CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's raining again here in Southern California. Getting a very small taste of not being able to ride when I want to, but not complaining. So far the weather for me has just been wet and cold and has not caused any damage. Very fortunate. I did manage to get out on a beautiful sunny presidents day and zig zag around some favorite roads for a couple hundred miles. Had an awesome burrito for lunch I might add...it reminded me of the zz top tres hombres album:cool:. The CTX behaved perfectly - what a great bike. I also met the motorcycle guys for breakfast this past weekend, and they picked our alternate lowland cafe, I thought for an easier ride on the wet roads. It was wet and 34F (7am) and my CTX was the only bike there as they all wussied out and drove their heated cages. That was a great ride too, although there was some mud in spots.

I am still waiting for the Moto Guzzi Mandello I have on order. Dealer is saying they got word they are receiving in a couple weeks. We'll see. The bad weather (and a great current bike) has helped my patience but I hope we dry out when it arrives! I have been planning the first 2 nighter for early spring but I see roads on the routes are getting washed out.

The CTX released 9 years ago and I got mine new 7 years ago. Where does the time go?! The thread about buying clutch parts "just in case" triggered a realization that the forum still is not full of threads on major issues and repairs. Broken tabs and perhaps the high idle, but everything else is mostly maintenance and elective mods. A testimate to the quality and reliability of the CTX.

Looks like the rain is letting up...time to go outside!

· Registered
1 Posts
It's raining again here in Southern California. Getting a very small taste of not being able to ride when I want to, but not complaining. So far the weather for me has just been wet and cold and has not caused any damage. Very fortunate. I did manage to get out on a beautiful sunny presidents day and zig zag around some favorite roads for a couple hundred miles. Had an awesome burrito for lunch I might add...it reminded me of the zz top tres hombres album:cool:. The CTX behaved perfectly - what a great bike. I also met the motorcycle guys for breakfast this past weekend, and they picked our alternate lowland cafe, I thought for an easier ride on the wet roads. It was wet and 34F (7am) and my CTX was the only bike there as they all wussied out and drove their heated cages. That was a great ride too, although there was some mud in spots. I am still waiting for the Moto Guzzi Mandello I have on order. Dealer is saying they got word they are receiving in a couple weeks. We'll see. The bad weather (and a great current bike) has helped my patience but I hope we dry out when it arrives! I have been planning the first 2 nighter for early spring but I see roads on the routes are getting washed out. The CTX released 9 years ago and I got mine new 7 years ago. Where does the time go?! The thread about buying clutch parts "just in case" triggered a realization that the forum still is not full of threads on major issues and repairs. Broken tabs and perhaps the high idle, but everything else is mostly maintenance and elective mods. A testimate to the quality and reliability of the CTX. Looks like the rain is letting up...time to go outside!
Great courage to be out in that stuff! We Canadians shut it down at 10 Celsius and have to wait 4-5 months to ride again. I’d love to get my hands on a ctx 1300 deluxe but can’t find any. My new to me 98 shadow ace tourer is also still going strong but I long for more touring friendly modern that’s not a goldwing. You’re lucky! Nick

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,140 Posts
I know a few Canadians who ride in temps below zeroC. Some of them ride the ST1300 or are on that forum participating in the Coldest Ride Contest. I'd be beside myself if I couldn't ride for more than 3-4 weeks. When I was commuting to work there were days when the temps were in the low 30sF and rain when I would still ride. Though that was usually touch and go since there is a high chance for ice on the road in those conditions.

· Registered
262 Posts
Good job Stirling! I still haven't dug my CTX out of the garage yet, I started it in the garage and let it warm up then shut it off a couple of weeks ago.
Got the DRZ400SM out and rode it around and to work a couple of times for the first ride of the year.
Looking forward to the riding season! Planning a tail of the dragon trip this year!

· Registered
262 Posts
It's raining again here in Southern California. Getting a very small taste of not being able to ride when I want to, but not complaining. So far the weather for me has just been wet and cold and has not caused any damage. Very fortunate. I did manage to get out on a beautiful sunny presidents day and zig zag around some favorite roads for a couple hundred miles. Had an awesome burrito for lunch I might add...it reminded me of the zz top tres hombres album:cool:. The CTX behaved perfectly - what a great bike. I also met the motorcycle guys for breakfast this past weekend, and they picked our alternate lowland cafe, I thought for an easier ride on the wet roads. It was wet and 34F (7am) and my CTX was the only bike there as they all wussied out and drove their heated cages. That was a great ride too, although there was some mud in spots.

I am still waiting for the Moto Guzzi Mandello I have on order. Dealer is saying they got word they are receiving in a couple weeks. We'll see. The bad weather (and a great current bike) has helped my patience but I hope we dry out when it arrives! I have been planning the first 2 nighter for early spring but I see roads on the routes are getting washed out.

The CTX released 9 years ago and I got mine new 7 years ago. Where does the time go?! The thread about buying clutch parts "just in case" triggered a realization that the forum still is not full of threads on major issues and repairs. Broken tabs and perhaps the high idle, but everything else is mostly maintenance and elective mods. A testimate to the quality and reliability of the CTX.

Looks like the rain is letting up...time to go outside!
Had to look up the Mandello, that thing is badazz looking!
What color?
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Stirling Congratulations on the new bike!

Did you keep the CTX, or trade it?
Thanks! When are you expecting yours to be delivered?

And yes, keeping the CTX for awhile. The CTX knew something was up and my heart was after another bike because the high idle issue resurfaced a couple days ago. It is snubbing me! I'll take it out again after the next round of rain and maybe it will resolve itself. I'll order the stepper motor regardless and replace it when I do the air filter.

· Registered
802 Posts
The last I heard, my dealer still doesn't know when he'll get the bike. I'm planning to ride up there this coming weekend to verify that he's really getting one. If I don't have one by late May/early June, I'll find one somewhere else even if it means I need to do a fly and buy.

The bikes are showing up all over the country. I was hoping to have it by now. He doesn't seem to be interested in paying much for the Niken, so I may go elsewhere anyway.

Were you able to get saddle bags or any of the other accessories yet? How does the bike handle in rain? I'd think the back end might want to spin up a bit with all that power.

Reactions: Stlburd2

· Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Good job Stirling! I still haven't dug my CTX out of the garage yet, I started it in the garage and let it warm up then shut it off a couple of weeks ago.
Got the DRZ400SM out and rode it around and to work a couple of times for the first ride of the year.
Looking forward to the riding season! Planning a tail of the dragon trip this year!
Lighter, you guys need to hit the Meet up in the Mountains and tie that Dragon trip all in one. I think you’d like it. Stay safe.

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The last I heard, my dealer still doesn't know when he'll get the bike. I'm planning to ride up there this coming weekend to verify that he's really getting one. If I don't have one by late May/early June, I'll find one somewhere else even if it means I need to do a fly and buy.

The bikes are showing up all over the country. I was hoping to have it by now. He doesn't seem to be interested in paying much for the Niken, so I may go elsewhere anyway.

Were you able to get saddle bags or any of the other accessories yet? How does the bike handle in rain? I'd think the back end might want to spin up a bit with all that power.
No saddle bags yet. I wanted to order but dealer said they dont have the accessory list/ability from the mother ship (Piaggio) yet. Thinking of trying the dealer in San Diego...they are a big outfit and seem to have more attention from the mother ship, the first to get bikes in the region and now appear to be delivering accessories.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts