CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
When I bought my CTX1300 from a private party, he gave me a McCruise cruise control system, still in the box, as part of the deal. I paged through the installation instructions and they look pretty complex. I am wondering if any of you who would consider yourselves non moto gear heads have successfully installed the system and if so, how has it performed.

Thanks for you response!

Merford:ty:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi all,
When I bought my CTX1300 from a private party, he gave me a McCruise cruise control system, still in the box, as part of the deal. I paged through the installation instructions and they look pretty complex. I am wondering if any of you who would consider yourselves non moto gear heads have successfully installed the system and if so, how has it performed.

Thanks for you response!

I was about one button push away from buying McCruise. Because I'm not mechanically gifted I downloaded the installation instructions, printed and took them to my Honda dealer. They winced but said they'd do the installation if I decided to go that way.

Ultimately I decided (for many reasons) on a bike with OEM cruise.

When I was taking delivery on the new Wing, the Service Manager (who owns the dealership) came over, gripped my shoulder and said "I see you've taken care of your cruise control problem1" We laughed and he said "I was really, really, really not looking forward to doing that installation!" And this was from a guy who's dealerhsip (that has a sterling reputation for quality service) has been selling and servicing every Honda model that's come out in the last 30 years.

No doubt other CTX owners with mechanical skills can (and some have) done the McCruise installation. Not this kid. Just the prospect of having to field-strip the bike (and encounter all those fragile tabs) was more than enough dis-incentive for me.:eek:

Good luck and ride safe:smiley-happy0034:

Reactions: Stlburd2 and bruceb

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am a Master Electrician, and I also do low-voltage wiring (home theater, audio-video, computer networking, etc). I have been doing car wiring since the days of 8-tracks, and have installed several cruise control systems. I installed a Rostra CC system on my '96 Nighthawk 750. I haven't installed a CC on my '01 ST1100 yet. but it will be another Rostra when the time comes.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because I can help you guys with the wiring and installation of yours. I can not give you wiring skills, but I can tell you which wire to connect where, and recommend the same handlebar-mounted switch pod I used on the Nighthawk:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks for you response!

The installation manual while quite extensive, is straight forward. I installed my McCruise in about 10 hours, spread out over 4 days as I was working in an unheated garage whose temperatures where between 25-35F.

Take your time and follow each step EXACTLY. Bag and label stuff you remove. Remember the old children's joke... how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

If you find yourself stuck, email or call McCruise. Their customer support is fantastic.

Reactions: Stlburd2 and bljdb

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed the McCruise system a couple of years ago. The instructions are as good as any I've seen. The worst part of the install to me was removing and replacing the plastic body panels.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am a Master Electrician, and I also do low-voltage wiring (home theater, audio-video, computer networking, etc). I have been doing car wiring since the days of 8-tracks, and have installed several cruise control systems. I installed a Rostra CC system on my '96 Nighthawk 750. I haven't installed a CC on my '01 ST1100 yet. but it will be another Rostra when the time comes.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because I can help you guys with the wiring and installation of yours. I can not give you wiring skills, but I can tell you which wire to connect where, and recommend the same handlebar-mounted switch pod I used on the Nighthawk:

I would use this instead (AudioVox CSS-100):

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would use this instead (AudioVox CSS-100):
The TT switch pod is smaller and much easier to mount, as well as cheaper. I wired the kickstand-down light through a 50-ohm resistor to indicate when the CC is active. It's bright enough to see in daylight and dim enough to not be annoying at night.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Mr. Fine,
Just curious, did you at all try the the cruise control switch that came with the MCCRUISE unit?
Negative, and I'm sure it's a nice control pod. I'm also sure that almost nobody has adopted the TrailTech switch pod on a CC either. I'm not criticizing the quality of the MC system, just the cost. I also like the TT switch's compact size and the handlebar clamp.

It's just that I'm a frugal shopper (i.e., I'm cheap) and don't like spending $900 when I can get the same functionality for less than $300 for a complete system. I also think the TT switch looks more integrated and less stuck on like an extra appendage.

The all-electronic (non-vacuum-operated) automotive system I used (Rostra 250-1223) has been around for a long time, and the company is well and provides great customer support. The one part I would buy from MCCruise is the throttle attachment spool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks for you response!

Hi there, wondering if you still have the mccruise control and might be interested in selling it? Thanks, Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts