CTX 1300 Forum banner
161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
steve, i live half way between the dragon and fancy gap. you are more than welcome to stay at my house on wednesday and we go together to the meetup on thursday via the brp.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
500 Posts
Sorry guys... but I won't be able to attend. Before I cancel my reservation... does anyone want to take it it? I am in motel room #7

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Steve, I live half way between the dragon and fancy gap. You are more than welcome to stay at my house on Wednesday and we go together to the meetup on Thursday via the BRP.
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I will be trailering my motorcycle so I will not be able to ride with you to the Meet Up. That would have been a nice trip together. I will meet you and everyone else Thursday afternoon/evening at Fancy Gap.

Does anyone want to recommend a dinner spot and time for Thursday night?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
All are still welcome. Come join the fun. You know you want to. :cool:

This year at Fancy Gap Cabins and Campground 202595 Blue Ridge Pkwy, Fancy Gap, VA 24328
September 23rd - 26th. Website

Looks like it could be a record attendance this year. This is who I have coming to the Meet Up In the Mountains currently:

@bljdb
@Blue Baron
@ctxbryan
@CTX_FTW
@Emerson and his brother
@fbnewell1 and Emsee/Mike
@George Kreamer and wife
@HansenCTX and wife Jamie
@happytrails and Carol
@Koepper
@MikeThorn
@Stlburd2
@troystg
@Mama Bear and M ick

·
Registered
295 Posts
Would be happy to ride with you there, let me know!
George- I rode up to DC yesterday and was slated to be here until Wednesday of next week and then ride down with you. Still the plan, however, there is a chance of me finishing here early and leaving Friday. If I do leave Friday I will trailer up to Fancy Gap from Huntsville.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 · (Edited)
Hello All!

Looking forward to next week. This time one week from now, many of us will be gathered at the campground sharing stories, drinks, and great fellowship! I am in awe of how much our event has grown since it's inception!

My wife and I will leave Anderson early Thursday morning ( I canceled all my classes on Thursday ). I am a 3 to 4 hour drive away. I hope to be at the camp by mid day ( lunch time ) so I can set up 'command central.' Once I get the 'booth' set up, I will get the patches out and any other 'swag' I have on hand. Bring cash to purchase your patch. We only have 25 for this year, so get yours before they are gone. I have some left overs from our past events, if you like to collect patches!

Ride days (Friday and Saturday) are full of great roads. Friday we will ride HWY 58 and 'The Snake' (HWY 421). Saturday we will ride 'Back of the Dragon'. Plan to meet for our day-ride at 9am for a group photo and meeting (location at camp for this is TBD). Kickstands up at 9:30am. Ride to lunch (about 2.5 - 3 hours way), then ride back to camp. Due to the size of our group and considering rider's varying experience levels and bladders, we will ride at a moderate pace (not to exceed the speed limit) and stop to break about every hour or so.

Thank you to everyone who helped me with ideas for this event. I am extremely busy at work, so your help with route suggestions and food locations helped a great deal!

Below are details. Thank you all for being a part of this event!

Chris Hansen (AKA, HansenCTX)

THE RIDES
Friday

HWY58 and The Snake is a 4.5 hour loop (it will be longer with stops, this may be a 6 hour day). The Shady Valley Country Store is a great stopping point. They have food, it is basic grill stuff (burgers, hotdogs, sandwiches, fries, etc.).​

Saturday
This is a 5 hour ride (2.5 hours each way). In Tazwell, we will stop at The Back of the Dragon Welcome Center where there is lots to do and see. They have a Food Truck. But, there are other options in the area if the food truck is not your thing.​

FOOD
Thank you Barry, for researching food locations near camp. Below is a listing of possible places folks may choose to go for breakfasts and dinners.

Breakfast
County Line Cafe, 956 E Stuart Dr, Galax, VA 24333​
25 minutes from Compound​
6am - 8pm​
6 - 11am Sat​
Closed Sun​

Shoney's, 2042 Carrollton Pike, Hillsville, VA 24343​
15-20 minutes from Compound​
Open daily 7am - 9pm​

Creekside Cafe, 1007 S Main St, Galax, VA 24333​
Opens 7am​
20 minutes from Compound​
7am - 2pm​
Closed Tue and Wed​

The Hillsville Diner, 525 N Main St, Hillsville, VA 24343​
Opens 6am​
15-20 minutes from Compound​
6am - 2pm​
6am - 11am Sat​
Closed Tue and Sun​

Other Food Options (Dinner)
Very Close to Camp
Mayberry Station Grill (Gas station with grill)​
5961 Chances Creek Rd, Fancy Gap, VA 24328​
The Gap Deli (I LOVE THIS PLACE)​
7975 Fancy Gap Hwy, Fancy Gap, VA 24328​
Pit Stop Pasta and Grill​
7145 Chances Creek Rd, Fancy Gap, VA 24328​
Lake View Restaurant​
7830 Fancy Gap Hwy, Fancy Gap, VA 24328​
15 - 20 Minutes from Camp
County Line Cafe​
956 E Stuart Dr, Galax, VA 24333​
Macado's​
201 N Main St, Galax, VA 24333​
RJ's Pizza and Subs​
1006 E Stuart Dr, Galax, VA 24333​
The Galax Smokehouse​
101 N Main St, Galax, VA 24333​
Shopping (Stuff and Beer)
Walmart​
1140 E Stuart Dr, Galax, VA 24333​
T&M Grocery & Deli​
12178 Fancy Gap Hwy, Cana, VA 24317​
Foodlion​
125 S Main St, Hillsville, VA 24343​
Food City​
955 E Stuart Dr, Galax, VA 24333​
Liquor Stores (close at 7pm)
Virginia ABC​
974 E Stuart Dr, Galax, VA 24333​
Virginia ABC​
441 W Stuart Dr, Hillsville, VA 24343​
Mt Airy (NC) ABC Store​
226 Starlite Rd, Mt Airy, NC 27030​
Closes at 9pm!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just a few more days. Weather is looking great except for some cool mornings around 40F. Not as bad as 2 years ago when it was below freezing at BRMC.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Just a few more days. Weather is looking great except for some cool mornings around 40F. Not as bad as 2 years ago when it was below freezing at BRMC.
Yes! Each year brings its own weather patterns. The first year it was perfect: clear skies and moderate temps. The next year was good too. Then, a hurricane/tropical storm came through. Then, the cold year. Then, the wet year. LOL!!! This year will be its own unique experience, and it will be great!

See you all Thursday.

Chris

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes. It is always an adventure. I was the only one left camping on Friday night in the entire campground last year after the tropical storm moved through at Suches.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts