CTX home it had the Honda tall screen and I was excited that I was supposedly going to be riding "in the bubble". Instead I found that the top of my helmet was in about two inches of turbulence and the wind noise was pretty annoying. I found that when I lowered my head about one and a half to two inches all was quiet and the buffeting was gone. I figured that if I got the Cee Bailey 16" extra tall shield that my problem would be solved and I would surely be "in the bubble". After installing the Cee Bailey extra tall screen I was again disappointed since the buffeting was just as bad as with the Honda tall screen.

I know some of you are going to say to suck it up. It's a motorcycle for god sake and it's going to be windy. The thing is, I got a CTX because I wanted to ride a smooth quiet bike that didn't buffet my helmet and that's why I got the tall screen in the first place. I guess my problem is that I'm too tall (6'2") for the tallest screen and I don't want to have to ride hunched over so I can stay in the clear air.

Does anyone have a solution for my problem? Would a laminar lip or some other add-on be a solution, or am I stuck with a buffeted helmet?
No, you don't need to just suck it up. You're supposed to ride because you enjoy it; and if something is causing you to not enjoy it, then either fix it, or what's the point.

I'd suggest trying a different helmet. There are a few sites that review and rate the top helmets in a bunch of different categories, including wind noise and buffeting. You might have to pay a few $$$ more, but it can make a huge difference. I searched and researched for a long time before deciding on a HJC RPHA Max. It was more than I'd ever spent on a helmet (I never cheaped out, but I never went all-out, either), and it was definitely worth the extra cost for comfort and quiet. There are tons of options now, and the technology is constantly improving.

· Premium Member
907 Posts
I bet you really just didn't notice or hear the engine picking up more loading with the shorty installed as you would be more likely do with the taller screen. I think it's just an illusion. I didn't notice any difference going up hills after I added the tall screen.
I second this. I was actually very pleased to hear more engine noise with the taller windwhield. :) I haven't noticed any lack of power with the taller shield, but it "feels" ... maybe edgier is the word... with the shorter shield?

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts

Another option if you don't want a different helmet (though that is a very good option to consider) is the laminar lip or also consider the MRA X-creen spoiler like THIS one. There are one or two other members here who have one of these on their shields. Comes as bolt on or clamp on versions.

Personally (and it IS really a personal thing for every rider) I think the air stream passing me on this bike is one of the smoothest air streams of any bike I've ridden. Of course I get a little "buffeting" from passing 18 wheelers, but nothing like on other bikes. Sure, I feel air pressure but not buffeting (back and forth constant pushing around from all directions other than just straight from the front). I like the air stream to hit just at my forehead so the top vents on my helmet work as they should. I have the Honda tall screen and that's where the wind hits so it's perfect for me. I like seeing over the screen. On my GL1500 I had a tall Tulsa screen that was well over my head and I looked through the screen. Never again. The X-creen should get the air over your helmet and still let you see the road over it without the obstruction of a dirty shield.

· Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'd have a hard time justifying another helmet since I just bought a new Arai Signet Q last October. It's definitely quieter than the HJC I started with but still not quiet enough. After reading more about the X-creen I think I'll give that a try. There were several reviews on the Twisted Throttle web site praising its effectiveness. I'll let you know how it works when it shows up.

· Registered
33 Posts
Will B, we are almost neighbors. I live right near Peace Arch border on the Canada side. We have already ridden my new CTX in your area. Huge gusting cross winds on I5 one day. Chukanut dr was way nicer.
I am 6', can see over the shield, and have a smooth quiet experience, if I don't sit bolt up straight. I don't usually anyway as it gives me a sore back. Sit up straight and I get the noise you say.
My wife keeps telling me this bike gives her more wind than my old VTX1300 with Honda OEM tall shield. So I 2 upped my son who has his own bikes to see if he could explain her issue to me better. he says it is just buffeting type turbulence. Not a wind pressure issue. I do think I should try to solve the problem for her though. If she complains I will have to ride solo........
Wait a minute, more room for camping gear. :)

· Registered
279 Posts
I have owned I think 4 GIVI screens and they are very tall
they were pretty nice. I see they do make one for the ctx1300
pic looks taller and wider then any others I have seen.
check it out it may help
not that anyone wants a bunch of screens laying around

· Registered
23 Posts
I attached the "X-creen Tour" bolt on air foil to the top of my Cee Bailey tall screen a couple days ago and took a pretty good ride with it. The turbulence problem is mostly eliminated and I can ride with my visor up without much problem if I need more ventilation. Only problem now is that the X-creen is just below my line of sight at its lowest position. If I raise it even a little bit I am forced to look through it, and its not exactly optically perfect and it distorts the landscape more than I think is acceptable. Luckily, its lowest setting seems to work pretty well.

I'm thinking if it really starts to bug me I'll put the X-creen on my Honda tall shield to see if that works any better. Can't say I'm looking forward to taking the plastic off yet again to do more experimentation but I guess that's the price you pay for the perfect bike.

Attachments

· Premium Member
300 Posts
Hi, my first post from Sydney Australia. For the last few days I have been researching screens on the CTX1300. I picked up my new bike last week with the taller Honda screen and did my first country run a few days ago. I am in love with the bike but did not like the bugs on the visor or helmet buffering. I see a few older posts where the Cee Baily 16" screen was fitted without too much difference. Has anyone fitted one recently? I prefer the full fixed screen rather than the open adjustable style so I want to make sure the new screen will work. My wife also commented on a short coffee ride on Sunday that on the freeway that she was copping wind on her shoulders and helmet far worse than on the back of the VTX1300 for the past 7 years. So, happy wife happy life, I need a different screen option. I could always see over the VTX screen but feel like the original Honda at 14" on the new CTX is a fraction low. Look forward to your comments. Cheers Roger.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
@Rp007,
How tall are you and the wife? That could make a big difference in answers from other folks that are in the upper atmosphere.
I'm 5'10 (1.78m) and the wife is lots shorter. We get nothing behind the Honda tall screen. From the description of your problem, I'm guessing you are taller.

· Premium Member
300 Posts
Hi Larry, I'm 5' 10" and my wife is 5' 8" .... the main problem is that the helmet noise is incredible. at the higher speeds (110-115K - say 70mph) . If I drop my head a few inches I get no noise at all so clearly there is a slip stream over the screen. I was just interested to see if anyone had fitted the Cee Bailey 16", there was only one comment on the forum and the rider said it made no difference to the Honda 14". I really want to avoid the adjustable screen as I prefer the cleaner look of the solid screens. Hopefully someone can offer some advice. Also as a new member I was not sure if I should start a new thread or tack on the end of this one.

· Premium Member
97 Posts
@Rp007
I, too, am a 5'10" rider and ordered my CTX with the tall Honda screen. I was disappointed with the quantity of stuff (bugs and the like) getting past the screen and nailing me somewhere around the head and helmet. I ride with my Shoei open most of the time. I installed the 16" Cee Bailey and bug situation improved significantly. The Cee Bailey is both taller and wider and the only bugs I have a problem with now seem to get by on occasions when there is a strong side wind. I feel the aftermarket Cee Bailey was a good investment and wouldn't want to switch back.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
Ok, you 2 are shorties like me (less than 6'). But your torso may be longer. The air on the Honda Tall screen hits on the top of my helmet. Also, after getting my Corbin, it now goes over my helmet.
I'm no expert (just a pert according to my wife) but the Cee Bailey or Givi are solid windscreens (your cosmetic preference) and should do the job.
The Givi is 20" tall and 25" wide, but doesn't have the vents for backpressure.
The Cee Bailey has the Gold Wing type vent in the shield which can make a difference on the back pressure and rain/bugs sucked in behind the shield.
Some riders claim the non-vent shields create more buffeting by not reducing the pressure behind the screen.

Having said that, if you don't have bugs in your teeth, how can others know if you were happy while riding?

· Premium Member
300 Posts
Thanks, you shoul be an honoury Australian with that sense of humour...!! We spell differently Downunder also so you may note typos. I'll order the Cee Baily with the vent but I'll check with them first to make sure they are not thinking about a 17" model. Clearly you will easily be able to look over the screen. Thanks for your help.

· Registered
41 Posts
I had the same issue with my Honda tall screen. Got a MRA x-screen and it is a HUGE difference. I am 5-11 but I keep it in the lowest position and it does fine. I am using the clamp mount not the bolt on.

On the interstate I adjust it a couple inches higher- works wonders.

· Registered
412 Posts
Thanks, you shoul be an honoury Australian with that sense of humour...!! We spell differently Downunder also so you may note typos. I'll order the Cee Baily with the vent but I'll check with them first to make sure they are not thinking about a 17" model. Clearly you will easily be able to look over the screen. Thanks for your help.
The only 17" shield for this bike I've seen is made by Madstad. There are some older threads where some had discussed the smaller Madstad screen, but I've never seen a picture or heard a report from someone with the 17" variation.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.