CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So want some opinions. I need to run a micro USB cord to my handle bars for my cell phone to keep it charged. I was just thinking of getting a 12v outlet and hook it directly to the battery and then a micro USB cord up to the handle bars. Seems pretty simple. Has anyone done something similar and maybe have some ideas or improvements on this?
Cheers!
Austin

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Usb

So want some opinions. I need to run a micro USB cord to my handle bars for my cell phone to keep it charged. I was just thinking of getting a 12v outlet and hook it directly to the battery and then a micro USB cord up to the handle bars. Seems pretty simple. Has anyone done something similar and maybe have some ideas or improvements on this?
Cheers!
Austin
Have you not got the USB connection in the right hand pocket.
Cheers melv

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
If you DO have the USB connector in the right pocket I would simply plug into that. May have to put a notch in the rib around the pocket for the cable to exit (suggest one side or other and also add a bit of self stick foam to protect from weather).

If you do NOT have the USB connector then add a 12v socket up front somewhere (your choice, more versatile) and use one of THESE to plug the phone cord into. For something a bit more weather resistant you could also go with a Powerlet (BMW type 12v socket that locks the plug). There are Powerlet plugs that are equivalent to the one in that Amazon link.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Usb

Okay. I guess I should read through my manual! I'll check to see if I have the USB port.
Thanks!
Austin
Was not too sure if our UK/European version was that much different,we have a 12v power socket under the seat right hand side.
Cheers Melv

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Okay. I guess I should read through my manual! I'll check to see if I have the USB port.
Thanks!
Austin
Hold up a sec, Austin. Let me tell you my experience with the USB cable in the right-hand pocket. It's true that it does supply power, but it also tries to identify anything plugged into it as an audio device, which is no big deal (because your phone *is* an audio device) until your phone freaks out because it isn't staying charged. Last summer, I took a long ride to Lancaster PA, and during the trip I was dismayed that my phone was steadily losing power in spite of being plugged into the USB port in the right pocket. It's because I was using the phone as a GPS and I had my screen up on full brightness and probably had the bluetooth turned on as well. Thing is, I didn't realize that my battery was dying until it was almost completely dead. I lost my navigational aid and couldn't use my phone because, for some reason, the phone wouldn't take a charge at all from that port once it died. I ended up buying a rechargeable backup battery from Target and that worked fine. To keep that from happening again, I installed a Battery Tender pigtail to my battery, and then got a USB converter for it. My phone has had zero issues, and it keeps charging (and fast!) even when the GPS is active all day. Plus, I recently bought another adapter for that pigtail, and if I need it, I can now power a 12-volt plug too. Here's what I have:
For a little over $20 and a total time investment of about 10 minutes for hook-up, I am pretty well covered. :)
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Definitely will. I use it more than bluetooth.

Reactions: JBone

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I also use a micro SD card with a micro SD card reader (even though the manual states that shouldn't work). It works fine. I can then reserve my phone just for phone calls directly connected BT to my helmet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hold up a sec, Austin. Let me tell you my experience with the USB cable in the right-hand pocket. It's true that it does supply power, but it also tries to identify anything plugged into it as an audio device, which is no big deal (because your phone *is* an audio device) until your phone freaks out because it isn't staying charged. Last summer, I took a long ride to Lancaster PA, and during the trip I was dismayed that my phone was steadily losing power in spite of being plugged into the USB port in the right pocket. It's because I was using the phone as a GPS and I had my screen up on full brightness and probably had the bluetooth turned on as well. Thing is, I didn't realize that my battery was dying until it was almost completely dead. I lost my navigational aid and couldn't use my phone because, for some reason, the phone wouldn't take a charge at all from that port once it died. I ended up buying a rechargeable backup battery from Target and that worked fine. To keep that from happening again, I installed a Battery Tender pigtail to my battery, and then got a USB converter for it. My phone has had zero issues, and it keeps charging (and fast!) even when the GPS is active all day. Plus, I recently bought another adapter for that pigtail, and if I need it, I can now power a 12-volt plug too. Here's what I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...pebp=1441134062596&perid=0TYDD7FT1FA0DMM2JFH6
Amazon.com: Battery Tender 081-0158 Black Quick Disconnect Plug with USB Charger: Automotive
Amazon.com: Battery Tender 081-0069-8 Female Cigarette Adaptor for Quick Disconnect: Automotive
For a little over $20 and a total time investment of about 10 minutes for hook-up, I am pretty well covered. :)
Hope this helps!
IIRC, the manual says the USB connector in the bike is not meant to charge anything which is layman's terms for "it only does 500mA maximum", which is the maximum allowable under USB2.0.

Most phones nowadays need in the range of 750mA to 1A charging current if all the bells and whistles are on (GPS, screen, sound, BT etc.). Yes, this means you'll never manage to keep your phone up from a regular, computer-like port.

Your only solution, if your phone is in that category, is to power the phone separately, from a dedicated USB power supply that is designed for charging phones and thus supplies 1 or 2A.

Of course, a mixed solution can be made in which your phone takes power from the dedicated supply (so that you can keep it with the screen on indefinitely) but the USB interface connects to the bike so that you can play back music files from the phone's internal storage.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I also use a micro SD card with a micro SD card reader (even though the manual states that shouldn't work). It works fine. (...)
They say that because the SD card may fall off from the reader, since the pocket is not padded and the bike vibrates, thus presumably bouncing things around.

From the point of view of technical compatibility, there is absolutely no problem and any device, of any shape, size or description, that presents itself as an USB Mass Storage Device with only one partition formatted as FAT32 will do.
Shamefully, the bike's audio box doesn't fully support UTF-8, so if your files (or tags therein) contain non ASCII characters, they will not display (which would make the case of a thumb drive full of Japanese songs quite funny), but other than that particular situation, it should work with anything that is an USB drive.

Reactions: bob

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Typically, on my bike, I have a USB thumb drive plugged into the right-hand pocket with hundreds of songs organized by folder. It's easy to switch between folders, but the more you have the more times you have to hit the dash button (and ride with one hand off the bars). I also have my phone paired with my helmet headset, so I can (and sometimes do) listen to streaming music from my phone. Before I had the headset, I paired my phone to the bike and listened through the bike speakers. I do love having options! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any way to shuffle songs on a thumb drive? I would like to randomize song selection instead of always heading out with "A" song titles - After the Goldrush, Ain't Too Proud to Beg, All Along the Watchtower, etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Put your songs in a single folder on the drive and the different song titles will play in order, from the different artists being random somewhat... or do one better, manually and randomly add a 3 or 4 digit number at the beginning of each song title. It will still play in order but per the random numbering you give it. No option in the audio system on the bike to shuffle the songs that I know of. I do find that the audio system will remember where I left off and next time I use it the song list plays starting right where I was before.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess the USB port in the right hand pocket is only available in the "Deluxe" version of the CTX. Not an issue though as I have the will and technology to correct. I'm going with a 12volt socket so that I can at least have multiple charging options if needed. Should have my parts by this weekend to install. Only thing now is to remove the battery cover without damaging it...looks like I have a challenge on my hand!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts