CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I installed the Kuryakyn mini boards. Total install was super easy and took about 20 minutes. The correct adapter is 8808. There are three possible positions. Initially I went with the center hole but that didn't leave enough room under the shifter for my fat foot. so...I moved them back to the front hole. Perfect. There are also multiple angle adjustments but mostly I just tried to get them flat. Resting your feet on a flat surface is surely more relaxing. And it is a lot easier to find the rest point when launching. I think these will be a good investment over the long term. However, I suspect they may scrape if you lean it over quite a bit. Haven't done that yet. :520:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Nice! They look like they belong on the bike. The important thing is if they're comfortable. Hope they work out for ya. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
They really look very neat. I am also very curious how quick they are going to scrape comparing to the stock ones. Looking fwd to your comments once you experience this...

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
VERY nice! :smiley-party0005: Thanks for being the guinea pig on these. I may do the same thing, as I kinda miss the floorboards I had on the Shadow and this would be the next best thing.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Question: did you get model 7579? That looks like the right part number for the gloss black ones that work with the splined adapters...

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I'm glad that's the right number, because I took a chance and ordered them this morning! :eek:

It looks like you and I have TWO things in common now: the mini floorboards, and the Skene Design lights. At least our bikes are different colors so we can tell them apart! :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Followup: I just did a 160 mile trip with the new mini-boards. I give them two thumbs up. They really do provide a lot more flexibility in foot position. And on the open road your feet and ankles are more relaxed. Didn't manage to touch them on the pavement yet.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Thanks for being the pioneer on this one. Mine arrived today and will get installed tonight, just before my first long trip. I have gotten occasional cramps in my right leg on the CTX, and I hope these will help.

Speaking of that' I've noticed that my right knee frequently is up against the rubber end of the engine "cover" but my left knee never touches it. Either I am sitting weird, or one leg is longer than the other. Or maybe I just tend to keep my right leg extended further, toward the brake pedal. I'll figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
Actually one side of the engine is offset back a little more than the other. The cylinders are not directly across from each other but staggered/alternating left/right.
Or maybe your right leg IS longer :eek:

I've also noted what the Honda web videos stated about offsetting the engine to the right a bit to compensate for the wider rear tire rather than redesigning the output shaft and engine block/transmission case from the ST. If I think about it and really look at it I can see it offset to the right side a little. Really don't notice it though with I am not specifically looking for it. It's only offset maybe an inch if that? :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Actually one side of the engine is offset back a little more than the other. The cylinders are not directly across from each other but staggered/alternating left/right.
Or maybe your right leg IS longer :eek:

I've also noted what the Honda web videos stated about offsetting the engine to the right a bit to compensate for the wider rear tire rather than redesigning the output shaft and engine block/transmission case from the ST. If I think about it and really look at it I can see it offset to the right side a little. Really don't notice it though with I am not specifically looking for it. It's only offset maybe an inch if that? :350x700px-LL-66dd6d
Offset 10 mm, as I recall. And that's why the battery is up front and on the left, to balance that weight difference. I agree, you really have to look for it (assuming you even know the engine is off-center) to see a difference between the left and right sides.

These V-4's are certainly strange beasts in that regard. As I also recall, the downtubes on the 3rd gen Magna are not symmetrical because of the way the exhaust headers exit the heads (again, alluding to Bob's point that the left and right cylinders -- or in the case of the Magna the front and rear -- are not exactly aligned. No wonder nobody else wants to build them!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Just a followup: I installed the boards. It was really easy once I figured out what I had to do. I did have the left one loosen up while riding on Saturday, so now that I know where I want it positioned I'll put some Loctite on the threads and tighten it up good.

I really am enjoying having a place to move my feet around a little. It took just a bit of time to adjust my foot position slightly, especially on the left. I also had to mount them all the way to the rear in order to be able to get my foot in there to shift.

Next project: mounting the phone. I have a waterproof case on order and will let you know how it goes.

Reactions: sleepngbear

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Who did you guys
order the mini boards thru? Looks like a great way to go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Speaking of that' I've noticed that my right knee frequently is up against the rubber end of the engine "cover" but my left knee never touches it. Either I am sitting weird, or one leg is longer than the other. Or maybe I just tend to keep my right leg extended further, toward the brake pedal. I'll figure it out.
My right shin was getting seriously bruised there for awhile as I would slide my foot straight forward to engage the brake peddle, sometimes slamming my shin into the valve cover.
Now I keep my right foot at the outer end of the peg and have learned to rotate my foot inward to engage the brake with the right instep.
What I'd really love is a "brake peddle extention".

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Who did you guys
order the mini boards thru? Looks like a great way to go.
I got the floorboards through Amazon. But they didn't have the spline adapters (Kuryakyn part 8808) in stock, so I got those from Dennis Kirk. They both arrived the same day, so it worked out fine.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Mini Floorboards

Just ordered from Dennis Kirk. Thanks for the tip Steve.
Kuryakyn Premium gloss black. #7579. D.K. part #4900493. $80.99. Adapter Spline #8808. D.K. #495209. $22.38. Total $103.37. Free shipping. Looks like a great look for the Blacked out Deluxe.
Thanks for the ride reviews on these floor boards guys.

Reactions: Lighter

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
My right shin was getting seriously bruised there for awhile as I would slide my foot straight forward to engage the brake peddle, sometimes slamming my shin into the valve cover.
Now I keep my right foot at the outer end of the peg and have learned to rotate my foot inward to engage the brake with the right instep.
What I'd really love is a "brake peddle extention".
Jim, I left you a suggestion here about that, but you never responded! :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
406 Posts
has anybody figured out if any of the heel toe shifters will work on the CTX,, After a 4 hour ride last night I remembered why I installed the heel toe shifter on my wings,, Gout is a painful thing when you ignore it

1 - 20 of 67 Posts