CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very good possibility I will be in the Austin area this coming Wednesday through noon Friday. My wife has daytime meetings all day Wed and Thur (Apr 06 & 07), and I will be along only as “arm candy” for the evening events. Right now, looks like I will have things squared away on the farm, and am thinking I will take the mighty CTX and ride some of the nice routes within a 150-mile radius of the Austin area while she’s busy. Wondering if anybody else wants to join? Or has suggestions for routes? Have several routes in mind already. Just throwing this out there. Is a slight chance I won’t go, but probably 85% / 15% for a go/no-go. Let me know.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Am 2/3 of the way to the Austin area. (Making my 1 gas stop). Will be riding the Texas Hill Country to the north and west of Austin through Friday noon. Give me a shout if in the area.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Come on - I am wearing a jacket ... it has CE armor strategically placed !!!

Rode some this afternoon, about 125 miles, just kinda meandering around. “Accidentally” turned onto two different stretches of excellent twisties. Have sat down this evening an planned out a lengthy all-day ride for tomorrow. Used online motorcycling sources, as well as a close look at local maps, and I am quite sure this ride tomorrow will be satisfactory!!

(Edit): Here ya go, Stan - a pic of me dressed to the nines !!! This is in the front drive of our hotel - the Kalahari Resorts and Convention Center in Round Rock, TX. They’ve got a lot of big critters out front ...
Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Logged about 310 miles today over 8-1/2 hours, riding some really great roads. Managed to stop and take some pics - which I rarely ever do.

Pics #4 & #5 are a building constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930’s, located along Park Road 4 at Longhorn Caverns State Park. Park Road 4 is one of the best riding roads in the area, located between Burnet and Marble Falls (rode it 2 times each way today!). Inks Lake State Park is along this stretch, as well.

Pic #2 is a stone structure at the intersection of Park Road 4 and US Hwy 281. I assume it was constructed by the CCC, as well. Not sure ... just thought it looked cool.

Pic #1 is a roadside picnic area just a couple miles north of Marble Falls.

Pic #3 is a better look at the sculptures at the Kalahari Resorts and Convention Center. There are zebras and a couple giraffes, as well. Very interesting decor throughout the resort.

Two must-ride routes in the immediate NW Austin area: 1) Marshall Ford/Volente/Cedar Park area - Bullick Hollow Rd to Farm Road 2769 to Lime Creek Road to Anderson Mills Road (rode it 3 times today!). 2) Briarcliff/The Hills/Lakeway area - Bee Creek Rd to Highlands Blvd to Lakeway Blvd to Ranch Road 620 (rode it yesterday and today).

So, am now planning my route home. Had so much fun in the twisties around here that I am thinking I will ride the 125 miles / 2-1/2 hours to Kerrville and partake of at least part of the Three Sisters on my way home.

Oh - and I have NO DOUBT that a car tire is up to the task on the back of the CTX. Was dragging and scraping pegs so much I may need to change the wear bolts on the bottom!!!
Tire Plant Sky Wheel Automotive tire

Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Sky Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire

Plant Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made it home this afternoon right at 6 pm. Another 570 miles in ~10 hours. Did manage to hit RR337, one of the “Three Sisters”. And - wouldn’t ya know it ... about 1/2 a mile from where I hit a deer with my Magna back in Nov ‘17, there was a deer on both sides of the road! As I crept through, all I was thinking was ”I may have killed your grandpa a few years back”!!!!

Total of 1,385 miles over 3-1/2 days, riding roads with curves and switchbacks and elevation changes and trees and rocky hills ... all stuff we don’t have here at home. Now - I have to go give the bike a bath - it’s a filthy mess!
Plant Tire Helmet Wheel Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Made it home this afternoon right at 6 pm. Another 570 miles in ~10 hours. Did manage to hit RR337, one of the “Three Sisters”. And - wouldn’t ya know it ... about 1/2 a mile from where I hit a deer with my Magna back in Nov ‘17, there was a deer on both sides of the road! As I crept through, all I was thinking was ”I may have killed your grandpa a few years back”!!!!

Total of 1,385 miles over 3-1/2 days, riding roads with curves and switchbacks and elevation changes and trees and rocky hills ... all stuff we don’t have here at home. Now - I have to go give the bike a bath - it’s a filthy mess!
View attachment 47704
View attachment 47703
I just noticed your blue pinstripe on the bike, not the wheels part. That looks pretty dang good.
I think I would do it in white or something. The blue might get people thinking it's a police bike.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How about these? Same bike. Ran the silver double stripe for about a year. Subtle, stylish. Tried the bright red - too “in your face” for me! Then installed the bright blue, and really liked it. Then bought the reflective tape for the wheels, which is very close in color to the pinstriping.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
The silver is a nice neutral color and I like the red. It's a real head turner.
But I'm thinking gold, since I painted the Honda on the valve covers and the engine cover gold.
Hope you don't mind, but I might borrow your idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts