CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering if the detuned CTX1300 was able to get better Fuel mileage and by how much compared to the ST1300.

Anyone tracking their fuel mileage for the CTX13 yet.?

I think I would be happy with 50mpg, but I would be Ok with 45mpg.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The New GL1800 Valkyrie gets 50mpg, that is some very good economy for a 6 cyl. 1800cc engine and 750-lbs

My new NC700X normally get from 78 to 82 MPG.

While mileage is not everything, it is another detail and better MPG means more miles ridden without thinking about fuel prices.

I had a Suzuki 08' C109RT that got 32MPG 1800cc big twin 900-lbs cruiser.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's what they are saying on the Valkyrie Forum, less front area, and no shield, so a much smaller foot print to push through the thick water like atmosphere.

I cant believe that the CB1100 gets 70mpg.

But it has one throttle body that feeds all 4 cylinders.

Thanks 48 Mpg is pretty good i Imagine i would get around 50+ mpg with a CTX13 as i dont have many stops, i think maybe 2 stop in a few hundred miles, on all the riding i do.

I'm averaging a very consistent 48 mpg jobs at about every tankful. Mix of city and highway. I don't beat on it, but I don't baby it, either.
Are you sure about that 50 mpg for the new Valk? Those things usually struggle to get anything close to 40.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
@westgl
Here's one thread in the forums on how far on a tank.

I've been noticing the usual effect of cooler weather on the CTX1300, same as every other bike I've had. The mpg is dropping a bit as the temp does. We've had many mornings now with temps at or below 50*F and the mpg on my usual commute, mix of highway and city, is dropping from around 48+ mpg to closer to 44 mpg on the morning parts. The instant reading for the highway speeds (55-60 mph) is what is most different during the cooler temps. In warm air above 70*F I get in the range of 49-53 mpg instant reading, and in cool air below 50*F I get in the range of 44-47 mpg.

As I said, this is the same I noticed on my ST1100 and the other bikes I've owned. I expect to keep it over 40 mpg even as temps drop below freezing so this bike is still better than the ST and WAY better than my old GL1500 was.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, when I travel out of town I was getting average readings per tank over 52 mpg. Temps for those trips were warmer than 70*F

I may be taking a 6 hour round trip to a relative's wedding in November. Hoping the weather cooperates so I can ride the bike since I'd be going solo. Will see what the mpg will be for that trip. Expect temps in the 30s *F. most of that trip. We'll see.

· Registered
446 Posts
My numbers so far (after some 2200km (1367mi) on the clock):

• 5l/100km (47MPG US) highway under 110km/h (68.4mph)
  • 5.5l/100km (43MPG US) highway above 110km/h
  • 7.5l/100km (32MPG US) city stop&go traffic
The ambient temperature has always been under 22C (71F) and above 10C (50F) and there has always been some form of wind on the highway -- not gale force, but not perfectly calm either.

· Registered
313 Posts
The best I have ever done is 43mpg. But I have a passenger a good bit of the time, and I do run it a bit more aggressively than some here. Last week I used the bike to commute to work (14 miles each way, most of it stop and go), and got 37mpg.

These numbers sound bad compared to others, but I assure you, I have a lot of fun getting this terrible mileage. :)

· Premium Member
907 Posts
The best I have ever done is 43mpg. But I have a passenger a good bit of the time, and I do run it a bit more aggressively than some here. Last week I used the bike to commute to work (14 miles each way, most of it stop and go), and got 37mpg.

These numbers sound bad compared to others, but I assure you, I have a lot of fun getting this terrible mileage. :)
My commute is 30 miles of arrow-straight road... just about as boring a ride as you can find. I live for those little curves and even a slight change in elevation. My new mission in life is to get some weekend mileage numbers in the 38-40 range. :smileygarden_de_ban

· Registered
131 Posts
My mixed driving has been pretty much yielding from ~45.5 to 48+ mpgs. Lower numbers reflect more spirited times and higher of course for more relaxed rides. A little surprising since I tend to see low 40s with my Wing which sees 2 Up ~ 1/2 the time and CTX remains solo... till I add a truck with pad (oem or Givi) in back. So not quite as high as hoped for but fine enough.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
45 mpg from dealer to home on freeway.
46 on next two fillups with 50% freeway and 50% rural two lane.
51+ with rural 2 lanes 100%.
Now I've reached my 600 mile breakin and will see what changes.

· Registered
263 Posts
I bought the bike one day and left for an extended trip a couple of days later with three friends. The bike was in stock dress, with about 50lbs. of gear strapped on.

We rode Interstate and secondary roads and eventually mountain twisty roads. I kept the speed down for the first 800 miles due to the break in period. We only stopped for fuel.While under way we maintained a steady speed ( the Harley in the group had cruise control and we keyed off of him).

After 1700 miles the mpg computer on the bike showed 46.5 mpg.

After I got home, the Honda shop called and told me that my windshield and other stuff was in.

The bikes primary mission is to be my commuter vehicle back and forth to work. It's 70 miles for the round. Mostly Interstate. I average about 70-75 mph both ways. After installing the windshield my mileage has dropped to 40.5. I knew that would happen. It's worth it. The wind coming off of the stock (non) windshield was quite violent.

I'm thinking that by riding conservatively I might squeak out 43-44mpg. we'll see.

FS

· Premium Member
111 Posts
The CTX13 averaged 49 mpg for my season of 3932 miles. Its been a normal season of mostly commuting the 16 miles to work and a couple long overnight rides. It obviously is more efficient when its warm, which is what I expected, and its hard to get the bike engine warm on my short 8 mile commute runs into work. So the commuting I do lowers the numbers. I got a high number of 60 mpg and a low of 37.5 on a very spirited mountain ride. I think the engine is still tight and will get better next season. We'll see. But I will say my tanks with the 91 non ethanol were no better than 87 e. In fact I think the switching from one octane to the other was not good. Just like a previous poster stated, it may take the computer a while to meter the different gas properly, or it just is not tuned for the higher octane. The only time I will put 91 non ethanol in the tank from now on is for winter storage.

· Super Moderator
6,118 Posts
There's that phrase again... "winter storage"
What IS that anyway! :D

I have noticed that as the temps drop around here so does the mpg. While it was warm I was getting instant readings in the low 50s mpg for my commute on the highway on level road with temps over 70+*F. But with temps much lower I am getting from upper 40s mpg in the warmer 50+*F ride home in the afternoon to upper 30s mpg in the cooler 38+*F ride to work in the morning. On the very slight down slopes (there actually are some here in Iowa) the mpg does get up over 50 mpg as the motor is more coasting and on the corresponding up slopes the mpg goes down to the mid/low 30s mpg as the motor has to labour just a bit more.

Next week we are expecting morning low temps in the teens*F so we'll see what the mpg gets down to in that. I'll be hooking up my heated gloves controller this weekend for the first time since I'll need it now. Have already been down to 33*F on my ride to work a week ago but my Polar-Tex gloves and the liner in my jacket are plenty for that. I turn on the electric heat when temps drop below freezing. I'm running the Coldest Ride contest over on the ST-Owners forum this year so drop over there to see some really serious cool weather riders from time to time :)

· Registered
14 Posts
I just went to a site that Bob suggested.

Performance
Fuel Capacity: 5.1 gals., warning light on last 1.0 gal.
MPG: 86 PON min. (low/avg/high) 33.2/40.2/46.3
Estimated Range: 205 miles
Indicated RPM at 60 MPH: 3,250

This is exactly what I get with a full tank of gas. 205 miles. That's mostly on country roads. I'm just coming back from a 400 miles trip which was only highways and I could get only 180 miles out of my tank. But I was riding at 75 - 80 miles per hour. Small bursts here and there to pass cars. I'm a bit agressive rider. I accelerate hard often. I love the torque of this bike.

· Super Moderator
6,118 Posts
Lately I've been seeing somewhere between 215-235 miles per tank on my commutes during these warmer months. When I was travelling for the recent trips I've been on I usually see between 225-260 miles per tank. Of course I do fill up about 20-30 miles before that, but the miles travelled plus the indicated range remaining shows those mile figures. On my trip to Spearfish I did run on i90 for a short time and speed limit there is 80 mph. I found the mpg dropped way down at that speed so that my average indicated I would only get 180-190 on a tank. I'm not so aggressive and prefer to keep my speeds to 55-65 mph so I seek out those roads. Much less traffic there also. I currently have 13500 miles on the bike and use mostly 10% ethanol, 87 octane per user manual.

· Premium Member
1,160 Posts
46-50mph, depending on the usual conditions of temp, traffic, speed, and acceleration. No trunk/passenger.

Midrange octane to avoid preignition.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.