CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CTX1300

A friend found this online and sent it to me. Looks like a neat windshield. They don't have any measurements there yet, I would hope it is taller than Hondas tall shield. I'm only 5'8 and could easily use a couple more inches on the Honda shield.

·
Registered
361 Posts
madstad shield

Hi laurie, I have the Madstad shield clear, 15", on my CTX1300. I'm 6ft., 32" inseam. Best shield I've ever had!!!!! I can fine tune the airflow on my helmet with the adjustability of the shield. No vacume pushing you forward. Installation is easy,just follow instructions for installation of Honda tall shield listed on other threads. One exception!!!!!! Do not use the rubber well nuts to attach the aluminum cowl to the frame. Use the original screws with large dia. washers and nylock nuts. Use the rubber well nuts to attatch the windshield to the Madstad brackets. All this hardware is available at ACE hardware.Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trusting your post I have ordered Madstad shield 16" light gray today. The original Honda shield is not shipping right now. Have been waiting for 3 weeks now and today the delivery day is to be announced.

·
Registered
764 Posts
My MadStad shield is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and the red bike is scheduled for the 600 mile service the next day. I'm thinking I'll just let the mechanic change the shield when he changes the oil.

I had hoped to keep the red bike in stock form for a while, but the gale force wind is a bit of a nuisance after an hour or so on the bike. The guys at work think the stock red bike looks a lot better than the farkled up blue bike. But I'm more interested in how it works than how it looks.

Flytrap had posted some good pictures of the MadStad screen. I really like the way the mount is adjustable for height and angle.

http://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/appearance-body/4514-madstad-me.html

·
Registered
283 Posts
Since my original post about the Madstad screen I did play around quite a bit with various settings. I currently have it all the way up and this works pretty well. However, if you tilt it back more there is clearly less interaction with the wind and you don't get blown around when following cars. someone posted earlier that Madstad is redesigning the shape of the screen to better fit the bike. I'd like to see a pic if that is the case. I'll say again: this screen works better the faster you go.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My last bike, a Triumph Tiger 800, had a buffeting issue that the Madstad screen solved beautifully. I bought the CTX despite disliking the gale force wind over the shorty windscreen because I knew a Madstad screen was on the way. I've since installed one. In both cases the bike was completely transformed. Btw, following Bob's instructions on installing the Honda tall windshield greatly simplifies the install of the Madstad screen. It's all about simplifying access to the mounting points.

·
Registered
764 Posts
My shield just arrived. If the rain clears out after work, I'll install it and take it for a ride tonight.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Since my original post about the Madstad screen I did play around quite a bit with various settings. I currently have it all the way up and this works pretty well. However, if you tilt it back more there is clearly less interaction with the wind and you don't get blown around when following cars. someone posted earlier that Madstad is redesigning the shape of the screen to better fit the bike. I'd like to see a pic if that is the case. I'll say again: this screen works better the faster you go.

That was me and I just got it installed today. It was a 40 mile ride home and it worked very well. Looks great too. I'll post pics in a day or two.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Since my original post about the Madstad screen I did play around quite a bit with various settings. I currently have it all the way up and this works pretty well. However, if you tilt it back more there is clearly less interaction with the wind and you don't get blown around when following cars.
Near the end of my recent 9-day Utah National Park tour, during which I got baked pretty good, I discovered that hot air was blowing up onto my chin. I had the Madstad screen set such that the air was very calm in front of me, but apparently that setting encouraged the hot air chin blast. I pulled over, lowered the screen a bit and angled it towards me slightly, and could feel a dramatic improvement. Just one more thing to consider when finding your setting.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I was too busy at work the past couple of days to call MadStad about the base plate. When I got home tonight, I found a properly sized log in the woods and bent the plate over the log. It's not perfectly symmetrical, but it works.

I rode around a bit to adjust the position. I won't really know which position I like best for a couple of days.

CTX1300D - TennesseeSmith

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Trusting your post I have ordered Madstad shield 16" light gray today. The original Honda shield is not shipping right now. Have been waiting for 3 weeks now and today the delivery day is to be announced.
Just read your post here. I'm surprised you were told the Honda shield wasn't shipping yet. I received mine by mid May! The shields ARE shipping. Possibly on BO at the time your dealer looked but they ARE out. Hope the Madstad shield works for you. But if your dealer tells you something isn't out yet then check with the dealer I bought from (as a number of members here have already). Look at the messages in my profile for contact info (click on my name on the left). They have accurate information about availability and seem to be able to get things for this bike when other dealers around the country seem to be unable to even find them.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
That was me and I just got it installed today. It was a 40 mile ride home and it worked very well. Looks great too. I'll post pics in a day or two.
I just posted two pictures of the new Madstad windshield to my album. They are the first two pictures in the album. Please excuse the lighting in my garage. The first picture shows the angle of the windshield. It's important to note that Madstad says that the optimum angle is 60 degrees (or 30 depending on how you are viewing the angle). They say that this is the best angle for minimizing the vacuum that causes turbulence. You can get a free "angle finder" app for the iphone to set your windshield.

The second picture shows the windshield from the front. If you compare it to my other pictures you'll see that the bottom of the windshield is a lot higher relative to the fairing than the other one. Again, this was to minimize turbulence. They also angled the left and right edges of the bottom to produce a better look.

It's hard for me to review it at this point. I rode it home from Madstad on Monday, but the whole forty miles was very stormy and windy and it was impossible to evaluate the windshield. I'll be riding later today and tomorrow and I'll post an update.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info. My location is Vancouver Canada. I just got it yesterday after 4 weeks delay. And I am happy with it...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll post tomorrow the pics of my french windshield I installed today. It is elegant, well designed and built, really efficient. With the standard Honda micro windshield, I have to visor down my BMW Airflow2 helmet above 50 ml/h, with the new one I don't have to, regardless the speed (100 ml/h today).

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
NICE! Thanks for posting the pics, Ledany! Maybe similar options will be available in other areas soon.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Just posted two better pics of the newly designed Madstad. I also have about 100 miles on it now. It works just as well as the first one, but the shape looks better with the bike. I'm sure the tall Honda shield works fine, but I have no regrets about the Madstad. The ability to adjust height and cant are a big plus for me.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
128 Posts
Adjustability will be especially nice on this bike - one setting for summer and another one for winter.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just posted two better pics of the newly designed Madstad. I also have about 100 miles on it now. It works just as well as the first one, but the shape looks better with the bike. I'm sure the tall Honda shield works fine, but I have no regrets about the Madstad. The ability to adjust height and cant are a big plus for me.
Where is pic post? I'd like to see the new design. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have owned a several Bikes that I had put Madstad shield Systems on.

I stared ordering the shields two inches longer, so you have one inch longer at the top and one inch longer at the bottom.

Because I asked Mark to center the mounting holes so the extra two inches would be centered in the shield.

I do this so if i ever get caught out in some rain that becomes a little heavier I can make a adjustment all the way up.

Also Good for COLD Weather.

In summer it goes all the way down.

I usually mark the Robo brackets with a silver sharpie,
so I can find the Height position and Tilt, and Depth very quickly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts