CTX 1300 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Am I right in seeing the cabins already booked for Sept 2020?

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk
Yep. They went fast. I will camp in my tent. Hope you can too! If not, look around the area for available hotels.

Peace,
Hansen

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Have we gotten anyone local there interested in making the Meetup? I've been playing around looking for motels in the area and really haven't found anything I would call reasonable at Suches. I've been searching Dahlonega, Helen, Cleveland and a place called Young Harris. All of the time/ distance I listed have been rounded up for comparison and were from Google Maps.
Dahlonega GA south of Suches is right at 16 miles/25 min with prices listed from $65 a night on up.
Young Harris GA looks to be east of Suches and is right at 27 miles/42 min with prices from $47 on up.
Helen GA looks to be northeast of Suches and is right at 30 miles/45 min with prices $47 on up. There may be a larger selection here also.
Cleveland GA southeast of Suches is 22 miles/35 min with prices $44 on up.
I did notice on Google when ya hit the hotel button that they list hotels for say Cleveland but they are actually in Helen so check the exact address when searching.
My hope is that as we get closer to the dates someone local could give us an idea of a takeoff/meet up location that would work with the campers and hotel people.
Again I'm sure there are other cities I didn't check. Hope to see ya all in Sept.
Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Have we gotten anyone local there interested in making the Meetup?
Chris and Karen are local to the area. Perhaps they can provide some insight?

All the cabins have two beds, plus the lodge rooms have two or three each. Anyone got a spare bed available in cabin or lodge room?

I will be using my tent set up. Depending on other 'life' stuff, I may trailer the bike there. If I do that, I might bring bigger and better camping equipment than my typical minimalist set up. :smiley-happy0034:

Peace,
Chris Hansen

·
Registered
305 Posts
Chris and Karen are local to the area. Perhaps they can provide some insight?

All the cabins have two beds, plus the lodge rooms have two or three each. Anyone got a spare bed available in cabin or lodge room?

I will be using my tent set up. Depending on other 'life' stuff, I may trailer the bike there. If I do that, I might bring bigger and better camping equipment than my typical minimalist set up. :smiley-happy0034:

Peace,
Chris Hansen
Yes, Karen and I are more or less local (about a two hour ride from our home). And we ride up there quite often, but I do not have anything more to add to Stan's list of "near by" hotels. Karen has already told me she will NOT camp, so we will look to Dahlonega for a hotel room. I could image camping by myself since I am close enough where Karen could drive up in the car with all of our (very old) camping stuff, and with all of that I could probably make myself comfortable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I camped at TWOS in Suches from Thursday until Saturday. Great campground and bath house. The restaurant was open for takeout with a good menu selection. The riding in the area was great. I rode Hwy 180(Wolf Pen Gap Rd), Hwy 348(Near Helen), and Hwy 60(Dahlonega to Suches). I visited Amicalola Falls State Park and hiked to the top of the falls. A lot of roads and sites I didn't have a chance to see. Looking forward to fall.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Ok. I’m in. I just made a reservation at the Quality Inn Dahlonega arrive 9/23 out on 9/27. Now if somebody local can set us up a good location to meet each morning it would be great. Maybe a local gas station or restaurant. Hope we have a good turn out. I know the rides will be good. Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I camped at TWOS in Suches from Thursday until Saturday. Great campground and bath house. The restaurant was open for takeout with a good menu selection. The riding in the area was great. I rode Hwy 180(Wolf Pen Gap Rd), Hwy 348(Near Helen), and Hwy 60(Dahlonega to Suches). I visited Amicalola Falls State Park and hiked to the top of the falls. A lot of roads and sites I didn't have a chance to see. Looking forward to fall.
That is great! I took a day ride (200 miles) to that area and road many of the same routes as you. It was my first time in that area. I am looking forward to the trip as well.

Peace,
Chris

·
Registered
469 Posts
Am in initial planning stages to try to get there this year! Once again, lots of variables, with the farm and timing of harvesting sesame. The spousal unit will be included! So, plans are to pull the CTX on a UHaul m/c trailer to Marietta, GA, and possibly leave my truck / trailer at my wife’s brother’s home there after an overnight stay. Will likely hotel in Dahlonega. A PERFECT plan would be all the above, plus meeting up with Chris and Karen in Duluth for the ride to Dahlonega!

Stoked to even be THINKING of making it back again. And really hope it works out, so my wife can see all the fun she’s been missing out on!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Will likely hotel in Dahlonega. A PERFECT plan would be all the above, plus meeting up with Chris and Karen in Duluth for the ride to Dahlonega!
Now that is indeed a perfect plan! The most hair-raising part of it is the motorcycle ride from Marietta to Duluth. I guess I better get busy making our reservations somewhere in Dahlonega...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Now that is indeed a perfect plan! The most hair-raising part of it is the motorcycle ride from Marietta to Duluth. I guess I better get busy making our reservations somewhere in Dahlonega...
I just made a reservation at the Quality Inn in Dahlonega (great location for getting to the Meetup). They said there is a bicycle race in town that weekend so rooms are booking up. As of a few minutes ago they still had 14 rooms available on our dates. But I was shocked that they were $135 a night! But Dahlonega is a tourist town and this is high season...

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I just made a reservation at the Quality Inn in Dahlonega (great location for getting to the Meetup). They said there is a bicycle race in town that weekend so rooms are booking up. As of a few minutes ago they still had 14 rooms available on our dates. But I was shocked that they were $135 a night! But Dahlonega is a tourist town and this is high season...
I was checking on booking.com for the area just for the heck of it and found lesser cost spots - including the quality inn. of course the parameters I put in for a search may be different from yours. I put in arrival of 24th and leave on 27th one person...

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Starting to get closer to the Meetup and I know all of us are wondering - Can we? Should we? Will we? WHO KNOWS!! As of now I'm certainly planning on being there. In watching other posts on other forums I follow the mountains appear to be all open. I would guess @ctxbryan and @HansenCTX may have the most up to date info on how much of a pain it may be in that area of the Blue Ridge mountains. Perhaps you two and any others who have been up there could share some "covid" experiences so we can try to adjust our comfort zones...

Reactions: fbnewell1

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Starting to get closer to the Meetup and I know all of us are wondering - Can we? Should we? Will we? WHO KNOWS!! As of now I'm certainly planning on being there. In watching other posts on other forums I follow the mountains appear to be all open. I would guess @ctxbryan and @HansenCTX may have the most up to date info on how much of a pain it may be in that area of the Blue Ridge mountains. Perhaps you two and any others who have been up there could share some "covid" experiences so we can try to adjust our comfort zones...
Good questions. I have been up in the mountains a few times, including in GA. So far so good! Many folks who camp inform me that Two Wheels is great and running strong. I will call the camp just to ask for peace of mind.

Peace,
Chris

21 - 40 of 43 Posts