CTX 1300 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Hello Friends,

I was not going to make a suggestion, but after seeing Bluethunder's suggestion about the western VA area I remembered seeing Fancy Gap Cabins and Campground (FGCC) located on the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) between milepost 202 and 203. This location is great for just about everything you can imagine. The best part, modern accommodations that meet everyones needs and it is on the BRP!

Accommodations

They have onsite a motel, cabins, RV sties, and tent sites.
Motel rooms have bathrooms and porches that overlook the BRP ($70 per night).
  • The motel is available for group reservation. From the website, "We do rent the entire motel for family reunions, motorcycle clubs, golf tournaments, wedding parties and other gatherings. Call us for pricing..."
13 RV sites with full-hookups ($35 per night).
6 one-room cabins ($60 per night).
5 tent sites with a maximum of five people per site ($25 per night).

"Groups of five or more reservations of any combination of motel, RV, tent or cabin reservations receive a 10 percent discount."

Fancy Gap Cabins and Campground
202595 Blue Ridge Pkwy, Fancy Gap, VA 24328
Fancy Gap Cabins and Campground Website

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Charles and I were at Fancy Gap a couple years ago. I was in one of the motel rooms and Charles was probably camping. If I recall we were the only two that showed up and there may have been a hurricane involved - imagine that. Charles went North or West I think and I went South on the BRP so we didn't ride together or anything. I think he spoke pretty highly of the areas he ended up riding in around there. I was much more concerned with outrunning the rain. The facility however was quite nice. For those of you that want a motel room, they are very nice and roomy. Who knows if I happened to be in the only renovated room but the bathroom seemed to be fairly newly renovated and it was quite nice. For the price I was impressed. Location was awesome and this would probably work very well for a meetup. In fact - I'll probably vote for this one, if not next fall but this Spring or even both! I'm betting we could try some roads that most all of us have never been on. Plus - if you prefer a quick ride in, it looks to be very close to I-77.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes. I camped at Fancy Gap in May 2019. Everything there was very nice. The grounds of the campground has apple and peach trees on it. The bathrooms shared by the campground and cabins are set up as 6 separate full baths that appeared to be new. I headed west in the rain to Marion, Va and rode the Back of the Dragon. I ended up taking back roads all the way to the New River Gorge Bridge in WV that day before returning to Fancy Gap. There are a lot of great roads in the Fancy Gap area that I didn't get a chance to ride and the town of Fancy Gap has several restaurants.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hello Everyone!

Thank you for suggesting the following locations for our 2021 Meetup in the Mountains rally. Please take a moment to review each location and consider which one you prefer. Locations are presented in the order they were suggested. After reviewing all locations, use the link provided below to access the survey where you can cast your vote.

Edelweiss Inn
2066 East Van Buren
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Motorcycles Maps | Edelweiss Inn

Balsam Lake Lodge
5464 Charleys Creek Rd
Tuckasegee, NC 28783
Recreation.gov

Canaan Valley Resort and Conference Center
230 Main Lodge Rd.
Davis, WV 26260
Website for Canaan Valley

SURVEY
Survey Link

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello Everyone!

Thank you for suggesting the following locations for our 2021 Meetup in the Mountains rally. Please take a moment to review each location and consider which one you prefer. Locations are presented in the order they were suggested. After reviewing all locations, use the link provided below to access the survey where you can cast your vote.

Edelweiss Inn
2066 East Van Buren
Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Balsam Lake Lodge
5464 Charleys Creek Rd
Tuckasegee, NC 28783
Recreation.gov

230 Main Lodge Rd.
Davis, WV 26260

SURVEY
Survey Link
Thanks for organizing this, HansenCTX! I submitted my vote. Just hope the border will finally reopen by the time of the Rally, so I can actually get there!
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
525 Posts
Do we vote early ... and often ?!?!?

I assume 1 total vote for Beth and I?

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Do we vote early ... and often ?!?!?

I assume 1 total vote for Beth and I?
One vote per family is a good policy to follow. I am using Qualtrics for the survey (research tool I use for PhD work). With that, I am able to see who voted (IP Address), when they voted (Date/Time stamp), and where they are located geographically.

Vote now. I will close voting Oct. 16th at 11:59pm (EST) then post the results.

Thanks!
Chris

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
The survey does allow you to vote twice I found. Oooops..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks for your input on ride routes. Do you have a specific location (i.e. campground, motorcycle lodge, etc.) to suggest? If so, please post information here.

Peace,
Chris
Chris, I am a Hampton Inn kind of guy. The Hampton Inn at Wytheville is an ideal location. Across the street from restaurants, fuel stations, stores, etc. If, and I hope you don't :), pick a camp site, please make sure that a cabin is available - preferably with an indoor bathroom!

Has a date been selected?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Chris, I am a Hampton Inn kind of guy. The Hampton Inn at Wytheville is an ideal location. Across the street!
Was that one of the suggestions made? I missed it.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Was that one of the suggestions made? I missed it.

Wytheville was suggested as a geographical location; however, an actual site to host the event was not provided.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
I just spoke to the Owner at Idelweiss and looked at their web page. Of course I'm in for Ark as it's close but in speaking to him and asking about dates he mentioned a couple of spring festivals/conventions/rally that normally take place there. Subject to the COVID stuff of course. He had nothing scheduled/reserved for early Sept. For what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I just spoke to the Owner at Idelweiss and looked at their web page. Of course I'm in for Ark as it's close but in speaking to him and asking about dates he mentioned a couple of spring festivals/conventions/rally that normally take place there. Subject to the COVID stuff of course. He had nothing scheduled/reserved for early Sept. For what it's worth.
Thanks. We will focus on dates after we select a site. We try to stay true to the fall (late Sept. and all of Oct.). The date I select for this event has traditionally been when my school is on Fall Break (mid Oct.). However, considering Covid and other factors, this upcoming year may be different. After we select a site, then I will call the location and select the best time for us to go.

Peace,
Chris

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Reposting information. Last week to vote. One vote per family (household).

Edelweiss Inn
2066 East Van Buren
Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Balsam Lake Lodge
5464 Charleys Creek Rd
Tuckasegee, NC 28783
Recreation.gov

230 Main Lodge Rd.
Davis, WV 26260

SURVEY
Survey Link

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am totally in for an Arkansas ride but the September date seems to be iffy. Maybe this year is an anomaly but the hurricane issue is a concern. If September is a good time for everyone, I'd say NC/VA is best. I'm placing my vote now.

·
Registered
525 Posts
“You pays your money and you takes your chances!” Seems like there’s been a tropical event close by the location and time - each of the last 4 years. And they’ve been in Sept and Oct.

Still think it’s Barry’s fault. (And maybe a little bit mine, as well!)

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I think 2020 is split between Stephen and Frontis actually. Stephen cursed us and Frontis delivered. Course In the end it may be chasing me so...

21 - 40 of 55 Posts