CTX 1300 Forum banner
141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
When you visited Fancy Gap did you look at the road that runs from the office to the motel. When I was there a couple years ago it was covered with deep, loose gravel. It was a little tricky riding over there.
When Jörg and I visited last month, we rode our bikes around the entire camp. All the roads throughout the camp are gravel and were in good condition. However, conditions of gravel roads change dependent on weather, use, and maintenance. With that said, the road today may not be the same as it was in June and July.

Both Jörg and I rode our bikes up and down the entire length of the road to the motel, and our bikes were fully loaded with a week's long amount of camping gear. I was comfortable, but I am accustomed to riding on dirt and gravel and know how to drive in it. I do not assume my level of comfortable and confidence on a gravel roads is shared by all. I acknowledge everyone is different.

In July, there were sections of the road leading up to the motel that had various levels of gravel. Considering everyone's level of ability, experience, and confidence, my recommendation is to walk the road first and see where the best line is. Keep in mind that the CTX1300 is equipped with Traction Control (rear wheel). This should be turned off if needed (depending on conditions).

If needed/desired, people can choose to park their bikes at another location and walk to the motel. In fact, it may not be a bad idea to have a parking area for all our bikes! I don't mind letting someone borrow my truck and using it as a shuttle (2017 Ford F150 Super Cab, 4 door). I will arrive Thursday evening. So, my truck will not be available until then.

Peace,
Chris

·
Registered
295 Posts
Rode with blubaron Friday then his tire thread started showing so he couldn't ride Saturday so he left. In his absence I told all the Goldwing guys about our gathering since we were invited to theirs.

We may see a Goldwing or two next month.

Man those older guys on the wings were moving. I have no doubt they will keep up. If not pass a few of us.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
When Jörg and I visited last month, we rode our bikes around the entire camp. All the roads throughout the camp are gravel and were in good condition. However, conditions of gravel roads change dependent on weather, use, and maintenance. With that said, the road today may not be the same as it was in June and July.

Both Jörg and I rode our bikes up and down the entire length of the road to the motel, and our bikes were fully loaded with a week's long amount of camping gear. I was comfortable, but I am accustomed to riding on dirt and gravel and know how to drive in it. I do not assume my level of comfortable and confidence on a gravel roads is shared by all. I acknowledge everyone is different.

In July, there were sections of the road leading up to the motel that had various levels of gravel. Considering everyone's level of ability, experience, and confidence, my recommendation is to walk the road first and see where the best line is. Keep in mind that the CTX1300 is equipped with Traction Control (rear wheel). This should be turned off if needed (depending on conditions).

If needed/desired, people can choose to park their bikes at another location and walk to the motel. In fact, it may not be a bad idea to have a parking area for all our bikes! I don't mind letting someone borrow my truck and using it as a shuttle (2017 Ford F150 Super Cab, 4 door). I will arrive Thursday evening. So, my truck will not be available until then.

Peace,
Chris
That's good to hear. When Barry and I were there in May 2019 it looked like they had just put a few fresh layer of gravel on all the roads. I followed 2 Harleys and a Honda Valkyrie over to the motel and we were spinning going up the hill.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
500 Posts
Looks like it will be just me coming. MiWinger51 got a chance to go to Ireland ...

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
It is getting close....
The more the merrier. All welcome. Come join the fun.
This year at Fancy Gap Cabins and Campground 202595 Blue Ridge Pkwy, Fancy Gap, VA 24328
September 23rd - 26th. Website

This is who I have coming to the Meet Up In the Mountains currently:
@bljdb
@Blue Baron
@BlueThunder and his dog
@ctxbryan
@Emerson and his brother
@fbnewell1 and Emsee/Mike
@George Kreamer and wife
@HansenCTX and wife Jamie
@happytrails and Carol
@Koepper
@MikeThorn
@Stlburd2
@troystg and maybe wife
@Mama Bear and M ick

·
Registered
295 Posts
@Koepper

I should be riding back up to DC this Sunday and will ride down to Fancy Gap the following Thursday.

Do we have a group going down from the DMV? If so we can meet and ride down together.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I should be able to swing by and ride down together.

I'll confirm a time next week. But I would assume I will leave DC first thing in the morning.

141 - 160 of 173 Posts