CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pondering selling my CTX to a neighbor friend, and he's beating me up on what he says are needed maintenance. I bought mine brand new in 2017, and as of today it has maybe 800 miles on it. It has been stored in my carport with a battery tender and a cover all its life and I have taken excellent care of it. It has had its initial maintenance at the dealer at 600 miles.

My friend is wanting to pay FAR less than what the market will bear. Mine is the Deluxe version and has a luggage rack, center stand, bag inserts, bag guards and a pigtail. Everywhere I look on Cycle Trader, these bikes are going for $8999 with many more miles than mine and fewer accessories. I intend to start at $8700 and come down as low as $8,000. I offered it to my friend for $7700. He only wants to give me $6600, and here is his rationale.

One, he feels it now needs a new air cleaner. After only 800 miles, I HARDLY think so. It's not like they go bad over time.

Two, he feels the coolant needs to be replaced. That, I might concede.

Three, he feels the hydraulic fluids need to be replaced. But the brakes and clutch both work fine.

Four, he feels it needs a new battery at this point. Yet the bike starts easily and all the electrical parts work fine.

And he feels it needs new tires. I suppose one could make the argument that they're too old and should be replaced, but visually they are FINE with no dry rot, and I have ZERO fear of riding on them.

I'm assuming the fluids and battery were not installed on the bike until just prior to sale, rather than when it was manufactured in 2014.

Am I wrong in refusing this deal, or is he being completely unrealistic in his negotiation? I feel the latter, and told him there'd be no deal since I was already offering it to the general public at well below market, and to him even less so.

Thanks for your replies.

Richmonder

Reactions: BravoBravo

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello Richmonder,

When it comes to our beloved CTX market value, retail value, actual value, asking price & selling price can vary greatly. Example: Recently two dealers in NH have/ had listings for CTX's. A red dlx with many of the same items your bike has plus a few other items. A little over 7.5k miles with an asking price of $8999. Currently that listing is 28 days old via NH Craigslist. The other listing was a blk base model with 12.5k miles & a couple of accessories. A tall windscreen & backrest for $6999. That bike sold in less than a week. This example would seem to suggest that $8999 is too high of a starting price IF the seller really wants to see the bike go.

Assuming when the fluids were added can be a guess at best. Did Honda run the bike briefly following assembly for quality control purposes? Some dealers prep bikes as soon as they get them. Others prep one for the showroom, then prep inventory as it sells. So it's not unreasonable to assume the fluids & battery are as old as the bike regardless of mileage. If you were buying the bike what would you expect? Tires & air filter might be wishful thinking from the buyers perspective. But basic fluid maintenance shouldn't be a sticking point. Especially if helps sell the bike in a timely manner.

All that being said I think $6600 is a low price considering the mileage. Sounds like your friend is looking for a handout.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Brake & clutch fluids NEED to be changed every 2 years. Coolant - meh. Air filter - book calls for 16K (I think). Mine looked great at 19K despite riding in quite a bit of rain and dusty conditions. Plan my next one at 25K. Only caveat to this is whether you see any signs of possible mice infestation (footprints,etc).

Like @Arnzinator, I believe he’s trying to get you to give it to him. If I was 1,200 miles closer to you, I’d be highly interested in it!!

Reactions: BravoBravo

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. My friend hinted last summer that he was very interested and I told him I'd hold it for him, under the assumption he knew its value, but then this spring, he came up with every excuse in the book not to buy it. Doesn't like black, doesn't want a stereo, old fluids, you name it. And he low balls every seller he contacts in hopes they'll cave. I can afford to wait a while, so I am NOT caving. I'm willing to drop to $8,000 to enable someone who feels the fluids must be changed to change them, but I don't think they need it that badly. He can pound sand!

Richmonder

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm pondering selling my CTX to a neighbor friend, and he's beating me up on what he says are needed maintenance. I bought mine brand new in 2017, and as of today it has maybe 800 miles on it. It has been stored in my carport with a battery tender and a cover all its life and I have taken excellent care of it. It has had its initial maintenance at the dealer at 600 miles.

My friend is wanting to pay FAR less than what the market will bear. Mine is the Deluxe version and has a luggage rack, center stand, bag inserts, bag guards and a pigtail. Everywhere I look on Cycle Trader, these bikes are going for $8999 with many more miles than mine and fewer accessories. I intend to start at $8700 and come down as low as $8,000. I offered it to my friend for $7700. He only wants to give me $6600, and here is his rationale.

One, he feels it now needs a new air cleaner. After only 800 miles, I HARDLY think so. It's not like they go bad over time.

Three, he feels the hydraulic fluids need to be replaced. But the brakes and clutch both work fine.

Four, he feels it needs a new battery at this point. Yet the bike starts easily and all the electrical parts work fine.

And he feels it needs new tires. I suppose one could make the argument that they're too old and should be replaced, but visually they are FINE with no dry rot, and I have ZERO fear of riding on them.

I'm assuming the fluids and battery were not installed on the bike until just prior to sale, rather than when it was manufactured in 2014.

Am I wrong in refusing this deal, or is he being completely unrealistic in his negotiation? I feel the latter, and told him there'd be no deal since I was already offering it to the general public at well below market, and to him even less so.

Thanks for your replies.

Richmonder
Doesn't sound like any kind of friend! Sounds to me he should look elsewhere for a bike.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thank you guys. My friend hinted last summer that he was very interested and I told him I'd hold it for him, under the assumption he knew its value, but then this spring, he came up with every excuse in the book not to buy it. Doesn't like black, doesn't want a stereo, old fluids, you name it. And he low balls every seller he contacts in hopes they'll cave. I can afford to wait a while, so I am NOT caving. I'm willing to drop to $8,000 to enable someone who feels the fluids must be changed to change them, but I don't think they need it that badly. He can pound sand!

Richmonder
Yeah, your “friend” is seriously lowballing you. As they say, with friends like that, who needs enemies?

Bruce

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, your “friend” is seriously lowballing you. As they say, with friends like that, who needs enemies?

Bruce
It absolutely stuns me that he has tried to do this to me. But he does it with every bike seller he sees, trying to get the ultimate deal. And he "apologizes" to them right off the bat in his initial contact, knowing he's insulting them! But he didn't do it with me. Absolutely shameless. His latest one was a Honda CB1100 someone was selling for $6500 and he "apologized" for offering them $5600. The guy is meeting him for lunch today. Crazy.

He also told me mine will be hard to sell because it was only made for a year and there wasn't much interest. I highly doubt it will be hard to sell. We'll see!

Thanks everyone.

Richmonder

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
It might take a little longer than some bikes to sell... BUT it won't take longer than others. I know, that sounds like a pat answer but it's true.
It only takes ONE buyer who wants it and will pay the asking price. Be patient and that buyer will come along.
From watching this model over the last 6 years I found it is not any different being a one year bike than many others that are still in production after many years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try to sell it - at the price you consider fair - somebody might buy it, after all, most people here in this forum have bought one. Advertise it in facebook marketplace, craigslist, cycle trader, here in the forum. Check also dealers, see how much they give you.
It might take a bit of time but it will sell.
Then make a decision if you want to get that low of a price and sell or take a bit more time and get more.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks for your replies.

Richmonder
Don't sell the bike to your neighbor at $6600. A range of $8K-$9K is the going price for these rare bikes. I bought my black Deluxe a year ago with 900 miles on it for $8K and then shortly after had to put tires on it because I saw cracking inside the tread. I did not change the air filter or the hydraulic fluids, though had the oil changed with Honda synthetic. Just put a battery in it too as it was cranking slow. It now has more than 6K miles on it and runs great. Your friend is being unrealistic in his negotiation.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Indeed he is. Thanks. I have come to realize he does this with any vehicle he tries to buy. RIght now he is trying to buy both a car and a bike, and he lowballs every seller. He is so frustrated that he's not making a deal, and I have to bite my tongue and hold in my thoughts that he has ridiculously high expectations. The world does not exist for his benefit. Nor do I!

Richmonder

·
Registered
43 Posts

Thanks for your replies.

Richmonder
I agree with the brake fluid and clutch fluid needs to be changed but the coolant and air filter are fine. Unless you have a rodent problem and see evidence of rodent droppings under the bike. Rodents normally go after the wires so if everything electrical works, no concerns. In regards to the tires, they are good for at least ten years from the date of manufacture. Even longer if the bike has been stored in a garage. Every tire has a date code cast into the tire on one side near the wheel. It will be four numbers like 1214. This tells you that the tires where made during the 12th week of 2014. Because this is 2021, I doubt that they are over 10 years old so the original tires are good to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I financed my bike for $9,999, it is the deluxe 3K miles and it had none of the extras, original wind screen, no bags.
I regret paying as much as I did, I put 4k down and got shafted with an 8% interest rate (I'm young and I don't have much credit history)
But after I test rode the bike I just fell in love. What's unique to this bike IMO is the power band, when you twist the throttle its ON! all the way to 6k....

Your friend sounds like he just wanted a good deal...

P.S. I have 11k miles and have done none of the maintenance described by others and am on the original tires and battery!
(I ordered tires but it looks like I have maintenance to do lol!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts