CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I stop this post sudddenly it is because water is running in the garage!! Last week the fellow from MB Products in Falcon, Colorado emailed me and said he sent out for testing a pair of custom rear shocks for the CTX 1300. Someone (perhaps someone on this forum) sent him dimensions and photos. He's waiting for the customer to report on how they work. The good news: he only charges about $200. Is that person on this forum? Any test yet? :confused:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got another email from Mike at MB Products. He reports that they fit just fine. Now we need a report on how they perform.....

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the CTX replacement shocks worked up by Mike at MB Products. $200. Fast shipping. MB Products Installation required removing the rear side cowls and that of course required some other pieces of plastic to be removed. I couldn't get the rear side cowls completely off but I did pull them back far enough to mount the new shocks. I have a center stand and placed a 1 X2 under the rear tire. This was just about right to get pressure off the shock bolts. The replacements are 11.75 inches and when I was done the rear tire moved up about a quarter of an inch so I guess my bike is now lower by that amount. I couldn't really tell any height difference but the ride difference was very much improved. I have them on the softest setting and I did 200 miles with a passenger (146 lbs) me 180 lbs. I tested these new shocks on a very bad road that was in the process of being resurface. Ruts. Bumps. Furrows. Bridge gratings. And 80 mph on good highway. I swear the bike feels more stable particularly at low speeds with a passenger. I can now actually feel the suspension work. The original shocks seem like toys (two soup cans with foam in the middle) compared to these MB shocks. IMHO great modification.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to do a follow up...longer term assessment of the the MB products rear shocks that I installed in October of 2015. They still work great and are a big improvement over stock. Lots of improvement relative to money spent and relative to ease of install. I started with them on the softest setting, first notch. However, they seemed a little mushy and would occasionally bottom out when I rode with my girlfriend on the back. I gradually moved up to the third notch and this solved the problem. In contrast to the original shocks, the preload setting on these really makes a difference. Any other assessment of replacement rear shocks out there?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
After all the chat before about shocks, I sure was expecting more posts on your thread.
Maybe $200 wasn't enough to get 'em interested :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Is possible for someone to do a Video on adjusting the rear shocks?
Here a quick video I just uploaded.
https://youtu.be/yVstDwKO0MQ
Normally I don't have the saddlebags on my bike which make the operation very simple.
I grab the shock and rotate clockwise to increase firmness, the arrow on the base of the shock helps keeping the same shock setting on both sides.
I ride solo, mostly mountain roads, I set on 2 or 3.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It turns that easily?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I decided to order a set of these and after talking with Mike I ordered a 10.5 with the agreement I could exchange if they were to low. Yep.. way to low. scrapped at every turn (although I went from tip of toes to flat footed.. Sent them back and got 11.5. unfortunately they arrived the same day I had shoulder surgery so they are sitting waiting for me to heal so I can install them. I will post a follow up once I am able to install and ride.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Well that was an Academy Award production.......loved the video, now I need to work out how to get the panniers off. I had no idea it was so easy to adjust the tension on the rear shocks. On my VTX1300 I had to struggle to get the panniers off ....... then using the tool supplied to move the shocks up and down. I've ordered the parts for the front suspension and awaiting their arrival and fitting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
After all the chat before about shocks, I sure was expecting more posts on your thread.
Maybe $200 wasn't enough to get 'em interested :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

I certainly would have been but I have had my Ohlins HD 216's
for 10 months already and they work.

The MB shocks would have saved me $500:eek:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Adjusted my rear shocks by hand today, easily.
However....for those of us who live on a steroid free diet and cannot bend coins and crack walnuts with our bare hands....:tongue:

Honda offers a reasonably priced offset pin spanner wrench designed specifically for the CTX1300:

Honda p/n 89202-MJN-A00

Having adjusted the shocks using hands, strap wrenches, and even removing the panniers, I find the modest ($12 including shipping, handling, dealer preparation fees and state tax:)) a worthwhile investment.

The part is available at several of the popular online m/c sites and the base price varies from $11 - $15 before shipping.

It converted a half hour job fraught with bad words into a 5 minute evolution.:wink:

This spanner has been mentioned in previous shock absorber threads, but I couldn't find the correct thread to bump.

Enjoy and ride safe:smiley-happy0034:

Reactions: Borntobewild

·
Registered
413 Posts
From within that thread, I had added this post:
http://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/w...easier-suspension-adjustment-3.html#post60602

I have the Honda spanner tool and I'm still angry over it -- it scratched up my shocks AND dented one of them when the shock was stubborn and didn't want to turn. I threw the Honda tool deep into my toolbox and instead carry that rubber strap wrench pictured there. AND I don't ever take the panniers off to adjust the shocks; I can get the strap wrench in there with enough room to turn. Just takes some finesse and a deep breath.

(Man, the subtopic of adjusting the stock shocks totally destroyed the original intent of this thread.)

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
From within that thread, I had added ...

(Man, the subtopic of adjusting the stock shocks totally destroyed the original intent of this thread.)
That's why I didn't just reiterate what I wrote in that other thread and just posted a link to it for the benefit of the member who asked. Figured it would be enough to read your post, and those of others, in that other thread.

MB shocks are good, as are other brands mentioned in this and other shock related posts. For those who don't wish to replace but just want information on adjusting the stock shock there is that other post (and a few more even) on that subject. No intent to hijack this thread.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the Honda spanner tool and I'm still angry over it -- it scratched up my shocks AND dented one of them when the shock was stubborn and didn't want to turn.
Wow! That mean ol' wrench did that all by itself?

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll have to keep it locked away.

Mine's been really docile so far, but you never can tell when these sneaky things will turn on you:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts