CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am from New York . I have been riding for about 20 years or so. I have a CtX 1300 D Black. I am interested in knowing about up grades and weather or not they were worth doing.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome @Love2Ride!

I haven't done many "up grades" or farkles since I feel this bike is so well fitted from the factory. Just a few minor things I think are important. Like a Gerbing heated gloves controller (I ride in cold weather, like well below zero*F sometimes), and a GPS power connection to find my way back when I go get lost somewhere, and a 12v power socket in the saddlebag to recharge my cell when I've been out too long, and a loud horn since I like to be heard if not seen. Other things I am considering but haven't decided for sure if they are worth doing for me. Everyone is different and has different wants and needs. check out the forums in the CTX1300 Tech section for many ideas that have been added to the CTX and read about what works for different folks here. :)
edit: forgot to mention I did put on the tall shield as the shorty came stock on mine. I don't feel the tall is required for longer (or colder) rides but it does make it much more comfortable. I may yet put the shorty on for during summer riding.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@Love2Ride,
Congrats on the new ride....Black D is a great choice!!!!!:smileygarden_de_ban
Tall windshield, accessory plug, top case, and new grips.
I made some hand guards out of plexi glass as I don't need (in Alabama) the extra heat like @bob does.
The one upgrade you may (or not) be most interested in is the front suspension fix.
You can read about it here and here.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The windshield is an absolute must. Im reading about the CTX700 mirrors and that seems like a good thing for us urban folks .
I gave up on the stock tire after one fall and a few "unhappy dances" on hard braking . I was also on eggshells with what we can call "the suspension issue" ... ( BTW look for fork oil "fix" posted on this site... I hear it really helps ) .
When my front tire was damaged ( funny story, in a horror novel way, Il tell it later ) I replaced mine with a dunlop elite ( basic, cheap, does its job ) and no problems since... there is a lot of brakes on this bike!
The Bluetooth sound option may be a good GPS interface since it will ramp up and down with traffic and has better sound (?) with interface for iphone etc and controlls on the bike. but that's $800+ (?)
I paid $5 for venturi tubes at autozone. There are alot of deer in my area, and these help keep them from jumping in front of me.

and... of course... a cover .

Happy riding!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I paid $5 for venturi tubes at autozone. There are alot of deer in my area, and these help keep them from jumping in front of me.
What's that item you're talking about? "Venturi tube" is not turning up anything in my searches.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What's that item you're talking about? "Venturi tube" is not turning up anything in my searches.

Jeff
If you search for "deer alert" on autozone website, that is what he is talking about.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Look up "deer whistles" and you'll find results.
LOTS of controversy about if they even work. I've read of riders who put them on a claim no more contact with deer... and then some of those claim they really didn't have any sightings before either but they must be working since they haven't since putting them on. Others I've read about, at least one on the ST forums, stated they had no problems with deer sightings until they did put them on, then lots of sightings. I don't go for those since they produce a sound way beyond what people can hear and I've read that deer have basically the same hearing range as we do. The real issue here is that they do hear noise that isn't normal for where they are and with bigger ears that can be aimed they are better at zeroing in on sounds. The same sounds we are able to hear if we're really listening.
See this report with some research done.

I just see those whistles as decoration that I don't need. My air horn is plenty of non-standard noise to spook them... and works fine as long as they spook in the right direction. Being alert while riding is the best way to avoid an animal encounters.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Look up "deer whistles" and you'll find results.
LOTS of controversy about if they even work.
Yup. first, "you cant prove prevention" so 'studies' really aren't very helpful in practice... same for first hand observation. As well, high pitch sound wont travel far anyway especially forward. But when a deer is right in front of me, if it even gives me 1/10 of a second hesitation from a deer, thats 1/10 of a second I can get to my break... and thats worth 5 bucks.

I ride through heavy deer traffic all the time, and dont get the sudden bolt in front of me anymore... but I still have a lot of skepticism on why that is.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Deer whistles are total quackery.

When deer are spooked they tend to act randomly. The deer seem just as likely to jump into your path as away from your path.

Most deer whistles I've seen are packed with bugs and dirt after just a few hundred miles. At that point they don't make any noise.

If the whistles make you feel more confident, they will help you ride a bit better. But the effect is entirely psychological.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Deer whistles are total quackery.

When deer are spooked they tend to act randomly. The deer seem just as likely to jump into your path as away from your path.

Most deer whistles I've seen are packed with bugs and dirt after just a few hundred miles. At that point they don't make any noise.

If the whistles make you feel more confident, they will help you ride a bit better. But the effect is entirely psychological.
I disagree. Primarily because there seems to be just as little data to conclude ineffectiveness as there is effectiveness. its not a certainty either way. But there is some noise generated by the devices (above 30 mph), thats been tested,interestingly, its a question if deer can even hear that range of sound, that has been tested also.

Animals dont act "randomly" at all. Also, there arent alot of scientific studies proving much, mostly ecause of the "black swan" principle that you cant prove what you cant "not" observe.
However, insurance companies, state police and wildlife programs, and several other organizations have done statistical accident studies that (often) show significant results .
Not science, and im skeptical iether way... but the few studies ( some with thousands of installed devices ) show some effectiveness.

alot o people in Colorado use them and swear by them. I had deer jump in front of me often , and they don't anymore... thats not any proof any anything except that im not taking my $5.00 screaming doodads off until a study tells me they dont work. .

here is a summary of a couple studies
http://www.deercrash.org/toolbox/CMToolboxWhistles.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone . I have been busy over the holidays so I've been away from my computer. I have just added clearwater lights to my bike mounted to from fender. and a tire monitoring system . when I can figure out how to post photos I will.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Plus research by several more rural Police deaprtments have found that the wind powered deer alerts made absolutely no difference in the number and frequency of deer strikes.. There is some ( MINOR) speculation about the electronic alerts. But Like the other poster stated. the very High frequency sounds supposedly produced by these alerts do NOT travel well forward..Thats why emergency vehicles have the option to switch to deeper tones and some of the most modern agencies are installing the RUMBLERS in the front end of the squad cars to push a more noticeable sound forward at intersections,, BUT even that has severe limitations to speed approaching an intersection.. It only works a tad better than the myth of loud pipes scenario

1 - 14 of 14 Posts