CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2021 Meetup in the Mountains!!! Where might we meet? Where might we ride? What local cuisine might we explore and enjoy? I am asking for everyone to consider and suggest a location for next year. Aspects to consider: motorcycle-friendly lodging with amenities (i.e. camping with bathhouse, cabins, lodge), food service at the event site, proximity to gas and other necessities, etc.

Post a suggestion. I will take all suggestions and develop a survey. After the survey is made, I will make that survey available to our entire membership. There will be a deadline for voting (one week).

What to include in your suggestion:
Name of Campground/Lodge/Main-Event Site.
Location information (State, address).
Website URL for main event location.

Post your suggestion by Oct. 5th. I will develop the survey and share the survey link by Oct. 9th. Vote for your preferred location by 11:59pm Oct. 16th. I will announce the location with the highest percentage of votes and then contact the owner/manager of the location to begin the planning. Dates for the 2021 event will be considered after an event location is determined. I will share suggested weekends with the membership; however, the specific date will be determined after various logistics are considered. My goal is to have the dates for our event determined by Oct. 23rd.

Sincerely,
Chris Hansen

·
Registered
207 Posts

Edelweiss Inn

2066 East Van Buren
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
1-800-870-2529
1-479-363-6990

Absolutely NO affiliation, it is just pretty much central in the country and Arkansas has some beautiful riding. Never stayed at this facility.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Edelweiss Inn

2066 East Van Buren
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
1-800-870-2529
1-479-363-6990

Absolutely NO affiliation, it is just pretty much central in the country and Arkansas has some beautiful riding. Never stayed at this facility.
Wow! Looks great. They also have 5 pre-planned moto-routes. Motorcycles Maps | Edelweiss Inn

Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ooooh. I'll try really hard to make an Arkansas meetup. Always wanted to do the meetup in the mountains, but the Carolinas are just too far for a 10 day trip. I'd be able to bun burner it or do a saddle sore plus one day to Eureka Springs. Then meander back home after the meetup.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I've ridden in several parts of Ark and I'd be all in for a Meet Up there. We could probably draw more riders from the central and western states. There are numerous RV campgrounds, some with cabins or tent camping with utilities. And I'm pretty sure there are probably motels near most. And with the state motorcycle route pamphlet planning rides would be easy.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
While I will probably post several suggestions, The one that always comes immediately to mind is where my family had a reunion several years ago. We had folks from as far away as Montana, Arizona and everywhere in between! All had a great time of course and it's always nice to meet cousins you haven't met before... Ever since we had our event there I've thought it would be darn near perfect for one of our meetups. While the facility is a bit dated, it has all you would need for a successful meetup, mostly location and seclusion.

The facility was built as a retreat for a business and later sold to the state of NC. There are 16 twin beds, 3 bathrooms, large living room with big stone fireplace, complete kitchen, covered porch and lots of parking with a lake view. There are several large picnic tables on the porch, (3-4 if I recall), and plenty of tables inside for setting up food areas, playing cards, etc. There is lots of room for tents if you wish to set them up. This is a very private location with hiking, fishing and boating available. The location is central in the middle of all mountain roads. My first cousin drove his 400 foot RV there so it wasn't too bad but it is a tight twisty road to get there from either direction. We had about 10-15 cars plus that RV and two big 5th wheel trailers so parking is not an issue! We had about 30 people total this time and although not all slept here, it was plenty big enough for a crowd that size.

Drawback would be the need to bring food in and cook it ourselves, either in the kitchen or the outside grill. If no one brought a car I would be able to borrow my sister's to get needed items as she lives nearby. Cost is $170 per night, $200 on weekends. That's for the whole place, not per person! This place is very secluded.

Balsam Lake Lodge
5464 CHARLEYS CREEK ROAD
TUCKASEGEE, NC 28783

Pictures here are from my reunion, trying to give a view of the facility...
First two pics are the view from the lodge grassy area.
Third photo shows dock area which is a short walk from lodge down to lake
Fourth photo shows one of our eating spots on the front porch
Fifth is my kids, trying out some paddling.
Number six is partial view of living room
Seven was the whole gang

IMG_1260.jpeg

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Balsam Lake Lodge
5464 CHARLEYS CREEK ROAD
TUCKASEGEE, NC 28783

Wow! That is amazing! Some of us were talking about something like this. Renting a large venue like this as our meetup location rather than a motorcycle camp/lodge. Thank you for sharing this suggestion!

Keep the suggestions coming everyone. More suggestions please! I have some... but I am holding back because I want to hear from you.

Peace,
Chris Hansen

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was planning a solo Arkansas trip this year but got derailed with COVID-19. I would enjoy a trip there but NC sounds good too. Keep those ideas coming!
Dan

·
Registered
364 Posts
Chris, my vote is NC area. Alternatively, where NC, TN, KY, VA and WV meet is fine with me.

Reactions: bljdb and Stlburd2

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Has anyone heard of the AFVC? Armed Forces Vacation Club? They offer very attractive vacation get away locations all over. Most are advertised with weekly rates for condos from $399 on up. You can check them out online. Haven’t used them but thinking about it. I joined as it was free and get email offers all the time now.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris, my vote is NC area. Alternatively, where NC, TN, KY, VA and WV meet is fine with me.
Hey! Thanks for your input. Do you have a specific location in mind? If so, share it with us so I can include it in the survey. Don't forget to vote when I generate and share the survey.

Peace,
Chris

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone heard of the AFVC? Armed Forces Vacation Club? They offer very attractive vacation get away locations all over. Most are advertised with weekly rates for condos from $399 on up. You can check them out online. Haven’t used them but thinking about it. I joined as it was free and get email offers all the time now.
Thanks for the input! My family stayed at one in Hawaii when I was nine. I am personally unaware of any, but if you know of some that fit our needs please share.

Don't forget to vote after a I generate and share the survey.

Peace,
Chris

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
My wife and I stayed at this place in Davis, WV a number of years ago for a Concours Owners Group National Rally. We really enjoyed it. Lots of great riding in the area. Canaan Valley Resort and Conference Center Davis, WV, US
This would be a great area with lots of great roads. This is a little further west from the Hancock, MD Meet Up we did in 2019. I would be willing to help set up the meeting place and rides.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey! Thanks for your input. Do you have a specific location in mind? If so, share it with us so I can include it in the survey. Don't forget to vote when I generate and share the survey.

Peace,
Chris
Chris,
The Wytheville VA area is perfect for ground central. I have routes including lunch and dinner places all laid out. If you need help I will be more than happy to co-sponsor the ride with you.

Brian

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wytheville is close to the Snake, Claw and Back of the Dragon. Not to mention the WV, KY, and TN roads! They will have to slap the smile off your face after riding each day!

·
Registered
85 Posts
During the Hancock, MD gathering there was some talk at the campground about a KY/TN trip. I was at a hotel so I missed out on it, but that is a good idea also. Also, Ohio seems to be promoting the Scenic Windy 9 routes. Note, Windy does not relate to the strong breeze, rather how the roads wind around corners. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
During the Hancock, MD gathering there was some talk at the campground about a KY/TN trip. I was at a hotel so I missed out on it, but that is a good idea also. Also, Ohio seems to be promoting the Scenic Windy 9 routes. Note, Windy does not relate to the strong breeze, rather how the roads wind around corners. :)
State Route 555 (the triple nickel) in Ohio is one of the best motorcycle roads I have ever been on. 👍

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chris,
The Wytheville VA area is perfect for ground central. I have routes including lunch and dinner places all laid out. If you need help I will be more than happy to co-sponsor the ride with you.

Brian
Thanks for your input on ride routes. Do you have a specific location (i.e. campground, motorcycle lodge, etc.) to suggest? If so, please post information here.

Peace,
Chris

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! Do you have a specific central event location in mind? Campground, Motorcycle Lodge, etc.? Please share that information please.

Thanks,
Chris

1 - 20 of 60 Posts