CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is how it supposed to work on this forum or not:
After reading a thread, I proceed to read the next unread thread.
The little indicator (downward chevron) shows on the thread I just left indicating unread, even though there are no new messages.
The only way I can turn off the new message indicator is to click the 'Mark Forums Read' in the Tools menu. Or after 24 hours from the time I read a thread, it is then showing as read, unless of course there is a new post.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I find I almost always have to refresh the page to see that I've read a thread or posts. Otherwise when I return the thread list it often shows unread still due to that page being in my browser cache.

·
Administrator
344 Posts
Seems like you need to view the final page in a thread in order to have it marked as read.

~Kay

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like you need to view the final page in a thread in order to have it marked as read.

~Kay
duh!!!!!!!:520:
Ok, let me rephrase my first post:
After reading to the end of each unread thread which includes ALL posts, which would mean I read the last page, the thread is still showing unread until I mark all forums read using the tool button>quick links>Mark Forums Read or 24 hours have past since I read it. If no one else is having the problem, it must be related to my account. I don't think it is my browser because it is the same in Chrome, FF, and on my mobile browser.
IF this is a unique to me problem, then leave it be. I can continue to work around it.
@bob,
Sometimes I think I am saying something clear because I know what I meant rather than what I say. Please correct me if this isn't clear and help me to get the correct point across.
The refresh, clear cache neither resolve the problem.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Not just your problem. I see it too. Even after reading to end of a thread I return to main forums list and see it showing still unread. I even have an issue with some longer threads where I click to go to first unread post and end up a few pages of posts before that. I can then go to the last page and hope the first unread post is there or page through each page until I find it or go back and click the chevron again and repeat until I actually end up at the first unread post. Even after doing all that on my laptop browser, if I then go to Motorcycle.com on my mobile to the forums I get all the messages showing unread there since the last time I cleared them in the mobile app. So the read messages status doesn't pass through to the mobile app from viewing here on my laptop. Just a few more details that I am getting.

·
Administrator
344 Posts
Not just your problem. I see it too. Even after reading to end of a thread I return to main forums list and see it showing still unread. I even have an issue with some longer threads where I click to go to first unread post and end up a few pages of posts before that. I can then go to the last page and hope the first unread post is there or page through each page until I find it or go back and click the chevron again and repeat until I actually end up at the first unread post. Even after doing all that on my laptop browser, if I then go to Motorcycle.com on my mobile to the forums I get all the messages showing unread there since the last time I cleared them in the mobile app. So the read messages status doesn't pass through to the mobile app from viewing here on my laptop. Just a few more details that I am getting.
Read vs Unread is a cookie tracker function so no it won't immediately translate from a laptop to the app. This may sound silly but when you guys say go back how are you doing so? Are you just jumping to a new forum or using the back button.

Kyle

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I am using the back button. So I do expect to see the previous page same as I left it until a refresh. Also, I figured it was a cookie thing. The other forum I belong to (also vBulletin) evidently does not use local cookies and keeps that info within the user account.

·
Administrator
344 Posts
I kind of suspected as much. Browser Back function loads the previously cached page including old cookies thus the need to refresh. We can change what the marking system is set to if you want the draw back to that being new posts will in some cases mark as read once you've logged out regardless.

Kyle

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As stated above, this doesn't seem to be an issue for other users. Feel free to let it drop if you wish.
To answer the question:
As indicated previously, I read a thread, then I click the chevron (in the panel to the right) of the next unread message. The chevron disappears indicated the thread is read.
Going to a different thread, the chevron appears again by the thread I just left, indicating it is unread which I would assume to indicate a new post in the thread, which there is not.
Not often, but I also use the "New Post" link at the top to list new posting to threads.
Also, to clarify, this happens on one platform (windows) on one computer. I first noticed the problem while using Chrome on Windows. BUT I can duplicate it going to another computer (Windows 7), or using the brower on my tablet (Android).
IF I use the MO app, the indicators show correct after use. They do not show threads unread if I read them on my desktop today. The app shows it as read if older OR I read them with the app and they stay read.
I then tried Firefox with the same results, meaning I read the thread, go to the next unread thread by clicking the link from the panel on the right, then the thread I just left is showing in the right panel as being UNread.
Unread, meaning the chevron indicator is again by the thread in the right panel. But, but clicking the Tools>quick link> mark forums read, ALL chevron symbols disappear and do not show again UNTIL someone posts a new reply.
Using the back button on any webpage/site/forum I'm familiar with will require a refresh (reload) to update anything linking to another page you have visited(Hence the warning on many of them not to do so). So that is not unique to this forum.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:
FYI, no response required.
Since upgrading to windows 10, I've used the new Edge browser to see how it does on my favorite sites.
Reply above(Kyle) that the read function is a cookie function seems strange. I can mark all threads read using the menu in Edge and Chrome will show the threads read.
IF this were a cookie function, then Chrome would not know the thread was read yet. Ditto for Tapatalk.
So, reading a thread does NOT mark it read, but using the menu to mark the thread read will indicate it is read in all browsers and in Tapatalk.
Reading a thread and using the menu function to mark threads read do not function the same.
Again, this is a minor hiccup and I'm just posting this for any other that may be experiencing the same.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sometime today, something changed. When I logged on this morning, everything was acting as before.
As of a few minutes ago I read 4 threads and all four of them now show read without me having to force it showing read through the Tools>Quick Links>Mark forum read.
Since I brought the complaint up before, just thought I'd let it be known to be resolved. (At least for me).

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
I say to you, "HEAL!!"

And it was so.

Glory be!

Reactions: willajabir
1 - 14 of 14 Posts