CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know. Borders on "Tell me something I didn't Know" But on my ride in this morning the CTX showed a new display that surprised me. It was 34 F this morning and the bike thought I needed to know it was cold out. Dhooo! Of course the heated grips are doing some work too. :confused:

So for all you lucky guys living in warm regions, here is what the display looks like when it drops below 38 F.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
My car does this too -- flashes up a warning when the outside temp gets below 38°. Good to know I guess if the temp is dropping in the middle of a trip.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The reason why though!
Black ice!
Black ice tends to form in shadows relatively easy at temps below 38/37F. That is why cars (and most likely the bike) give a warning.
Just be aware, ride safe, and have fun!

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
The reason why though!
Black ice!
Black ice tends to form in shadows relatively easy at temps below 38/37F. That is why cars (and most likely the bike) give a warning.
Just be aware, ride safe, and have fun!
This is true. My Burgman would give an Ice on Road warning at anything approaching 35*F or below. Of course I already knew the road conditions before starting out and ignored such redundant messages.

Another point is that the documentation on the temp sensor indicates it is the same as the ST1300 sensor... it will read a temp down to 14*F and then go to a few dashes in place of the temp. I usually carry my own small temp device, an indoor/outdoor digital meter set on outdoor only and with a shortened sensor probe wire. Has worked well for me to compete in the ST forums Coldest Ride Contest for the last 4 years. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I should know this...but does the warning come on as a default or only when you have temperature selected to display?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I should know this...but does the warning come on as a default or only when you have temperature selected to display?
it comes on when that ambient temp is detected.

I've had that feature on a few previous bikes - it triggers at 37F.
It usually just displays a big snowflake - this bike gives you a pretty stout verbal display that's tough to miss

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Just to elaborate a bit on what @blakebird said...
The warning comes on at 37°F and stays on until you manually select a different setting on the lower part of the Select button. Then it will return to the display you were on just prior to the warning and you can cycle through as normal. It is as if to remain there until you acknowledge it.

Had it show this morning as I left home on my way to work and the sensor dropped to the actual temp outside the garage after I backed the bike out. Temp in the garage was 57°F, and at home outside the garage was 32°F and temp at work, 16 minutes and 12.5 miles later, was 33°F. Maybe time to connect my heated gloves for when it drops below that. I usually don't need electric heat until it gets below freezing. My gear works fine passively on its own until then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts