CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Got in a short 22.2 mile ride today, just around the country block. 28 degrees when I left. Layering worked great. Should have dug out the battery powered heated gloves but didn’t have D batteries. I guess I’ll have to get the local shop to check out this “low ambient temperature” warning. I don’t know where the ambient is on this bike.
Merry Christmas all.

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
... I guess I’ll have to get the local shop to check out this “low ambient temperature” warning. I don’t know where the ambient is on this bike.
Merry Christmas all.
Low ambient temperature is shown any time the sensor registers a temp at or below 38F. This is by design since when the temp is sensed in one place at that temp it can be found much lower, like 32F or lower, in other places along the same road. Especially if there are bridges over water or low valleys. The temp can quickly drop to freezing and ice can form on the road. Plus, I've always found sensor indicated temps while riding to be a few degree higher on roads where traffic is constant than those where there is little to no traffic. Consider it a heads up warning about possible road conditions. Nothing related to the engine, only about the ambient air around you.

My first Burgman, my CTX, and my current Burgman all showed this in various ways. The Burgman has a snowflake light that flashes along with the temp reading flashing when temps drop to 38F or below. After a minute or so the Low Ambient Temperature warning goes away on the CTX1300, or the snowflake and temp readout stop flashing on the Burgman.
I've yet to find a bike temp sensor (factory supplied) that reads below 14F. After that your temp indicator will show only dashes (--).

I have seen that indication a lot during this time of year since I ride regardless what the temp may be... so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yah, what Bob said. I had a car with the same thing. It's a heads up to keep your eyes open for possible ice on the road at those temps. Especially on overpasses, in the shade, or if it's really windy. It's a nice thing to have. Black ice can be a killer.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I got the joke, but I'm not a big fan of that Low Temp warning. When it's cold, I already have the temperature displayed so I know how cold it is. I don't need a warning interrupting the display that was already showing temperature. The same goes for the way it interrupts what I'm monitoring for a low fuel warning. I am already aware of either situation and I find these warnings very annoying.

I had a white Christmas. None of my bikes got out this year. I tend to get a bit grumpy on the days I don't get to ride.

Happy Christmas to all y'all!

·
Registered
76 Posts
View attachment 46305 View attachment 46306 Got in a short 22.2 mile ride today, just around the country block. 28 degrees when I left. Layering worked great. Should have dug out the battery powered heated gloves but didn’t have D batteries. I guess I’ll have to get the local shop to check out this “low ambient temperature” warning. I don’t know where the ambient is on this bike.
Merry Christmas all.
LOL, did you remember to swap out the summer and fall air for winter air in your tires? Very important safety tip!
Merry Christmas,
Bruce

1 - 9 of 9 Posts